Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17   Go Down

Author Topic: ipf5000  (Read 435598 times)

colorworks

ipf5000
« Reply #300 on: August 31, 2006, 09:00:15 pm »

Not sure if this these are the warning messages you were referring to, but on the printer, select Menu, System Setup, Warning, set Ignore Mismatch - ON.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=75083\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Excellent, thanks.

Troy

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
ipf5000
« Reply #301 on: August 31, 2006, 10:12:25 pm »

Hello

This conversation to me has gone full circle bringing up issues many ownners of Canon Ipf5000 brought up back in June 06 when these machines were delivered to us in U/K in States it was a month or so earlier.

martinmitch
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=75142\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Martin, yup - you're right - but let me suggest something - let's think about WHY for a moment. Here you have a top-flight technological corporation by World standards -one of the biggest/best players in fact - every time they release a major new product they hang their reputation and that division's bottom line on it. Nonetheless important stuff slips between the cracks (perhaps once again a lesson about more haste - less speed) and MONTHS go by with nary a word from them even recognizing there are problems, let alone fixing them. And potential customers like me are lined-up with cash in hand waiting to buy - but we want these very tractable, nuissance flaws simply fixed-up first. And the longer it goes on, the more sensible it is just to wait for the forthcoming options to also expand the range of choice. So that's how the circle gets rounded - one looks accross the diameter in time and asks in some wonderment "what's going on?" with all these supposedly savvy corporate folks.

Cheers
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

David White

• http://
ipf5000
« Reply #302 on: September 01, 2006, 01:57:22 am »

and MONTHS go by with nary a word from them even recognizing there are problems,
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=75165\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Mark,

I think you've hit the proverbial nail on the head here.  I've already got mine and love it, but am really frustrated by the lack of communications from Canon about all the problems that have been brought up and when updated software/firmware/drivers will be available.

When I was writing controller software for large video production switchers, I talked to the customers and listened to their problems and requests for features.  Bugs were immediately worked on and we let the customers know that fixes would be available and when they would be available.

This is a pro printer, not something you buy off the shelf at Staples or Best Buy.  I think we deserve more from Canon.

We need a Chuck Westfall for this line of printers.
David White

martinmitch

• http://www.crispynails.co.uk/
ipf5000
« Reply #303 on: September 01, 2006, 05:59:37 am »

Mark,

I think you've hit the proverbial nail on the head here.  I've already got mine and love it, but am really frustrated by the lack of communications from Canon about all the problems that have been brought up and when updated software/firmware/drivers will be available.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=75177\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hello  
Yes,I aso support both of you in this area of debate it appears there are numerous individuals purchasing Canon iPF5000 printers and 3 months have passed since thes printers were released in the UK and yet, Canon have not acknowledged problems with printer software or been in contacct with printer et,c to hear first hand the issues we have found.
Maybe there is a story concerning communicating with `canon about this printer' out there on the web?Please tell.
martinmitch
Crispy Nails Animation Studio.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
ipf5000
« Reply #304 on: September 01, 2006, 09:03:35 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=75177\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Indeed.

Perhaps to trigger that event someone needs to put all these discussions under Canon's nose to make sure they know the stakes are worth it.

tbonanno

• Tony Bonanno Photography, LLC
ipf5000
« Reply #305 on: September 01, 2006, 11:31:12 am »

Indeed.

Perhaps to trigger that event someone needs to put all these discussions under Canon's nose to make sure they know the stakes are worth it.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=75199\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Mark, you and David have been reading my mind :-).  Several times I've thought about contacting Chuck to see who his counterpart is on the Printer side of the house.  I did put together a document outlining some of my concerns and emphasizing the need for Canon to demonstrate their support to this product if they are serious about the pro and artist market.  I gave the document to one of their dealers who is an associate of mine who was planning to have a conference with someone in the iPF 5000 circle at Canon.  He wound up sending the doc to the guy and then we never heard another word.  Oh well...  I still remain cautiously optimistic.  I don't think I'll be buying a Canon 24" until we see how this all plays out the next several months..  who knows, maybe HP is in my future (which I never thought would be likely).
Tony Bonanno Photography
ASMP Profession

David White

ipf5000
« Reply #306 on: September 01, 2006, 11:34:09 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=75199\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I just sent an email to Chuck Westfall about this and the need for someone from Canon to step up and let us know that Canon is listening and doing something about the problems and concerns that have been raised.  Hopefully there will be some sort of response.
David White

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
ipf5000
« Reply #307 on: September 01, 2006, 11:38:51 am »

I just sent an email to Chuck Westfall about this and the need for someone from Canon to step up and let us know that Canon is listening and doing something about the problems and concerns that have been raised.  Hopefully there will be some sort of response.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=75220\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

David, this is great. Anything positive they do about it is good for everyone. Do please keep us posted.

martinmitch

• http://www.crispynails.co.uk/
ipf5000
« Reply #308 on: September 01, 2006, 12:03:27 pm »

I just sent an email to Chuck Westfall about this and the need for someone from Canon to step up and let us know that Canon is listening and doing something about the problems and concerns that have been raised.  Hopefully there will be some sort of response.

Hello,
Thanks and you have my support from otherside of Atlantic Ocean.

Would it be a good idear if we all started to list the issues we have with the Canon iPF5000 on this website in a simple and clear manner?
Leaving out opinions etc'.

martinmitch
Crispy Nails Animation Studio.

David White

ipf5000
« Reply #309 on: September 01, 2006, 01:18:17 pm »

Would it be a good idear if we all started to list the issues we have with the Canon iPF5000 on this website in a simple and clear manner?
Leaving out opinions etc'.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=75227\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I think the concept of collecting all the problems is a good one.  I'm not sure that a discussion forum is the best vehicle for accomplishing that.  Seems like we might end up with another 300+ message thread.

If we could collect the problems and issues in a format that would be suitable to sending to Canon that would be best.  Not sure at the moment how to best accomplish this in a collabrative manner.

Perhaps someone knows of a tool that would allow us to do this.  I wonder if someone like Michael has a contact in the Canon printer division that the results could be sent to.
David White

tbonanno

ipf5000
« Reply #310 on: September 01, 2006, 01:48:44 pm »

Good move David.. Maybe I'll clean up that document I put together and also send to Chuck.  Might be good if he hears from a few of us just to reinforce the issue.

Cheers,

Tony
Tony Bonanno Photography
ASMP Profession

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
ipf5000
« Reply #311 on: September 01, 2006, 02:54:47 pm »

I'd like to suggest that Tony, Martin or David take the lead in putting a document together - it need not be lengthy - a bullet style list with very brief description of the key issues. Put it up as a post in this discussion thread, give it several days for anyone interested to make comments, revise accordingly and then whoever has the best contacts there send it to Canon with a hyperlink to the discussion history. As I don't own one of these printers, regardless that I am quite familiar with some of the issues, I think it is preferable if IPF5000 owners were to take the initiative doing this. I intend to remain interested because the IPF5000 is still an eventual option for me.

tbonanno

ipf5000
« Reply #312 on: September 01, 2006, 03:07:46 pm »

I'd like to suggest that Tony, Martin or David take the lead in putting a document together - it need not be lengthy - a bullet style list with very brief description of the key issues. Put it up as a post in this discussion thread, give it several days for anyone interested to make comments, revise accordingly and then whoever has the best contacts there send it to Canon with a hyperlink to the discussion history. As I don't own one of these printers, regardless that I am quite familiar with some of the issues, I think it is preferable if IPF5000 owners were to take the initiative doing this. I intend to remain interested because the IPF5000 is still an eventual option for me.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=75246\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Mark,

Actually I just sent my notes to Chuck Westfall a few minutes ago.. These were notes that I put together for another ASMP member who happens to be a Canon dealer.  They certainly were not "all inclusive" as you are suggesting, but perhaps might be helpful in getting the "printer folks" to pay attention.  I will email a copy to you.

Tony
Tony Bonanno Photography
ASMP Profession

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
ipf5000
« Reply #313 on: September 01, 2006, 03:28:27 pm »

Thanks Tony, looking forward to seeing it. I have sent you my email address.

Cheers,

Mark

David White

ipf5000
« Reply #314 on: September 01, 2006, 06:19:22 pm »

Actually I just sent my notes to Chuck Westfall a few minutes ago.. These were notes that I put together for another ASMP member who happens to be a Canon dealer.  They certainly were not "all inclusive" as you are suggesting, but perhaps might be helpful in getting the "printer folks" to pay attention.  I will email a copy to you.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=75247\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Tony and I got responses from Chuck indicating that he would be sending our comments and observations on to the Professional Products Marketing Division for review.  Hopefully something will come of this.  Chuck indicated that most of them would be at Photoshop World so if anyone is going, perhaps one of them could be approached with our concerns.

Mark,

Tony's comments pretty well cover the gamut of the problems that we have been discussing.  We've spoken on the phone a couple times and seem to be of the same mind about the printer.  Tony has a little more experience with some features since I only use the cassette and roll holder for feeding and keep pretty much the same paper sizes.

After you've seen the comments from Tony (nice job Tony!) perhaps we can revisit the idea of gathering more observations and problems in a document to send to Canon.

As for me, my ProfileMaker 5 just arrived so I'll probably be somewhat distracted from this over the weekend.    

I think we are making some good progress here, so let's keep up the momentum.
David White

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
ipf5000
« Reply #315 on: September 01, 2006, 06:33:08 pm »

Tony and I got responses from Chuck indicating that he would be sending our comments and observations on to the Professional Products Marketing Division for review.  Hopefully something will come of this.  Chuck indicated that most of them would be at Photoshop World so if anyone is going, perhaps one of them could be approached with our concerns.

Mark,

Tony's comments pretty well cover the gamut of the problems that we have been discussing.  We've spoken on the phone a couple times and seem to be of the same mind about the printer.  Tony has a little more experience with some features since I only use the cassette and roll holder for feeding and keep pretty much the same paper sizes.

After you've seen the comments from Tony (nice job Tony!) perhaps we can revisit the idea of gathering more observations and problems in a document to send to Canon.

As for me, my ProfileMaker 5 just arrived so I'll probably be somewhat distracted from this over the weekend.   

I think we are making some good progress here, so let's keep up the momentum.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=75266\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

David, I read Tony's note to Chuck Westfall and based on all I've personally seen and/or heard about this printer I think it is very good. The one missing item is about the very poor quality of the documentation; I recommended to Tony that he send Chuck a follow-up email covering that rather important matter.

Chuck Westfall's response is encouraging. "The camel's nose is in the tent." But given the hoops within large outfits like Canon to actually get results, I think it will be useful to follow this up in the manner you suggest above.

Enjoy your ProfileMaker 5 - and please do tell us what it is doing for you!

Cheers

Mark

marcmccalmont

ipf5000
« Reply #316 on: September 02, 2006, 10:46:53 pm »

I hade profiles made for my favorite papers from Cathys profiles http://www.cathysprofiles.com/ and had great luck. worth the $40. I did make a few mistakes along the way so if you are using the 16 bit driver,  print your targets through the 16 bit driver (I reread the LL review a couple of times to confirm what I was doing) take the time to make sure all the menus are set correctly and with no color management, many of the sub menus have memory and I made a few mistakes by not being thorough. It did take me a week to realize that the 16 bit driver was under the output not print menu so I had a profile created for the windows driver by mistake first. But this mistake confirmed what was stated in the review that a different profile is required for each driver. The 8 bit profile when used in the 16 bit driver is not as good as the 16 bit profile in the 16 bit driver as one would expect?
hope this helps
Marc
Marc McCalmont

marcmccalmont

ipf5000
« Reply #317 on: September 02, 2006, 10:55:15 pm »

Quote from: martinmitch,Aug 30 2006, 10:01 AM
Could some of you post some canned profiles for the iP5000?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=74949\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
[/quote]
I hade profiles made for my favorite papers from Cathys profiles [a href=\"http://www.cathysprofiles.com/]http://www.cathysprofiles.com/[/url] and had great luck. worth the $40. I did make a few mistakes along the way so if you are using the 16 bit driver,  print your targets through the 16 bit driver (I reread the LL review a couple of times to confirm what I was doing) take the time to make sure all the menus are set correctly and with no color management, many of the sub menus have memory and I made a few mistakes by not being thorough. It did take me a week to realize that the 16 bit driver was under the output not print menu so I had a profile created for the windows driver by mistake first. But this mistake confirmed what was stated in the review that a different profile is required for each driver. The 8 bit profile when used in the 16 bit driver is not as good as the 16 bit profile in the 16 bit driver as one would expect?
hope this helps
Marc
Marc McCalmont

Simon King

ipf5000
« Reply #318 on: December 01, 2006, 07:19:07 pm »

You've missed the point of this discussion - no-one is slamming anything as crap, and as far as I've read, none of the observations about the teething problems of the Canon printer were made in spite by owners of Epson 4800s. Most of the identification of problems came from new owners of the Canon IPF5000. One of the real values of a discussion forum such as this one is that it informs the manufacturers they have issues which they really need to address, and it provides useful information to prospective buyers. I think we all know nothing is perfect, but different issues mean different things to different people, so we may as well all know what they are and make our own decisions accordingly.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=71225\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Agree:These points are most important for someone like me who has just joined to gen up of the pros and cons of the canon v Epson printer, I have not bought one yet but want to soon to prin t up my photographs

I need to hear these user experiences to make an informed decidion, I don't think the printer is being derided, just intelligently criticised
« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 07:19:34 pm by Simon King »

Dale Allyn

• http://www.daleallynphoto.com
ipf5000
« Reply #319 on: December 01, 2006, 07:57:04 pm »

Agree:These points are most important for someone like me who has just joined to gen up of the pros and cons of the canon v Epson printer, I have not bought one yet but want to soon to prin t up my photographs

I need to hear these user experiences to make an informed decidion, I don't think the printer is being derided, just intelligently criticised
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Simon,

I'm loving my iPF5000 so far. There are issues with all of these printers and software packages. One just needs to decide which best suits his/her needs in printing.

This Wiki may help you with your process if you've not seen it: [a href=\"http://canonipf5000.wikispaces.com/]http://canonipf5000.wikispaces.com/[/url]

--
Dale
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17   Go Up