Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: H4D Repair in UK - Aux shutter broken  (Read 3878 times)

mitchino

H4D Repair in UK - Aux shutter broken
« on: March 30, 2016, 01:37:27 pm »

My H4D-50 failed mid shoot last week. Got an Aux Shutter fault message, and I can see that one end of the aux shutter has come loose and is not getting pulled across.

Whom do I contact/Where do I go for repair in the UK?

NickT

mitchino

Re: H4D Repair in UK - Aux shutter broken
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 02:36:54 pm »

Thanks Paul - what was the cost btw?

mitchino

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 02:43:08 am »

Wow, that's well cheap, I've heard i can be an £800 repair!

Chris Livsey

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 03:50:57 am »

Wow, that's well cheap, I've heard i can be an £800 repair!

Why run on "I've heard" ?
The link kindly provided by Nick above directs you to the fixed costs: http://www.hasselblad.com/support/repairs/cost-estimates-and-fixed-service-prices/

There are two possibles if you look at the original link, replacement of the shutter or the drive unit, one involves AF calibration. I have no experience of Happyblad and no reason to think they are not doing excellent work but personally, unless speed was an absolute priority, and given the rental market available that is not an issue and is one of the reasons for choosing Hasselblad, I would personally trust the factory for AF calibration but it's your camera and money.
I would also suspect that if you are looking to sell the body in the next year or two having a factory service invoice to flourish could well make up the difference in resale value against the higher cost.

mitchino

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 06:14:52 am »

I hear you  :)

Chris Livsey

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2016, 01:29:54 pm »

The O/P ask about replacing an auxiliary shutter in an H4D .
There are no shutters in the true meaning of the word in any H bodies.
This repair has nothing to do with A/F and there is nothing to calibrate.

Well I'm sorry but Hasselblad disagree with you:

Auxiliary shutter replacement (factory service only) Euro 325.00**Note: This price includes an AF calibration. May appear as 2 separate lines on the invoice, but the sum will be as listed.

This is under Body repairs nothing to do with the lens shutter, and I have no idea why AF needs recalibration. A main board replacement also requires this but Auxiliary shutter drive unit replacement   395.00 does not. I don't know which repair is needed obviously.
I am not dishing Happyblad at all, I was careful to say that clearly I have no reason to do so just as I have no reason to promote factory service, I am pointing out to the OP the options available and my opinion, worthless though it may be, on those.
My H1 factory service visit was under 10 days door to door last year I do think 4 to 6 weeks is unreasonable as is the rental charge, BTW are Happyblad still in business? The web site is unreachable and their last Facebook entry was over 12 months ago.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 01:51:10 pm by Chris Livsey »

mitchino

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2016, 03:48:06 am »

The problem I have is shown and repaired in these videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Iwb1xI-wJg
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 04:11:28 am by mitchino »

NickT

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2016, 12:22:49 am »

The web site is unreachable and their last Facebook entry was over 12 months ago.

This is silly, they are very much in business and there site is up just fine. Perhaps you are looking at an orphan Facebook page? They are plenty active on social media.

Chris Livsey

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2016, 03:49:47 am »

This is silly, they are very much in business and there site is up just fine. Perhaps you are looking at an orphan Facebook page? They are plenty active on social media.

I am not a Social Media Guru but if I google Happyblad Facebook and click on I get this
https://www.facebook.com/Happybladrepairs/

Now they may be plenty active but Google linking does not reflect that. Are orphan pages not removable?

They may not need an active Web presence either:
http://www.happyblad.com/
This site can’t be reached
www.happyblad.com’s server DNS address could not be found.

Perhaps if you posted a link to the active sites that would be a suitable conclusion and actually helpeful, in no way am I trying to be silly BTW, I started off trying to be helpful to the OP why do I have to keep coming back to defend myself when I post what I factually see?

NickT

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2016, 03:38:45 pm »

LOL sorry Chris
I thought you were referring to Hasselblad as Happyblad all along!

Chris Livsey

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2016, 05:08:13 pm »

LOL sorry Chris
I thought you were referring to Hasselblad as Happyblad all along!

;D ;D

Douglas Fairbank

• Retired Hasselblad service technician
    • Classic V
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2016, 09:24:06 am »

I can supply a little information here. My credentials are that I was senior technician for Hasselblad UK, I worked for the company for 38 years until the service centres were reduced to just 3. I continued to work repairing V system equipment as an authorised independent service centre, Classic V, until I retired completely last year. Classic V continues to thrive without me guided by Jeffrey Fairbank, also a fully qualified Hasselblad technician.

The very clever construction of the H cameras allow for various large assemblies within the camera to be repaired or replaced without altering basic alignments, so a shutter drive unit exchange does not require an AF calibration. The blind assembly however does include a support for the mirror and in theory replacing that part should mean a recalibration should be done, however the tolerance of the replacement parts were found to be sufficiently good that in practice recalibration was not required.

I understand that 'Happyblad' are no more but if you contact Classic V they may have more up to date information. www.classicv.co.uk
Douglas Fairbank LRPS

Chris Livsey

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2016, 01:26:32 pm »

Thank you Douglas, glad you visited us, do enjoy your retirement.
Pages: [1]   Go Up