Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: moving away from timeless varnish  (Read 2386 times)

mstevensphoto

• Denver Commercial Photographer
moving away from timeless varnish
« on: March 22, 2016, 02:26:31 pm »

after changing canvas and stretchers I find that the only thing I need from breathing color is Timeless. I have zero complaints about timeless BUT everything else I get much much faster and with free shipping (or locally) from other vendors. Is Print Shield as good? as easy? if I switch will I be upset or against a big learning curve?

thanks for your thoughts.

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
Re: moving away from timeless varnish
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 03:19:25 pm »

I moved from Glamor to Timeless back to glamor.
The only thing going for Timeless was it was a quick dry product. Cost, about double what it should cost. That's a killer because I use a ton of this stuff.
I mix about a gal. of Glamor at a time. 50% gloss 25% matt and 25% water. Since I spray about every other day it gets used up pretty fast.
Cost isn't everything because it is a pain to mix.

Garnick

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 04:01:47 pm »

Unfortunately I cannot offer a direct comparison, so I can only throw my 2¢ worth into the "mix" as it relates to Eco Print Shield, a product I've been using for more than ten years.  As with Dan I also vary my mixes.  I use the Satin and Gloss varieties mostly, with a bit of Matte thrown in occasionally.  I generally mix approximately one liter at a time, which I will then use as needed.  As an example, I would mix 50% Satin with 50% Gloss to obtain a more subtle gloss finish.  Since I roll it on I also dilute the final mix by 20% with distilled water, as recommended by Premier Imaging.  I also keep a diluted mix of Satin only, as some customers want very little gloss.  I recently had a customer who wanted Matte only, so I now have that added to my coating arsenal.  The only issue I have with Print Shield is its propensity to fall out of solution, thereby requiring a very vigorous shaking before use.  It now comes in a heavy duty plastic paint can.  I assume the idea is that one would take it to a paint shop and have them shake it in their paint mixer.  That would work fine for the initial shake, but as the volume decreases and therefore more air in the can I would never try that method, too much air in the mix in that case.  I use a paint mixer that attaches to an electric drill to do the initial mix and before I do a 1 liter mix.  Once I have the 1 liter volume I use a paddle to mix before pouring into the paint tray.  For the most part that procedure seems to keep it homogeneous,  but I also use a very fine strainer to alleviate any small clumps that might have settled.  The application is pretty straight forward, a 6" high density foam roller.  You will always see lots of bubbles immediately following the coating(especially the second and third coatings), but that's not a problem, they will dry down and disappear.  I have another framer do the stretching and she has only encountered one situation with cracking corners.  I called Premier Imaging and they said it was probably improperly loaded in the plane in which it was shipped and it froze at some point.  The following day I had a call from the distributor to let me know there was a can waiting for me, no charge.  I've always found Premier Imaging easy to deal with, mostly due to the fact that there are very few issues, if any. 

Probably a lot more info than you actually needed, but I hope this does help on some level.

Gary 
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

shadowblade

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 01:41:55 am »

I've tried a few and have yet to find anything that works as well as Timeless. One or two coats of gloss first (80% Timeless/20% water) to penetrate the base layer and inkjet layer to strengthen and stabilise them, then either some more gloss for a high-gloss finish, or a thin coat of satin if I want to kill the gloss.

I haven't found anything that provides both the physical and UV protection that Timeless does.

Of course, it helps that I order other things (Pura papers and Lyve canvas) from Breathing Color. What doesn't help is that my printer is dead and unusable for the time being, and I need to rely on others for printing...

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 05:19:15 am »

What doesn't help is that my printer is dead and unusable for the time being, and I need to rely on others for printing...

Sorry to hear that Shadowblade.  What printer do you have that is DOA? 
Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

shadowblade

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2016, 11:18:59 am »

Sorry to hear that Shadowblade.  What printer do you have that is DOA?

Epson 7900 - got it for cheap second-hand and converted to run a custom inkset. Went away for a six-week trip and came back to find every single colour badly clogged. Managed to mostly unclog it apart from magenta, then the electronics failed.

HP Z3200 (shared with several wedding photographers, since it's hard to justify buying one for the volume of printing that I do, although I handled the entire technical side of it and personally produced many of the critical prints for them) - porcelain toilet fell through the ceiling onto it. Seriously...

mstevensphoto

• Denver Commercial Photographer
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2016, 09:03:28 pm »

I'm not looking for a less expensive product, nor am I looking to switch to another breathing color product. I'd like to move away from BC all together.
There is a Lexjet right here in my area and IT Supplies gets me stuff in two days for free. the speed with which I can get things for no added cost is a big motivator.

it may be worth mentioning that this is exclusively for spraying canvases.
Pages: [1]   Go Up