Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Save for web and devices CS5 too much sharpening  (Read 2581 times)

kevs

Save for web and devices CS5 too much sharpening
« on: March 25, 2016, 08:03:42 pm »

CS5 in save for web and devices is sharpening the images too much, yet I cannot remember where the sharpen slider is. thanks.
Canon 5DS4/ 5D2/ Canon 16-35, 24-105, fixed 85, Profoto D1s

Tim Lookingbill

Re: Save for web and devices CS5 too much sharpening
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 12:43:30 am »

Is the method of downsizing for the web set to Bicubic Smoother or Bicubic Sharpen as shown in the Save For Web screengrab below?

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 11:14:45 am »

Is the method of downsizing for the web set to Bicubic Smoother or Bicubic Sharpen as shown in the Save For Web screengrab below?

Correct, it uses the default resampling method (set in preferences) to resize before saving as JPEG. So BiCubic would be the more neutral option, but it's inferior to first resizing in Photoshop, then applying a proper output sharpening and then outputting via Save for Web. It's simple to make an action that does those steps, and can be executed with one click, or hotkey.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

kevs

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 12:02:19 pm »

Thanks guys, it is defaulting to bicubic which adds a strong sharpen.  Is this preference located in save for web window or main Photoshop preference? Of the list dropdown which choice sharpens the least?

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2016, 12:05:58 pm »

Thanks guys, it is defaulting to bicubic which adds a strong sharpen.  Is this preference located in save for web window or main Photoshop preference? Of the list dropdown which choice sharpens the least?

It's located in the Photoshop preferences, but it doesn't really sharpen (although it will add aliasing artifacts). Resizing before going into the Save for Web dialog, gives much more control.

Cheers,
Bart

kevs

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2016, 12:08:14 pm »

Thanks Bart, I do a crop which takes the photo from huge Tiff size to web 1500 x1000. But the save for web bicubic, I'm seeing a sharpening bump? no?

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2016, 01:19:47 pm »

Thanks Bart, I do a crop which takes the photo from huge Tiff size to web 1500 x1000. But the save for web bicubic, I'm seeing a sharpening bump? no?

Hi,

A crop (without resizing) should not affect the sharpening, but any resizing may affect detail due to aliasing artifacts.
Bicubic resizing does not really sharpen images, so I can't explain what you seem to observe.

Cheers,
Bart

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2016, 02:37:06 pm »

OK, after reading this exchange I have to say I'm not totally clear on how you're working in CS5 using SFW, kevs.

I use CS5 most of the time and don't have a sharpening problem using SFW. You said you used Bicubic. We need to know if it's Bicubic Sharpen or Bicubic Smoother in SFW.

Bicubic Sharpen in "Image Size..." dialog box produces harsh, thick edges overall. I've never used Bicubic Sharpen in SFW because I downsize for web from 3000px to 700px on the long end using Bicubic Smoother in "Image Size..." I then use SFW to automate converting from ProPhotoRGB/16bit/Raw to sRGB/8bit/jpeg.

Just FYI if I know I'm not going to do any work in Photoshop I automate the downsizing and conversion directly from within Bridge using "Image Processor..." under the Tool menu. It's set to Bicubic Smoother with correct looking sharpening. It does not go through SFW.

From what you've described you're seeing really bad sharpening ONLY when using SFW. Do you see it within SFW's Preview and/or after you reopen the SFW processed image?

It looks OK when first downsizing using "Image Size...". Is this correct? Or are you downsizing and converting to sRGB/jpeg all in SFW and seeing the bad sharpening AFTER reopening the downsized image in Photoshop? Just to be even more specific are you seeing the bad sharpening WITHIN SFW's Preview pane?

There's another issue not mentioned about your workflow that is very important. There is an additional output sharpening setting selected at the bottom of ACR's bounding pane where resolution and output working space can be changed. ACR's 100% zoom preview does not show this output sharpening. When I open into Photoshop I have to check this output sharpening at 25% or 100% view.

Also as a caveat you should be assessing all sharpening from ACR into Photoshop at 100% before doing any further editing including cropping. 

There, I think I covered all bases.

kevs

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2016, 01:05:23 am »

Thanks Tim,

I crop the image in PS to 1500 x 1000 with no sharpening.

I see huge sharpening happening in SFW preview before clicking ok.

What is the setting in SFW that does not sharpen? I see 5 settings.

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2016, 01:53:52 pm »

Thanks Tim,

I crop the image in PS to 1500 x 1000 with no sharpening.

I see huge sharpening happening in SFW preview before clicking ok.

What is the setting in SFW that does not sharpen? I see 5 settings.

Is 1500 x 1000 the finished size or do you further downsize in SFW? If you downsize further in SFW you need to select Bicubic Smoother. If you don't downsize then it doesn't matter. There's something else going on that I won't be able to help you on.

Does the over sharpened look retained when saving out of SFW and opening the image in Photoshop or does it only show in the SFW preview?

kevs

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2016, 09:58:01 pm »

Thanks Tom, I think it was oversharpened in PS without looking at it at 50 or 100%.

But in SFW, does SWF sharpen, is that a sharpening setting?

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2016, 01:34:18 am »

But in SFW, does SWF sharpen, is that a sharpening setting?

SFW sharpens when you downsize using Bicubic Sharper instead of Bicubic Smoother in the lower right panel I showed in my previous screengrab. It functions the same as downsizing in "Image Size...".

kevs

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2016, 01:43:50 pm »

Thanks Tim! You pushed me well to get to the bottom of this!
Pages: [1]   Go Up