Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: ipf5000  (Read 435555 times)

holmherzer

ipf5000
« on: May 15, 2006, 02:17:13 pm »

Has anyone found any new information or reviews on the ipf5000. I have looked everywhere I know to look and haven't seen anything with any detail. I am patiently waiting to buy a new printer and would love to find out how the Canon is measuring up.

David

michael

ipf5000
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 02:37:57 pm »

The printers are becoming available now. There are no reviews yet that I'm aware of.

I expect to have one for testing within days. I'll post initial impressions as soon as possible.

Michael

holmherzer

ipf5000
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 06:39:19 pm »

Thank you, I look forward to reading what you have to say.

David

danamr

ipf5000
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2006, 06:08:06 pm »

Has anyone found any new information or reviews on the ipf5000. I have looked everywhere I know to look and haven't seen anything with any detail. I am patiently waiting to buy a new printer and would love to find out how the Canon is measuring up.

David
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=65557\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I have been testing for a bit more than a week, and so far the results are outstanding. I had not had much time to do comparison prints to the Epson, but at the very least the image quality is just as good as the 4800.  Add in things like user changable print heads, a (at least 2x print speed), the ability to leave the roll holder loaded and still use the cassette feeder, auto head checking, etc, etc.
I think Epson should be very worried. It is very impressive.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
ipf5000
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2006, 06:53:00 pm »

Danamr, have you tried switching media yet - between matte and non-matte? How does it handle that change? Have you had a chance yet to see how it performs in respect of bronzing, gloss differential? Are you using only Canon papers with it, or have you had a chance to test other papers?
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Brian Gilkes

• http://www.briangilkes.com.au
ipf5000
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2006, 06:57:14 pm »

Canon has apparently calibrated this printer with a custom built target of 69,000 patches. I would have imagined there would be limited gain after 3000 patches or so, but we will see.
The increase of gamut with the extra 3 colours over the Epson has not been reported to be very significant, but I await exact 3D plots.  Linearity will be very important for high end users.
So will handling and performance with non-Canon media . I would like to see someone coming up with a pre head vacuuming of paper to reduce clogging from loose bits of cotton (or wood !) that both come with rolls and packed sheets and is produced within printers by the cutter. Nash Editions did this with the old Iris' years ago. There are a lot of nozzles in this new monster.
Epson , I note, is spending a lot on advertising, so things are hotting up at long last.
Bring on the lions!
Cheers,
Brian
www.pharoseditions.com.au

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
ipf5000
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2006, 07:08:51 pm »

Just based on the tidbits I hear, I have a sense that Epson will need to spend on alot more than just advertising. The clogging issue could also be a very distinguishing parameter between these machines, but it takes months of operational experience to get a reliable handle on that variable - be it absolute or comparative.

Marty C

• http://www.shorephoto.com
ipf5000
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2006, 08:27:52 pm »

I just recieved one on Friday and I had a little trouble with the print setup. That window is a lot more complicated then the Epson driver. There was some matermerism using High gloss Photo paper, but that may be my inexperience.

One thing I found was the roll holder is a $249.00 option, with the Epson 4800 it is standard equipment The machine ships with the print heads in separate packages and you install them. The ink that ships with the machine is 90mm carts (starter carts)

Overall the machine is well engineered and prints quite fast. I will be testing it further in the next few days

danamr

ipf5000
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2006, 11:48:47 pm »

Danamr, have you tried switching media yet - between matte and non-matte? How does it handle that change? Have you had a chance yet to see how it performs in respect of bronzing, gloss differential? Are you using only Canon papers with it, or have you had a chance to test other papers?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=66152\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
So far I have been working with Ilford Smooth Pearl, and more than anything else running profile targets to see what settings get the best gamut with the printer.  My first trys show some extension over the Epson, but not huge.  One issue is that there are areas where settings are not really explained.  There is no explaination of what the special 1-5 settings do.  It's my understanding they are mainly increasing ink density, and I have printed a couple of profile target sets to see what the difference is between 1-5 but have not had a chance to build the profiles to see what they look like.
I am not seeing any bronzing on the smooth pearl, i will be testing glossy media next week.
I have not experemented with matte papers yet, and I have some Crane Silver Rag I want to try on it too.  I have gotten very little Canon stock in yet, and am still waiting for a roll feeder so I am a little limited in terms of testing so far.

danamr

ipf5000
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2006, 11:53:29 pm »

I just recieved one on Friday and I had a little trouble with the print setup. That window is a lot more complicated then the Epson driver. There was some matermerism using High gloss Photo paper, but that may be my inexperience.

One thing I found was the roll holder is a $249.00 option, with the Epson 4800 it is standard equipment The machine ships with the print heads in separate packages and you install them. The ink that ships with the machine is 90mm carts (starter carts)

Overall the machine is well engineered and prints quite fast. I will be testing it further in the next few days
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=66160\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I would say different rather than complicated in the print drivers.  Are you using the plug in?  I found that was a lot simpler work flow than the print driver.  The prints I have seen on gloss don't show any issues, but I have not tried my self.  What setting did you use? I suspect something like special 4 or 5 might get the best result.
I do agree that the printer seems well made.

David White

• http://
ipf5000
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2006, 02:13:37 am »

I'm curious about how much ink was left in the starter cartridges after the ink lines were filled.
David White

danamr

ipf5000
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2006, 02:52:38 am »

I'm curious about how much ink was left in the starter cartridges after the ink lines were filled.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=66174\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I am not close to running out, and have printed about 12 13x19 prints, plus a bunch of 3600 patch test targets.
Nice thing about the printer is the cartridges drain from the bottom, so there should be little waste.

Marty C

• http://www.shorephoto.com
ipf5000
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2006, 07:50:18 am »

I would say different rather than complicated in the print drivers.  Are you using the plug in?  I found that was a lot simpler work flow than the print driver.  The prints I have seen on gloss don't show any issues, but I have not tried my self.  What setting did you use? I suspect something like special 4 or 5 might get the best result.
I do agree that the printer seems well made.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=66170\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have not used the plug-in yet, but I will try it, if it makes things easier. IMHO the regular printer driver has to many screens that need to be changed. I am a total novice with this driver and it will take some time to get it right, especially in the area of paper selection. You get errors on the printer if the paper size is not the same on the printer and the driver

As for ink remaining after the initial fill there was about 75% left, The meter reads what is left in the carts, not whats in the lines, so I suspect there is really about 90%  left

danamr

ipf5000
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2006, 12:11:56 pm »

I have not used the plug-in yet, but I will try it, if it makes things easier. IMHO the regular printer driver has to many screens that need to be changed. I am a total novice with this driver and it will take some time to get it right, especially in the area of paper selection. You get errors on the printer if the paper size is not the same on the printer and the driver

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=66183\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
The software overrides the printer presets.  The warnings give you information that something has changed from what you set in the printer so you can do something about it if you choose to.  They can be turned off in the printer if you want.

nigeldh

• http://www.luminousnature.com
ipf5000
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2006, 03:08:00 am »

Check out Red River Paper, redriverpaper.com. They just did a quick review of the iPF5000 that they just got. Apperently the Canon software even reports how much ink was used for a particular print.

Now when will the iPF9000 be available/shipping?

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
ipf5000
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2006, 08:31:47 am »

I've read the Red River review, as well as the one on InkjetArt. Unfortunately, both of them are thoroughly unimpressive as review efforts and do not provide a reliable basis for making an informed decision about whether to purchase this machine.

Brian Gilkes

• http://www.briangilkes.com.au
ipf5000
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2006, 10:22:50 pm »

I've read the Red River review, as well as the one on InkjetArt. Unfortunately, both of them are thoroughly unimpressive as review efforts and do not provide a reliable basis for making an informed decision about whether to purchase this machine.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=67528\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Mark,
I agree. I have indicated in this thread and elsewhere that we need at least accurate evaluations of gamut, dynamic range, ink linearity, nozzle clogging and cleaning cycles, and  outgassing  rather than the "Gee Whizz" reports that have come in so far. Resistance to abrasion and water  should also be addressed. This sets a challenge for Michael , but I'm certain he is up to it. If Epson is indeed resting on it's rather imperfect laurels these reports are important to all of us.
Cheers,
Brian
www.pharoseditions.com.au

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
ipf5000
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2006, 10:41:20 pm »

Brian, yes indeed. But to get a good fix on clogging and cleaning cycles these machines need to be tested under various conditions of usage and environment over a longer period of time than may be desirable for publishing a review on the other factors you mention. Like you, I am keen to see Michael's review at least for factors relating to print quality and user-friendliness of the printer itself. He explained why it will take some time, so let us just wait and see. I would be very surprised if Epson is just sitting around waiting to see what happens to its market share, but of course I have no idea what they may be cooking-up - likewise regarding HP for that matter. Times are getting interesting in this market niche.

jamie_m_

• http://www.mymoodphotography.com
ipf5000
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2006, 07:29:50 am »

Has anyone in the UK receivied their printer?

I've had one on order for what seems like ages and every two weeks or so since the end of April I've been told it will be shipping "the end of next week"
MyMoodPhotography
[url=http://www.mymood

keithl

ipf5000
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2006, 08:55:57 am »

Has anyone in the UK receivied their printer?

I've had one on order for what seems like ages and every two weeks or so since the end of April I've been told it will be shipping "the end of next week"
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=68226\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Jamie. I was just wondering from wherabouts in the uk you ordered it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17   Go Up