Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17]   Go Down

Author Topic: ipf5000  (Read 435562 times)

JPrimgaard

ipf5000
« Reply #320 on: December 01, 2006, 08:33:35 pm »

A thought than came to mind reading the desire of users here to educate Canon about their concerns regarding the ipf5000.   I wonder what the ratio is of users who share this desire are versus the total number of ipf5000 printers sold by Canon.

In other words, it's a handful of folks posting here about the printer, is it only a handful of ipf5000's that have been sold by Canon?  Likely not the case.  But as the manufacturer, they have got to be looking at the percentages when deciding what issues to prioritize.  It's just a thougt process I've gone through reading these posts, since I am very interested in this printer myself.

I personally am waiting to see what the ImagePrint RIP for the 5000 performs like, since it should make most of these issues moot.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 08:34:51 pm by JPrimgaard »

Simon King

ipf5000
« Reply #321 on: December 02, 2006, 09:13:16 am »

The new HPs have come out now so I'm even more inundated with choice!

However having read ALL the posts on this threadthe single thing that imresses me most is the MR review where he refers to the true blues

AS mainly landscape photog the Sky is obviously going to need accurate reproduction.

After reading all the posts on profilng I now realise it may not be that simple, in fact unlikely to be  - at the moment I have the luxury of waiting to see whter the canon sorts out the problems mentioned here enough of my use or whether the HP or Epsons usurp them  i.e. pip them at te post
I may wait til feb when a) will have more money so it won't be a pinch to buy as it is now  and  there's a trade show in Feb as I recall to .. thansk for all the info and keep it coming I really appreciate all your expert (compared to me) opinions and experiences

Charles Gast

ipf5000
« Reply #322 on: December 28, 2006, 09:06:48 pm »

So if you guys want to consider 16-bit files fine but don't worry about profiles. Get good ones and don't concern yourself with the node or "bit depth".
After you build the profile, you can use either an 8-bit or 16-bit file just like you can with ANY file you print out of Photoshop.

Here is a cut and paste from the initial 5000 review at LL;

"I discovered early on that one actually needs to have different profiles for the regular OS level driver and the special 16 bit driver."

This led me (and others I suppose) to believe the difference Michael was referring to was a bit depth selection at the time of creating the profile.  If there is no bit depth to a profile what is the difference he is referring to?

thanks,
Charlie

Charles Gast

ipf5000
« Reply #323 on: December 28, 2006, 09:14:14 pm »

Here is a cut and paste from the initial 5000 review at LL;

"I discovered early on that one actually needs to have different profiles for the regular OS level driver and the special 16 bit driver."

This led me (and others I suppose) to believe the difference Michael was referring to was a bit depth selection at the time of creating the profile.  If there is no bit depth to a profile what is the difference he is referring to?

thanks,
Charlie
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=92709\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Here I go talking to myself
The target to be profiled is printed in 16 bit mode.
I think that is the difference...

David White

• http://
ipf5000
« Reply #324 on: December 28, 2006, 09:16:30 pm »

This led me (and others I suppose) to believe the difference Michael was referring to was a bit depth selection at the time of creating the profile.  If there is no bit depth to a profile what is the difference he is referring to?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=92709\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
You get a different/larger gamut when printing with the 16-bit driver vs the 8-bit driver, hence the use of different profiles for each driver.  If you only print with one driver, you only need one profile made with that driver for each paper.
David White

Andrés Vattuone

ipf5000
« Reply #325 on: May 21, 2007, 02:26:20 am »

Profile it as an RGB device. The driver will do the conversion from RGB to the 12 color Seps. Quickdraw and GDI drivers only understand RGB anyway.

I'm not sure where all this 16-bit profile stuff is coming from but I suspect Canon has some documentation somewhere that is causing confusion. Profiles unlike images don't have a bit depth. Some products allow you to control the number of nodes used to build the profile but this isn't a "8-bit versus 16-bit" issue whatsoever. In fact, it is sometimes the case that a smaller node used to build the profile will produce a better result. So if you guys want to consider 16-bit files fine but don't worry about profiles. Get good ones and don't concern yourself with the node or "bit depth".

After you build the profile, you can use either an 8-bit or 16-bit file just like you can with ANY file you print out of Photoshop.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=69424\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Is it possible to make a n-channel profile for a Epson 3800 or Canon ipf5000? Could it effectively be used overstepping GDI drivers (using software with postscript/rip (?)) ? What it be compatible with Photoshop?
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17]   Go Up