Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for ultra-wide filter system  (Read 2155 times)

bernie west

• Wild Photo Australia
Looking for ultra-wide filter system
« on: March 28, 2016, 04:03:36 am »

I've got the Nikkor 14-24mm f2.8, but have zero money to afford a filter system for it.  I've found that I mainly use the 14-24 at either end of the zoom range, and I have 24mm covered otherwise.  So I'm thinking of selling it and getting the Samyang 14mm and a filter system.  I know next to nothing about square filter systems, other than Lee is a common and good brand.  What other options do I have?  I've read a thread here about the NiSi 150 system, and it seems pretty good and is cheaper than Lee.  But even with that system I'm looking at about $500 to get a filter holder and a polariser.  Can't say I'm that enthused spending that much money.  Are there cheaper options around that still offer reasonable quality (good quality filter is more important to me than a good quality holder)?

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: Looking for ultra-wide filter system
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 10:46:07 am »

Sadly no. 

A few thoughts. 

Lee SW-150, excellent setup and well thought out.  The actual system is now around $250.00 last time I checked, but that has no filters.  Lee only makes their ND 150 x 150 in resin.  Stay away from these, as they cost a lot and will scratch very quickly.  Also they will warp if left in a pack in a hot car (I know all about this).  So you need to look at either Nisi 150 x 150 filters which are glass and excellent and cost a bit less.  You can also look at the Hitech firecrest 150 x 150 size but these are even more expensive.  However they are excellent.  The Lee holder is plastic with a metal ring that stays on the 14-24 all the time (at least it does on mine).  You can still use the Nikon Lens cap as Lee gives you a neoprene cover to hold it on. Lee's latest SW-150 has a totally new light shield that provides 100% protection from back light reflections.  This is very important, I can't tell you how many shots I have ruined forgetting to check or not using the older Lee shields which did not do as good a job.  The Lee holds either 2mm or 4mm, (4mm takes a mod).  You can also find excellent CL-PL 150 x 150 from both Lee, and Nisi in 2mm glass.

Nisi:

I believe they make a holder now for the 14-24.  I have their holder for the Phase One 28mm, so I will assume they are similar.  The Nisi is all metal, and heavy.  It hold 3 filters, all 2mm thickness.  The Nisi has a screw tension mount and is not intended to stay on all the time.  Well made, but it's going to add quite a bit of weight to the front of the 14-24 which is already front heavy.  Nisi also has a good light shield design.  You can use the same 2mm glass filters on it as the Lee.

You now can also use the Wonderpana system:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=Wonderpana+For+Nikon+14-24&InitialSearch=yes&N=0&gclid=CPf9uoLP48sCFQiUaQodmIMEdA

I have used a similar system by them on the Rokinon 14mm and they make good glass filters.    Theirs stay round so the design of the holder acts as a light shield.  Still expensive but you get a lot more for the price. 

Here is a video I made on the Lee/Nisi setup. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yfFfNhsr5c

Paul C

Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

bernie west

• Wild Photo Australia
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2016, 08:25:44 pm »

Cheers for that info.  Just to clarify, I'm selling the Nikkor and want to get a filter system for the Samyang.  NiSi makes a filter holder to fit the Samyang, so that might have to be the way I go.  Seems a bit crazy spending as much on a filter and its holder as the lens itself.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 08:38:34 pm by bernie west »

bernie west

• Wild Photo Australia
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2016, 08:37:38 pm »

This is going to sound dodgy as hell, but has anyone ever considered making their own filter holder?  I like to DIY stuff if it's at all possible.  I'll have to wait till I actually have the Samyang in my hands, but I'm thinking perhaps some pvc piping might be able to do the job somehow...

Colorado David

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2016, 10:32:30 pm »

I love to make things. I have built three different jibs from aluminum square tubing and bronze bushings. And have used them successfully on many video shoots. I have the tools and skills to make a lot of things, but I bought the Lee filter holder. Sometimes you just have to accept that someone else should be making some part or element of your kit.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 08:54:50 am »

Sorry I should have been more careful reading the first post ie the sale of your 14-24.

I thought Lee now makes an adapter for the Samyang. But I might be wrong on that.

The wonderpana setup is the cheapest for the Samyang and does a good job.

Paul C

Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Conner999

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 10:46:58 am »

I acquired a Lee SW150 Mark 1 with the optional Nikon 14-24 mount then added the rubber light shade (making the unit a MKII version) for a different UW lens I was thinking of getting, but changed my mind. That unit is for sale (see listing here or PM me).

The unit is very well built and one thing that swung me in favour of the Lee system is how it mounts to the lens. It's not a press fit and will not come off unless removed. the other was that filters which I have experience with in the 100mm format,  can be acquired from normal retailers like B&H, etc.

None of the options are cheap and some have a better mount vs filters and vice versa.

billsgong

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2016, 03:46:14 pm »

Lee SW-150, excellent setup and well thought out.  The actual system is now around $250.00 last time I checked, but that has no filters.  Lee only makes their ND 150 x 150 in resin.  Stay away from these, as they cost a lot and will scratch very quickly.  Also they will warp if left in a pack in a hot car (I know all about this).  So you need to look at either Nisi 150 x 150 filters which are glass and excellent and cost a bit less.  You can also look at the Hitech firecrest 150 x 150 size but these are even more expensive.  However they are excellent.  The Lee holder is plastic with a metal ring that stays on the 14-24 all the time (at least it does on mine).  You can still use the Nikon Lens cap as Lee gives you a neoprene cover to hold it on. Lee's latest SW-150 has a totally new light shield that provides 100% protection from back light reflections.  This is very important, I can't tell you how many shots I have ruined forgetting to check or not using the older Lee shields which did not do as good a job.  The Lee holds either 2mm or 4mm, (4mm takes a mod).  You can also find excellent CL-PL 150 x 150 from both Lee, and Nisi in 2mm glass.

Thank you for your comments on this matter. This helped me a ton and made a moderate sized dent in my wallet. But I'm happy about it.
Cheers.

Bill
Pages: [1]   Go Up