Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question about Speed  (Read 5761 times)

thomas_moran

Question about Speed
« on: May 15, 2006, 11:12:30 am »

I've been using Lightroom since it's been available but I've never been happy with the speed. I'm running a 2 Ghz duel G5 with 2 gigs of RAM. Sometimes I'm waiting as long as 20-30 seconds from the time I move a slider until I see a result on screen. The spinning beach ball of death is burned into my eyes! It really hit me how slow lightroom was running on my computer when I attend Michael's Lightroom seminar a couple of months ago. I believe he was running a 17 inch Powerbook with beta 2 of lightroom, not sure on the specs but I know it can't be as fast as a G5 tower. When he was showing the development tab things seemed very responsive to his inputs. This makes me think that there is something slowing my machine up that I'm not aware of. For what its worth when I'm running Lightroom I only have it and photoshop open so I think there's enough memory. Does anyone have any ideas? I love the work flow but the speed is killing me.

Thanks for your help.

Thomas

CharlieFox

Question about Speed
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2006, 01:45:33 pm »

I second that, I've been using LR for a while and have exactly the same problem. I thought it was because of my "old" PowerBook G4 1,3GHz with its 2Gb of RAM, but seeing that you have the same problem with that G5 configuration, makes me wonder if my loyal G4 is the problem at all...
What i have noticed, though, is that the problem worsens when both LR and PSCS2 are open at the same time, might be something to do with Ram management... I don't know, I'm not a computer wizz kid, but as you I love the workflow of LR but its slow speed kills me...

Hope someone can answer this....

CharlieFox

I've been using Lightroom since it's been available but I've never been happy with the speed. I'm running a 2 Ghz duel G5 with 2 gigs of RAM. Sometimes I'm waiting as long as 20-30 seconds from the time I move a slider until I see a result on screen. The spinning beach ball of death is burned into my eyes! It really hit me how slow lightroom was running on my computer when I attend Michael's Lightroom seminar a couple of months ago. I believe he was running a 17 inch Powerbook with beta 2 of lightroom, not sure on the specs but I know it can't be as fast as a G5 tower. When he was showing the development tab things seemed very responsive to his inputs. This makes me think that there is something slowing my machine up that I'm not aware of. For what its worth when I'm running Lightroom I only have it and photoshop open so I think there's enough memory. Does anyone have any ideas? I love the work flow but the speed is killing me.

Thanks for your help.

Thomas
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=65540\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

michael

Question about Speed
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2006, 02:44:07 pm »

The code in Lightroom has not yet been optimized for speed. The team is busy adding features and fixing bugs. Speed optimization comes toward the end of the development cycle.

Having said that, I recenty got a 17" Macbook Pro Dual Core with 2GB of RAM, and the speed improvement of the UB code is dramatic!

Michael

gmitchel

• http://www.thelightsrightstudio.com
Question about Speed
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2006, 05:23:58 pm »

The code in Lightroom has not yet been optimized for speed. The team is busy adding features and fixing bugs. Speed optimization comes toward the end of the development cycle.

Having said that, I recenty got a 17" Macbook Pro Dual Core with 2GB of RAM, and the speed improvement of the UB code is dramatic!

Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=66795\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Not only is code unoptimized during development cycle, the code will also likely contain lots of temporary debugging code that can adversely affect performance. That debugging code will likely remain until the development team is satisfied that the code works as expected.

Cheers,

Mitch

thomas_moran

Question about Speed
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2006, 01:16:25 pm »

That all sounds pretty reasonable. I remember Michael saying that we are getting to see how sausages are being made and it ain't pretty... Michael do you know if adobe are still on track with there schedule of beta releases? Thanks for the answer guys.

CharlieFox

Question about Speed
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2006, 02:25:20 pm »

Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=66795\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the note, I went to have a look at the new Macbook Pro Dual Core series, but as usual in this part of the world still have to wait a couple of days to see it. Sounds like a pretty good upgrade regardless of the final speed of LR. I'll have to put up with it until then. Thanks anyway for the quick reply.

CharlieFox

macgyver

Question about Speed
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2006, 06:06:31 pm »

That makes sense, but then why would it still be faster on some than others?  (excuse me if this is a poor question?)
Pages: [1]   Go Up