Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Desert Oasis  (Read 1027 times)

fredweymouth

• Lens & Landscape Photography Podcast
Desert Oasis
« on: March 27, 2016, 09:24:05 am »

An example of the desert waterfalls that run during the wet monsoon months here in southern Arizona. This is from a location called Tanque Verde Creek, right on the edge of Tucson in the Catalina Mountains. Normally a trickle, during the mosoon it can flow nicely. On this particular evening we had a nice set of clouds and color to round it out.
Fred Weymouth|Tucson, AZ
Host, Lens & Landscape Photography Podcast
www.LensandLandscape.net

the_marshall_101

Re: Desert Oasis
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 01:29:59 pm »

Nice colour and composition - can't help feeling the foreground water should be much more defined though (e.g. lower shutter speed).  Detracts a bit for me.

Jens Peermann

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2016, 09:47:22 pm »

I understand that you intend to show the subject in its environment, which is good. However the subject still needs to be prominent. As is, the waterfall fills only about one third of the frame and also appears cut-off. Have you tried to capture this scene with a superwide lens that will allow the subject to appear complete and dominate the foreground while still fitting all of the surroundings into the frame, only much smaller?

maddogmurph

• Maddog's Photography
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 01:52:19 am »

You have great light here to work with. I'm sure you have other images from this set/shoot. Could you stitch them together for a pano? Have you tried cross processing the sky and the foreground to get a more dynamic range of light/color/contrast? (http://www.shutterevolve.com/tutorials/digital-blending/) Take a look at what Jimmy does there, might give you some ideas. And don't get me wrong I'm not really knocking the image, I just see more potential and I'd appreciate if guys made suggestions when I post. Although I suspect you might have a gem somewhere with that light that you might not have fully uncovered.
Maddog Murph
www.depictionsofbeauty.com
Mostly here for constructive feedback.

fredweymouth

• Lens & Landscape Photography Podcast
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 02:56:53 pm »

Thanks everyone for the comments. I am actually happy with the image as it is. I was more trying to share my part of the world as opposed to looking for a critique.  :D
Fred Weymouth|Tucson, AZ
Host, Lens & Landscape Photography Podcast
www.LensandLandscape.net

stamper

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2016, 05:50:25 am »

Thanks everyone for the comments. I am actually happy with the image as it is. I was more trying to share my part of the world as opposed to looking for a critique.  :D

I like it and wouldn't change it. It was your vision of the image that you presented for critique and I respect that. I sometimes feel that some members have vivid imaginations about a scene that they didn't experience and make suggestions that aren't realistic. There aren't any faults to nitpick so imo a fine image. :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up