Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tips for trip to Gros Morne  (Read 1270 times)

Kenneth Sky

• http://
Tips for trip to Gros Morne
« on: March 28, 2016, 08:47:04 am »

I'm planning a trip to Gros Morne NP from Toronto this summer. Which is better weather- July or August? I expect to use the scheduled flight to Deer Lake. Any recommendations on accommodation, locomotion and sites to visit would be appreciated, including guides. BTW, at my age I won't be camping out but I'm physically fit for hiking. Thanks in advance.

Lloyd Mayeda

Re: Tips for trip to Gros Morne
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 09:37:26 am »

We enjoyed a week in Gros Morne National Park at the end of July (18-26) in 2003. The weather was usually misty in the am but usually sunny later during the day. I seem to recall that it only rained (more than lightly) one day but we donned our rain gear and went for a hike anyway. Our trip was arranged and expertly  led by Kieth & Pauline Horton (Natural Outings, Mansfield ON). We stayed at Gregory B&B in Deer Lake but Mrs. Gregory was selling her home. A B&B that has recently received good reviews is the Lakeview B&B: https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowUserReviews-g499189-d737420-r118061615-Lakeview_Bed_and_Breakfast-Deer_Lake_Newfoundland_Newfoundland_and_Labrador.html

David S

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 11:57:05 am »

Was to Gros Morne in August of 2010 and had a great time. We arrived after a hurricane and, fortunately, left before the second one hit. So it might be better in July but that will vary year to year.

A second point is the Canada parks trail signs. There was one that said "family trail" and was an awful 400 m climb in under 1.2 km. My wife and I made it but this wasn't a trail for families with kids.

Dave

B-Ark

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 05:51:02 am »

My July trip had mixed weather - some sunny days, some very rainy days. Mosquitoes were really bad on all days.
Pages: [1]   Go Up