Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SARDINIA  (Read 4809 times)

brianrybolt

SARDINIA
« on: March 29, 2016, 12:40:27 pm »

I'm travelling to Sardinia in 2½ weeks and will be there for 1 week.  I love landscape, interesting architecture, dereliction, and sub cultures to photograph.  Any suggestions will be appreciated.  Will paying by credit cards be a problem.

Gracie mille,

Brian

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
Re: SARDINIA
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 10:29:40 am »

I've only flown over and it seemed intriguing. I'd say let serendipity take the lead and be pleasantly surprised. However, do a little research on Lonely Planet and Trip Advisor to find out the local customs first.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

francois

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 04:20:29 am »

I've been in Sardinia only once… Credit cards won't be an issue at all. Ask the locals for suggestions. Some areas are really interesting but I also found that some old buildings/constructions like nuraghes were not getting all the care they needed.
Anyway, the island is large and you'll find plenty of photographic opportunities (once you get away from the beaches)…
Good luck!
Francois

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 06:43:57 am »

Costa Smeralda, up in the north-east. Originally developed by the Aga Khan, it was eventually bought out by Colony Capital. It's been "immortalized' in the book Sirens of Costa Smeralda by Marco Glaviano, used as location by Patrick Lichfield and myself, amongst others. (Barry Lategan shot a Mintex calendar in another part of Sardinia with model Denise Denny with whom I worked in Florida. We shared a page together in the London agency Top Models's Directory 80-81...)

Fantastic hotels there (Cala di Volpe, Pitrizza), the main yacht port being Porto Cervo. You'll need your credit card - a big one.

Used to be a hotbed of kidnappers during the 50s/60s with the Getty grandson being one such victim (I think they took him in Rome?) and an ear was sent to encourage payment of the modest ransom. Those not ransomed were disposed of in pig farms where the animals conveniently eat the evidence. You'll have fun! This is history!

My first visit happened one September: never seen rain like it: made my Indian monsoon experiences look like a lawn sprinkler. On a photographic note: it proved to my satisfcation that using an A filter in the rain doesn't do much to create suntan looks on girls - at least, not in conjunction with Kodachrome.

Rob

ned

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 11:06:39 am »

I'm travelling to Sardinia in 2½ weeks and will be there for 1 week.  I love landscape, interesting architecture, dereliction, and sub cultures to photograph.  Any suggestions will be appreciated.  Will paying by credit cards be a problem.

Gracie mille,

Brian

Oh yes, I remember it well. It was 1978 and I was 17 on my first deployment to the USS Howard W. Gilmore. We were anchored to a rock on Santo Stefano Island, which is about a 30 minute boat ride to either Palau or La Maddalena. Our job was to service forward deployed fast attack submarines that were deployed in the Mediterranean.  We had a hardball baseball team and we traveled around playing some local teams. Then a girl came on the bus handed a note to our translator who then walked all the way to the back of the bus where I was sitting. Everyone including myself was wondering why this beautiful local girl was handing me a note.  When I opened it, it simply said "May I tell you that I love you" ... Her name was Marina, and  I spent the next 18 months taking the train from Palau to Calgary. Yes, I remember Sardinia. 

I remember it being a rugged rocky country with a local climate similar to where I live in California. I also remember our ship had what was called "big eyes" which were giant binoculars mounted on a huge rotating mount. Perfect for checking out all of the topless girls who were laying out on the bow of their boat slowing moving 500 yards out. I was 17.

brianrybolt

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2016, 11:20:20 am »

Oh yes, I remember it well. It was 1978 and I was 17 on my first deployment to the USS Howard W. Gilmore. We were anchored to a rock on Santo Stefano Island, which is about a 30 minute boat ride to either Palau or La Maddalena. Our job was to service forward deployed fast attack submarines that were deployed in the Mediterranean.  We had a hardball baseball team and we traveled around playing some local teams. Then a girl came on the bus handed a note to our translator who then walked all the way to the back of the bus where I was sitting. Everyone including myself was wondering why this beautiful local girl was handing me a note.  When I opened it, it simply said "May I tell you that I love you" ... Her name was Marina, and  I spent the next 18 months taking the train from Palau to Calgary. Yes, I remember Sardinia. 

I remember it being a rugged rocky country with a local climate similar to where I live in California. I also remember our ship had what was called "big eyes" which were giant binoculars mounted on a huge rotating mount. Perfect for checking out all of the topless girls who were laying out on the bow of their boat slowing moving 500 yards out. I was 17.

Thanks Ned.  Maybe I'll be lucky enough to find Marina - I'll tell her you have been thinking of her.

muntanela

• BRATA
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2016, 12:18:39 pm »

Rob and Ned, delightful posts!

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2016, 12:39:18 pm »

Ooh, sounds like a fun trip. No advice but maybe a little envy. And I love sardines too. :)

Ned, that is a great story. I had a girl in Honduras recently yell to me that she loved me but I just smiled and waved since I'm a married 44 y/o and she was in middle school where I was doing a photo assignment. :o Nice to hear even if I can't (and wouldn't) pursue it anyway.
-MattB

Rob C

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2016, 02:27:44 pm »

ned,

You were lucky: 18 months is as long as some marriages last! Sadly, none of us remains seventeen for more than a year - however hard we try. That was my age when I met my wife. That relationship lasted for ever. I look forward to cont¡nuing it on the next go round.

The US used to send an aircraft carrier to sit in the Bay of Palma, here in Mallorca. Then, some people began a movement to banish it elsewhere due to atomic power... That represented a huge financal loss to Mallorca and much of the collective Red Lights staff of the Spainsh mainland. You never saw so many hookers in town as when that boat came in! I guess its departure closed a lot of older hotels, too...

Prestwick in Scotland used to play house to the USAAF for many a year, and then the same story; political unrest, coupled with local resentment (echoes of WW2, when the "en route to their doom" American guys in England were cursed by the few local men left around for being over-sexed, over-paid and over here) and the hope of getting more money from the military led to a face-off where the Americans finally said screw you: we're off. It, too, ruined many a bar, emptied hotels and broke many hearts. That px store sure sold a lot more Zippos than there were US smokers on the base! A Scottish friend ended up driving an Chrysler fin-tail for many years...

Like with so much, folks don't always get when they are already well off.

But back to Sardinia: as I heard it, the sealine was always considered useless because you couldn't farm it: the girl children usually inherited it whereas the boys got the "'really useful" stuff where you could raise animals and food. Poetic justice: many girls became rather rich when tourism arrived, needing that worthless land for hotels, beaches and resorts in general. I like when that happens. In general, I think women are worth a damned sight more than men. Who was it said "Women are everything; men just muscle.." it might have been Bert Stern - my memory fails at times (I notice this, too.)?

Rob C

KMRennie

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2016, 09:58:38 am »

I cycled around the North Coast of Sardinia eight years ago from Alghero to Santa Teresa and thoroughly enjoyed it. The locals were friendly and helpful. This area has some tourist development but it was very easy to get away from it and find pristine and deserted beaches although eight years can change many things. Automatic cash dispensers were in most towns and credit cards were accepted.  The only downside was when the Scirocco started blowing from the Sahara made cycling after noon dangerously hot. This area was quite cheap, cheaper than Great Britain and much cheaper than neighbouring Corsica and I suspect the Costa Smerelda.  I attach a shot taken looking towards Castelsardo to whet your appetite, the beach had 3 people on it. Good luck and enjoy your visit.
Ken

brianrybolt

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2016, 10:31:49 am »

Thank you Ken,
Great shot and I look forward to my trip.  I keep hearing how beautiful the coast is.

Cheers,
Brian

stingray

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2016, 11:27:24 am »

Where are you flying into. If Alghero then the North and North East coast are worth exploring.

Had some very enjoyable meals in Alghero.  Castelsardo, along the north coast has an interesting castle.  On the North East Corner of Sardinia (Santa Teresa Gallura) you can get a short  ferry hop to the fantastic town of Bonifacio so you can experience both French and Italian cuisine on the same day.  Worth a day trip , with or without the car.  Great memories of Club Med and sailing holidays in La Maddalana area.

If you ever get the chance explore Corsica. Fantastic combination of mountains and seascapes, old towns, history, famous for its walking tours, a train journey that should be on every bucket list, etc..

Rob C

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2016, 05:03:22 pm »

So, has Sardina lived up to expectations; has it vanished without trace; what gives?

Rob C

brianrybolt

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2016, 07:47:17 am »

So, has Sardina lived up to expectations; has it vanished without trace; what gives?

Rob C

Yes, it did live up to expectations and a bit more.  I wasn't able to shoot as much as I would have liked because of the circumstances in which I was travelling but I did enjoy the island.  The landscape changes while driving from south to north and back again.  Driving through beautiful rocky areas and then right into agricultural stretches then the beautiful sea vistas.  Interesting rock outcrops that seem to come out of nowhere.  Eight century BC archaeological sites pop up in the landscape.  Lovely people and great fish dinners. I might go back again but travelling differently.
Brian

A few photos attached.

Rob C

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2016, 10:48:19 am »

Glad to hear it, Brian!

For my money, there's so much available up in the Costa Smeralda that I wouldn't go anywhere else on a short trip. However, time and means are always constrictions...

Access to a boat would help a lot.

If you can get into some website that lets you see Marco Glaviano's Sirens of Costasmeralda (sic) you'll see some amazing rock stuff.

Next time... ;-)

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2016, 09:16:00 am »

Thought it might be of interest to show a snap of the north-eastern edge of the island; great in September when, if I remember correctly, they hold the Sardinia Cup for yachts. However, in contrast to that, all I do remember about one September there is amazing storms with lightning straight into the sea.

The picture I include was made during a recce in April, one year, for a later summer commission. Kodachrome 64 Pro.

Rob C
Pages: [1]   Go Up