Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Riebeek's River Road  (Read 1897 times)

William Walker

• William Walker Landscapes
Riebeek's River Road
« on: March 28, 2016, 09:16:36 am »

Hi

It has been a while...whenever I need good advice I come here!

I'd like to know what you think of this please.

Thanks

William
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
Re: Riebeek's River Road
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 11:13:54 am »

Much to like, Wiliam. Great texture, lovely sweep of the horizon and composition. I like the colour palette, slightly muted but still rich.

I know the sky in top left is supposed to be bright as that's where the light originates, but I'm wondering if tioning down the sky just slightly might keep the focus of the photograph forwards rather than being pulled back by the brightness.

Also, I'm not sure the "stack" in the field helps as it interrupts the sweep from top left yo bottom right. Of course, it also causes me to wonder what it's all about, so it does serve a purpose. Hmmmmmm.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 12:17:54 pm »

Superb light, William. I usually agree with Terry, but this time I don't. I wouldn't touch that sky.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

francois

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 03:08:24 am »

Very nice landscape… I would leave the sky as it is!
Francois

William Walker

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 08:58:04 am »

Thanks guys! I just needed to see if I was headed in the right direction!

Much appreciated - as always!

William
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

BAB

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 10:03:34 am »

Eliminate half of the green foreground, ad brightness from the small hill on right to behind the tree to complete the Z. Then also work on the shadows and highlights of the rows above the tree in the field going up, add an additional highlight going up the top of the hill to make another diagonal. Darken down the sky with gradient from the top 1/3.
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2016, 10:10:41 am »

Surprised BAB didn't suggest a crop. We all know a picture is never complete without a crop as well as the kind of Photoshop work he suggested. ROTFL!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 02:04:07 pm by RSL »
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

BAB

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2016, 09:44:41 pm »

The rest of the pixels in the enclosed frame are perfect except for the cropping ot the green on the bottom as I already suggested...
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic

William Walker

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2016, 04:20:26 am »

Eliminate half of the green foreground, ad brightness from the small hill on right to behind the tree to complete the Z. Then also work on the shadows and highlights of the rows above the tree in the field going up, add an additional highlight going up the top of the hill to make another diagonal. Darken down the sky with gradient from the top 1/3.

Hi Bab - thanks for the comments! I appreciate them! I see what you are saying about the contrast on the hill although I'm quite happy with the green foreground.

With respect: I have been posting to this forum for a number of years and have worked out whose comments to take seriously and whose to take with a pinch of salt.

What helps me reach these conclusions about the advice I receive is helped considerably by being able to see their work...

I notice that you have not posted any of your work nor do you have link to your website - I would very much like to see your work as I am sure I could learn even more from that.

Kind regards
William

brianrybolt

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2016, 05:00:08 am »

I'de selectively open up the shadow area of the tree.  For me it doesn't work as a shape - I need to see some texture .

Brian

Tony Jay

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2016, 06:10:18 am »

Hi William - long time, no hear!

I have to admit to some doubts when I first looked at your image - it really is such an unusual composition combined with that low angular side-lighting.
However, after some time studying it more detail I found myself really getting into the image - at least metaphorically!

It really is a very fine capture with that low angular side-light the absolute capstone.
I wondered for a while about the merits of opening up the shadows a bit on the tree with the goal of improving the detail there - as suggested by Brian but on reflection, given the lighting conditions, I think it really works as is.

I must compliment you on your composition William, I reckon a foot to so to either side would probably have resulted in a bit of a ho-hum result but as it is it really is an image in which to immerse oneself.

Tony Jay

Pages: [1]   Go Up