Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Calibration of older monitors with an X-Rite i1 Display Pro?  (Read 2355 times)

Bob_B

• It's all about light
    • Robert Belas Photography
Calibration of older monitors with an X-Rite i1 Display Pro?
« on: March 24, 2016, 08:35:18 am »

I hope to calibrate two old LCD monitors (an LED-LCD Viewsonic that's about 4 years old and an HP fluorescent-LCD that's nearly 8 years old). After a lot of reading, I believe I'll buy an X-Rite i1 Display Pro for the calibration. I haven't bought it yet, so I thought I should ask whether the age of my monitors may present  problems for the calibration software? I am aware that the luminance of these monitors has most likely lessened with age, especially on the HP, but I don't expect this to be a problem. Is this assumption valid? Anything else to be concerned about prior to purchase?

Thanks for your time and response.

Bob
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 10:09:17 am by Bob_B »
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

Doug Gray

Re: Calibration of older monitors with an X-Rite i1 Display Pro?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 01:32:15 pm »

No problem. The older the monitors are the more they benefit from profiling. You might want to first run through them all first to make sure you can set the black point and max luminance where you want if you desire to have them all display similarly.

BTW, X-Rite will profile the monitors. "Calibrate" is usually used to mean adjusting the monitor's controls. That might be part of the process too as it should produce better profiles. You want to first calibrate the monitor's luminance to be the same if that is your goal.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 01:54:54 pm by Doug Gray »

Bob_B

• It's all about light
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 02:49:53 pm »

Thanks for the response and correction on use of calibration v. profile. As I read more, I'm leaning more towards the Colormunki Photo so I can profile my printer as well. (I tend to jump in the deep end first and figure out if I can swim afterwards. lol)
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

AlterEgo

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 03:17:49 pm »

BTW, X-Rite will profile the monitors. "Calibrate" is usually used to mean adjusting the monitor's controls.
it depends - may be he has a software for his HP monitor (may it is something high end like HP ZR24W) that is actually capable to adjust the monitor parameters based on feedback from X-Rite colorimeter (not using X-Rite own standard software naturally)... w/o going manually into monitor setup menu (OSD) and pressing buttons on monitor.

Bob_B

• It's all about light
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2016, 03:25:14 pm »

Re: Higher end HP monitor. Not high end, my HP is just a w2207, but it's been a great monitor for all these years.
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

Pictus

• Retouching
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2016, 08:23:06 pm »

Sometimes yes, sometimes not...
I have a very old Samsung that does not calibrate well anymore, its CFL backlight
is tired and I am unable to achieve the desired white point.

The i1DisplayPro is excellent, but you be happier by using the i1DisplayPro with  Argyll+dispCAL.

Lundberg02

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2016, 12:03:29 am »

Unless you're incredibly fussy, you'll save a bunch of money by printing from Photoshop letting it manage color  using the printer's profile and the appropriate paper profile., instead of using a spectro. Stick wit the i1.

Bob_B

• It's all about light
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2016, 07:58:29 am »

Unless you're incredibly fussy, you'll save a bunch of money by printing from Photoshop letting it manage color  using the printer's profile and the appropriate paper profile., instead of using a spectro. Stick wit the i1.

Thanks. I appreciate your advice regarding choosing the i1 over the Colormunki Photo.
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up