Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RAW converters that work with Adobe Bridge/Photoshop?  (Read 2592 times)

dwswager

RAW converters that work with Adobe Bridge/Photoshop?
« on: March 22, 2016, 02:38:23 pm »

I have always used the XMP sidecars with ACR for conversion of my Nikon NEF files.  I have occasion to convert individually numerous images and then finish them in batch format via Bridge/Photoshop  Questions:

1. Do any of the other raw converts create similar XMP sidecar files that can be read/processed by Bridge/Photoshop.

2. I assume that most write the changes directly into the RAW file.  If so, is there a way to get back to As Shot?

3. Which other RAW converters handle the DNG camera profiles created from Xrite Colorchecker Passport?

Thanks.

AlterEgo

Re: RAW converters that work with Adobe Bridge/Photoshop?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 02:59:13 pm »

3. Which other RAW converters handle the DNG camera profiles created from Xrite Colorchecker Passport?
rawtherapee for example ...

Pictus

• Retouching
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 05:17:06 pm »

Photo Ninja can create its own Camera profiles and Light Profiles(super white balance)
http://www.ultravioletphotography.com/content/index.php/topic/621-photo-ninja-how-to-make-a-custom-light-profile/
and uses its own XMP sidecar files, it can also work as "plug-in" for Photoshop.

kirkt

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 06:50:18 pm »

Thanks.

Iridient Developer.

kirk

Denis de Gannes

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2016, 07:57:52 pm »

Photo Ninja can create its own Camera profiles and Light Profiles(super white balance)
http://www.ultravioletphotography.com/content/index.php/topic/621-photo-ninja-how-to-make-a-custom-light-profile/
and uses its own XMP sidecar files, it can also work as "plug-in" for Photoshop.

Is this relevant to the original post question?
Equip: iMac (Ret. 5K,27"Mid 2015),macOS 10.15.6

Dave Ellis

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2016, 03:18:01 am »

1. Do any of the other raw converts create similar XMP sidecar files that can be read/processed by Bridge/Photoshop.

I wouldn't have thought that this was possible because the edit details in the ACR XMP files are specific to the adjustmets in ACR. In general, there would be no direct correspondence between ACR adjustments and those in other raw processors.

Dave
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 03:25:32 am by Dave Ellis »

dwswager

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2016, 07:31:28 am »

I have always used the XMP sidecars with ACR for conversion of my Nikon NEF files.  I have occasion to convert individually numerous images and then finish them in batch format via Bridge/Photoshop  Questions:

2. I assume that most write the changes directly into the RAW file.  If so, is there a way to get back to As Shot?

Thanks.

Let me be clear.  My real problem is that I have a D500 on pre-order and it does not appear that ACR for CS6 will be updated to open these files.  I wish to keep my back end work flow of post processing groups of images post conversion using bridge/photoshop.  I dislike the option of subscription software which leaves moving to LR6 to stay in the Adobe realm.

Hence, I am looking for a conversion tool that will allow me to keep using Bridge/Photoshop.

I also would like to keep the ability use the Colorchecker Passport profiles.

TonyW

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2016, 08:18:50 am »

It looks like you will be stuck until Adobe release a DNG converter for the D5 already released and the D500 imminent release.  Assuming you are happy to convert NEF to DNG of course as it is the only way of using new cameras raw with ACR in CS6

You  may also want to consider LR perpetual which will surely get an update for D5 and D500 in due course

The other option which should be included with the new camera is a version of Nikon NX D which will allow raw editing of native NEF.  As yet I believe this not released

dwswager

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2016, 08:35:43 am »

You  may also want to consider LR perpetual which will surely get an update for D5 and D500 in due course

The other option which should be included with the new camera is a version of Nikon NX D which will allow raw editing of native NEF.  As yet I believe this not released

Yeah, I'm thinking LR6 might be in my future.  And Nikon did just release and update to Nikon NX-D that supports the D5, but not yet the D500.

TonyW

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2016, 03:55:37 pm »

It seems that DNG converter 9.5 includes both D5 and D500.
https://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=6029
Pages: [1]   Go Up