Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon iPF 8300 Power Supply error  (Read 4594 times)

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
Canon iPF 8300 Power Supply error
« on: March 30, 2016, 12:40:55 pm »

I turned my 8300 off a few weeks ago when there were some storms in the area and we had threatened power interruptions.  It's on a UPS which likely would not have lasted if we had a several hour interruption.  We never got any in any case but I forgot to turn it back on and by chance didn't make any prints until today.  Now I get a message "Hardware error 03130031-2618, turn printer off/on etc..."

When I do this and try to print the same message comes up again.  I can print a head test but not do any calibration, nor an image without the same message coming up.  In addition to turning off/on the printer I've pulled the plug from the UPS and let it sit for a few minutes before restarting and still get the error when I try to print.

The manual says this is a Power Supply error.  In the manual the PS PCB looks like it's fairly accessible and I see a couple on ebay although I'll need to verify the p/n.

• Has anyone had this error and replaced the PCB and recovered their printer?
  • Any recommendations on getting parts aside from ebay?
  • Any other suggestions/recommendations?

Thanks!

Edit : This printer is pretty young in paper inches.  I've only just replaced the 1st ink (grey), and it's given me no problems so far...

Kanvas Keepsakes

Re: Canon iPF 8300 Power Supply error
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 11:27:31 pm »

McBroom let me chime in here due to the fact that I just had a similar situation with my ipf8300.  I've had mine about 4yrs now so it was a little dated.  My issue was my printer would turn on and instantly turn off within 5 seconds.  Misdiagnosis by Canon led me to believe my power supply was going out and I would have to replace it.  I went on eBay and was able to find one that was used for about $95.  Here's the catch.  There is no documentation anywhere that I could find that shows you how to replace it.  Seems to be something only "certified Canon techs" have access to.  I read about another user with the issue and when they sent the Canon tech out to the site, they had to call Canon and they walked them over how to replace the part on the phone.  I found several local Canon techs and called to ask their rates to change my part that I was going to be purchasing on eBay.  They all told me since it's a used part they won't install it.  If it gets installed and doesn't work or go bad they didn't want to be responsible for it.  So no way of getting it replaced unless I purchased a new part direct from Canon with warranty and proof of purchase.  What a headache. 
Good thing in my case it wasn't the power supply.  Ended up being a bad power outlet on my wall.  Hope any of this info helps.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 04:38:43 am »

Thanks Kanvas.
I did some more digging around and on the web I found one website (that offers repairs in the UK, no good to me here) that says the error is likely the print head not the PS.  I went into the service menu and ran a nozzle check, then another head print check and I got a black grid missing every other column.  I also looked at all of the error codes from yesterday and the 1st one that told me to power down the printer and restart it was 03800500-2F43 (About single chip (A or B, EVEN or ODD) and all nozzles (640-nozzles) of one color, the non-discharge is detected.)

At this point I think I may either call Canon or try replacing that printhead, although I understand that if one goes the other is likely not far behind.

Landscapes

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 09:05:01 pm »

Given that you say every other column is missing, I'm not sure this is the printhead.  When there is symmetry like this to missing nozzles, I think it usually points to something electrical, such as the carriage unit, or the main board.  I had both of mine replaced on my 6400 under warranty.  It gets pretty tricky because if its the main board, but you only replace the printhead, it will just kill the printhead.  For me, it was the main board, but the first time they replaced the carriage unit (that has a board in it too), and this didn't fix the problem.  But when the main board was replaced, it still didn't work because the replaced carriage unit was fried by the old main board that was bad.  So even though its expensive, you almost have to work upstream.  A bad board can fry a carriage unit which can fry the printhead.  Of course there is no real way to diagnose these things I don't think other than throwing parts at it unfortunately.  I guess if you already have a printhead, it doesn't hurt to try, but its an expensive test.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 04:49:39 am »

Thanks Landscapes.  I don't have a printhead yet, still mulling what to do.  I've resurrected an unused Epson 4880 to keep me going.

I made semiconductor chips for DEC and Intel for 30 years using multi-million $$ machines and it can be tough and always frustrating finding the fix to a nebulous issue 1st time to prevent unnecessary spares use, as well as extended downtime.  I suppose I could get a printhead and try it, and if it dies then it would be covered under it's own warranty and I'd get a replacement from the Canon tech as the next step.

Malcolm Payne

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 03:24:31 pm »

Mike,

Just to add another data point, I had an issue last Nov. with the lower half of each block in the LLK on the right head appearing faint in a normal nozzle check. In the service mode nozzle check, this showed as alternate missing columns in the same lower half of the LLK blocks (see attachment). A replacement head cured the problem.

The head had failed at 310 days installed time and only 52k MDots. Canon UK were singularly unhelpful and refused even to consider warranty replacement as the original purchase date was around 15 months prior to failure, despite that it appeared to be a clear case of electrical failure in the head..

My other experience suggests that, where a block fails completely (most commonly light magenta), that is often the result of a faulty flexible data cable from the main board to the carriage.

Good luck.

Malcolm

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2016, 03:43:59 pm »

Thanks Malcolm.

This is the pattern I'm getting in the black ink.  My 1st regular nozzle check was OK, and it ran even though it coughed up the fault when I tried to print a file.  In the service menu I got the missing column from the nozzle1 print pattern, and now it won't print a test pattern.

Did you get similar errors, or did yours just start printing badly and show the poor test pattern indicating a failed head?

Thanks

Malcolm Payne

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2016, 05:19:26 pm »

Mike,

I first noticed the problem with this head coincidentally with a print that had a single fine blank line running through it, though this was parallel to the head travel rather than normal to it. I ran a nozzle check anyway and found the faint lower block, followed by the missing columns in service mode. There were no errors displayed on the control panel or other symptoms, though I didn't check the internal error log. Other than that, the printer (iPF8300) continued to behave normally prior to head replacement.

I seem to recall from somewhere that Canon recommend powering down and unplugging from the wall outlet for a full 30 min as a cure for some ailments, so there's nothing to lose trying that if you haven't already done so.

--------------------------------------------

I don't know whether this is likely to be of any further help, but following is the summary of events and errors that I sent to the dealer when I had what eventually turned out to be a data cable failure a couple of years earlier. I include it here for reference and in case any of this sounds familiar, as it also threw up the 03800500-2F43 error:

1) Original fault:
Prints displaying cyan bias. Entire section of Photo Magenta nozzles found to be missing on nozzle check, viz. the entire upper half (exactly 50%) of the topmost PM nozzle check block.
Ran 'Head Clean A'
Machine went through either 3 or 4 complete clean and nozzle check cycles, then halted with hardware error code 03800500-2F43
Printer was powered off and restarted as prompted.
Printer message 'Execute printhead cleaning or replace printhead if this message continues'
Printer effectively 'locked', so unable to print further nozzle check or do anything else without repeating the head clean process or replacing the head.

2) Replaced head as instructed. Printer went through the normal fill process and nozzle check, then halted with further hardware error code 03800500-2F43 and instruction to power off and restart.
Printer powered off and restarted.
Printer automatically repeated nozzle check, which appeared to terminate normally this time.

3) Loaded roll of Canon Heavyweight Coated paper, ran Standard Head adjustment.
Printer printed single set of adjustment bars, then terminated with the error message "Cannot adjust printhead"
Log showed error code 03863000-2820

4) Repeated Head Adjustment, this time in 'Advanced' mode
Printer printed single set of adjustment bars identical to 3) above, then terminated with the error message "Cannot adjust printhead"
Log showed error code 03863000-2820

5) Loaded sheet of Canon Heavyweight Coated paper, ran Standard Head adjustment.
Printer printed and measured adjustment bars, then requested additional paper.
Second sheet printed and measured, this time the process appeared to terminate normally although with no indication of a successful adjustment or otherwise.

The full error code sequence from this mornings process is as follows (earliest first):
03800500-2F43
03010000-200D
03863000-2820
03863000-2820

The service tech subsequently replaced both the main board and the carriage board, and both heads, but was still getting all sorts of apparently unrelated errors, including the 'head overheating' code, until as a last resort he replaced the data cable, whereupon everything returned to normal.

I can't add much more to that I'm afraid, but hopefully there might be something there that may point you in the right direction.

Malcolm

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2016, 05:30:51 pm »

Thanks again, that's good info to have.

I have some time before I need to decide, but I may be heading towards a new printer.  With no service contract and out of warranty I'm looking at a $1400 bill for service + parts which will likely include both heads, $700 I think, and other parts as needed.  As an alternative I could take that money, sell the ink I have left (a full set of 300ml) and pretty much get one of the new Epson P8000 with the new inkset ($3425 at the moment).  Looking at some older prints I see that I was also getting a stripe in random places (very faint).  I had thought it was a roller issue and was going to replace the paper, thinking perhaps I had a roll of paper which wasn't flattening enough (probably would have had head strikes though).  The printer never gave me an error though until this week.  It's frustrating that you can only get the print heads to do your own maintenance.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2016, 02:52:49 pm »

I called Canon today and I think I'm closer to getting a new printer.

The tech had me update to the latest firmware to see if would come up with a more intelligent error code.  He was hoping that it would specifically point to one head or the other.  My FW was 1.25 and the current version is 1.26, so not too far out of date, and it came up with the same error in any case.  In the service mode I was still able to print out a nozzle test, and the same bottom right gray rectangle(s) had the issue (right nozzle) although this time 1/2 of the top rectangle was missing instead of every other column of both.  It won't print the nozzle pattern outside of the service mode.

Without a more specific error code he thought that I'd likely need to replace both heads.  If that didn't fix it the service call is now $1500 so I think I'm heading towards the purchase of the P8000 Epson.  Not exactly the way I'd hoped to upgrade to the latest gen inks/printer but got to look on the plus side I suppose...

Kanvas Keepsakes

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2016, 03:19:43 am »

Mcbroomf, Lexjet has new ipf8400's for about $2,400 or so.  Just in case you need to upgrade.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2016, 06:09:30 am »

Thanks.  I ended up getting an Epson SureColour P8000 though.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2016, 07:20:58 am »

... and PS:  I still have the spare inks from the 8300 if anyone is interested....

keithcooper

• Northlight Images
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2016, 05:00:48 pm »

My own 8300 shows this effect partly on the LM channel - not enough to cause problems very often.

After talking to several people in the UK about this, I learned that flexible cable issues were common enough for there to be a recall of some early models -before sale- to fix it.  Seems that Canon are disinclined to do much about it for printers that are in use.

I'd like to swap my 8300 for a pro-4000, but printmaking just isn't a big enough part of my business to remotely justify the cost.
Pages: [1]   Go Up