Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: H2D  (Read 19259 times)

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
H2D
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2006, 08:55:28 am »

This is probably apparent to you but I thought it's worth a mention anyway. You wont see the 12 stop range of a digi back on a monitor or print but the detail is there in the raw file and can be used.

It does mean that you can often comfortably use a shot that's 3 or so stops out (not that any of us charging for out time should shoot frames 3 stops out) or create 2 or more files from one raw and blend them to get both ends of the histogram displaying.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=66340\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You should see the difference in the gradients, eg how an arm or a leg goes from highlight to shadow, and in the specular reflections, whether on faces or on metal objects. The gradients are and speculars where the 1DsII shows some weakness, noise is not a problem there. As for the Nikons, I haven't tested the D2x, but the D200 is not at all in the same league as the Canon full frames.

Paradoxically, my latest post-processing trick in my effort to wring better quality out of the 1DsII files involves adding a little noise - I find this adds perceptible sharpness somehow, and my impression is it also improves the rendering of the speculars.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

rsmphoto

• http://www.rsmphoto.com
H2D
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2006, 09:43:16 am »

Steve,

I'm puzzled by this. I have been using a CF132 (same animal as a CFH, just self-powered, right?) for 5 months now and have consistently encountered noise at 1, 2 and 5 sec. I suggested to Hasselblad in Redmond that it might be my back that has the problem because you and others have said it's not an issue, sending 3f files to Per (which were forwarded to Denmark). The word back from Denmark is it's normal and they're working on it! So, it's more than a bit discouraging to hear that you've not had that issue while I see it daily. Makes me think of the processor whine in the MacBook Pros that many get, but a few others don't.

Richard Mandelkorn

Regarding noise - I'm surprised to hear that. We've been a Hasselblad (Imacon) dealer since 2003, and have seen nothing but clean files at those exposure times. We have the CFH-22 and just received the CFH-39 - apparently 1 of only 2 in the country at the moment. I'll do some long exposure testing with both this week and see what I come up with.

Thanks,
Steve Hendrix
PPR Digital
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=66320\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: May 23, 2006, 09:55:24 am by rsmphoto »

dazzajl

H2D
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2006, 11:51:45 am »

You should see the difference in the gradients, eg how an arm or a leg goes from highlight to shadow, and in the specular reflections, whether on faces or on metal objects.

Absolutley. I wasn't saying that you won't see gains as they are there even when it's just in subtle ways that it shows. You still wont see detail in areas 12 stops apart on the monitor or in print but that doesn't mean that aren't huge benifits to having that much detail held in the raw file.

mtomalty

• http://www.marktomalty.com
H2D
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2006, 01:11:36 pm »

Steve

I'll look forward to your impressions concerning long exposures.
I shot,briefly,last night the Montreal skyline with a P45 and ended up using exposure times
in the 60-90 second range@ iso 100. Noise was,for all intents and purposes, not evident even after
dialing,way back,the default noise and banding settings in CaptureOne.

I used the back on a Hasselblad Arcbody with 45mm (non digital) and the sharpness was
extremely impressive-easily the most detailed digital capture I've yet made,or seen.
Individual brick detail could be seen in buildings a kilometer away.
Assuming that digitally optimized lenses should add another degree of resolving ability is
difficult to imagine without seeing firsthand.

Mark

pprdigital

• http://www.phaseone.com
H2D
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2006, 10:46:06 pm »

Steve,

I'm puzzled by this. I have been using a CF132 (same animal as a CFH, just self-powered, right?) for 5 months now and have consistently encountered noise at 1, 2 and 5 sec. I suggested to Hasselblad in Redmond that it might be my back that has the problem because you and others have said it's not an issue, sending 3f files to Per (which were forwarded to Denmark). The word back from Denmark is it's normal and they're working on it! So, it's more than a bit discouraging to hear that you've not had that issue while I see it daily. Makes me think of the processor whine in the MacBook Pros that many get, but a few others don't.

Richard Mandelkorn
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=66352\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Richard:

I did some tests today with our CFH-39. Mutliple exposures up to 32 seconds. I witnessed no noise. Under what conditions do you encounter noise - subject, lighting conditions, ISO, etc?

Also, Mark Tomalty - none of the digital backs provide for longer than 32 seconds (officially) other than the Phase One backs. But in terms of noise, as I mentioned to Richard, at 32 seconds, I encounteredno noise with the Hasselblad CFH-39.

Steve Hendrix
PPR Digital
Steve Hendrix
[url=http://www.phaseone.c

marc gerritsen

• http://www.marcgerritsen.com
H2D
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2006, 11:05:10 pm »

That sounds promising Steve! I will be testing the H2D39 on monday and will mostly test it for noise.
I hope it will be a lot better than the 22. cheers

rsmphoto

• http://www.rsmphoto.com
H2D
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2006, 09:42:24 am »

Richard:

I did some tests today with our CFH-39. Mutliple exposures up to 32 seconds. I witnessed no noise. Under what conditions do you encounter noise - subject, lighting conditions, ISO, etc?

Also, Mark Tomalty - none of the digital backs provide for longer than 32 seconds (officially) other than the Phase One backs. But in terms of noise, as I mentioned to Richard, at 32 seconds, I encounteredno noise with the Hasselblad CFH-39.

Steve Hendrix
PPR Digital
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=66686\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Steve,

Again, this is with my CF132. The noise begins to appear when shooting interiors at 1 sec - with various available light sources, often my shots combine 1s - 4s exposures with strobe. Longer exposures increase the incidence of noise. Interestingly my limited testing of the CF-39 side by side with Gina's CFH132 showed no noise in those ranges, which makes me still wonder whether it's a problem with my individual back despite what Tech in Redmond and Denmark say.

Richard

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
H2D
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2006, 09:46:18 am »

Steve,

often my shots combine 1s - 4s exposures with strobe.
Richard
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=66716\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Fairly typical use for this type of product. At what size of enlargement would the noise begin to show ?

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

marc gerritsen

• http://www.marcgerritsen.com
H2D
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2006, 09:55:11 am »

Well the story continues!
After my initial let down of the 400 iso of the H2D22 I have tested the H2D39 this morning.
I actually only tested it on noise because this was my only reservation left.
The result of 32 sec at 50 iso were perfect!
At 400 iso there was noise in the dark parts, more or less the same as 800 iso with my D2X.
Hasselblad garanteed me they are still working on firmware to eliviate that by 50%
I have now decided to go for the H2D39 and will have it in about 2 weeks!
Good news for jpg users! Hasselblad is also working on firmware so that you can shoot jpg and or raw.
regards
Marc

robbegibson

H2D
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2006, 04:06:48 pm »

Well the story continues!
Hasselblad garanteed me they are still working on firmware to eliviate that by 50%
I have now decided to go for the H2D39 and will have it in about 2 weeks!
Good news for jpg users! Hasselblad is also working on firmware so that you can shoot jpg and or raw.
regards
Marc
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=66898\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Marc,

I like my H2/CFH a lot. However, I wouldn't base any purchasing decision on the promises of Hasselblad firmware updates (like I did). I bought my system in late 12/05. I was promised (by Hasselblad employees) that the CF backs could use CF cards other than Sandisk by 1/06. There would be file compression on CF cards by 2/06. Live video would be enabled by 3/06. The use of firewire hard drives by 2/06. A CF compatible Image bank would be available by 2/06.  The last response was (a week ago) 'we appreciate your patience' but no ETA of anything. My system still locks up every 30 or 40 shots with wierd messages like 'incompatible film speed', but I'm told that firmware will fix those problems, too. It's just a matter of 'when'.

Maybe YMMV.

Robbe
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up