Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Oly EM-1 with new 300mm for birds in flight  (Read 1358 times)

Dicksphoto

Oly EM-1 with new 300mm for birds in flight
« on: March 26, 2016, 03:13:57 pm »

I have just received a 300mm f4 Olympus lens for my Oly EM-1.  My goal is to shoot birds in Flight.  I am creating a specific Myset for birds in flight and wildlife.

What AF settings would you suggest? 

Does anyone have any suggested settings.  Is there a way of having the camera only take images after there is a confirmation of focus. 

I

b_rubenstein

Re: Oly EM-1 with new 300mm for birds in flight
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 09:19:47 pm »

C-AF will probably be best, if you can keep the AF sensor on the bird. Under "Gears", C Release, set Rls Priority S and C to OFF for focus priority. Still no guarantee that the subject will be in focus.

TonyVentourisPhotography

• Unlocking Olympus
Re: Oly EM-1 with new 300mm for birds in flight
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 05:39:31 pm »

Are you familiar with custom setups? 
I highly recommend setting a custom setup for you standard shooting but with single-af+manual and the duplicating the setup but saved with continuous AF.  Then you can program the lens custom button to the second preset.  When you hit the button if will toggle your autofocus between the modes.  You can quickly switch focus style without moving your hands off position.

I would also set one front body buttons to FP-Home.  Then set your focal point home from the custom A menu to a 3x3 grid.  You can then have whatever focal point you like of any size...and then toggle back and fourth between the large focus target as needed.  I found sometimes this helps in tracking depending on the size of the subject. 

If you are not doing manual exposure, I would set the metering to center weighted. 
Tony
Unlockingolympus.com (ebooks & blog on getting the most from your OMD & Pen)
tonyventourisphotography.com (Commercial Photography)
Pages: [1]   Go Up