Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Good Ideas Department  (Read 1565 times)

Rob C

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
Re: Good Ideas Department
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 06:33:02 pm »

Imagine how the archivists in libraries feel.

Wasn't there an article on LuLa a while back about using D-SLRs instead of dedicated scanners to digitize slides and negative film? That would be a bit quicker.
--
Robert

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 06:47:47 pm »

Actually, Leica make high-end scanners: they are for slices of tissue (ie bits of human tumour), so the resulting images can be shared among pathologists. The prices are jaw-dropping.

https://www.leicabiosystems.com/digital-pathology/aperio-digital-pathology-slide-scanners/

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 05:20:04 am »

Imagine how the archivists in libraries feel.

Wasn't there an article on LuLa a while back about using D-SLRs instead of dedicated scanners to digitize slides and negative film? That would be a bit quicker.

I've done that camersa-copying stuff for 6x6 with a D700; it's not much fun either, and problems are many, the two greatest being parallel surfaces and the inevitable reduction of the transparency/negative to a small square within a little 135 format - a bit self-defeating.

The author ¡s proposing/praying for a rapid system, as with the original, old scanner he bought. I have a dedicated film scanner (135 format) CanoScan FS 4000 US, and it takes an eternity. Actually, the problem is worse with black/white, where I always found it hard to know what I had without making contact sheets. Yes, contrast etc. is simple to see, but not expressions. If there was even a rapid form of scanning that produced a basic black/white print, as a rough proof only, that would be enough to remove one problem because then you could scan the negative chosen from the proof sheet properly on a quality scanner. I wonder if a cheap, office flatbed scanner could form the basis of this? I have an HP Deskjet 1510 letter printer that scans - never used that function - so perhaps a solution is right there under my nose and I just don't understand/realise it.

Rob

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2016, 04:40:41 pm »

I have a dedicated film scanner (135 format) CanoScan FS 4000 US, and it takes an eternity.

Ah yes, I can confirm. Resolution was wonderful, but sloooooow. I sold mine before leaving Oz.

I had a look recently and the cheapest flat-bed with an illuminated lid for neg scanning was the Epson V550. I think it's about US$160, but in Europe... FNAC have them for 190€, Amazon says 219€.
Pages: [1]   Go Up