Equipment & Techniques > Beginner's Questions

Green

(1/4) > >>

MarkJohnson:
A naive, ignorant question: does the Bayer array over-represent green? The two green to one red and one blue sensors seems perhaps a crude ratio, unlikely to reflect precisely the differential retinal RGB sensitivities, albeit green sensitivity being greatest. (Maybe these differential sensitivities don't have to be that precisely reflected in sensor anatomy.) With my D800E and now D810 I have often found greens a little too saturated, too bright and/or too yellow, more or less fixable with adjustments under HSL of green and maybe, if overall image not overly affected, yellow. I mostly use LR, sometimes C1 & occasionally DxO Optics Pro. Display is calibrated and printer profiled. Can my experience be related to Bayer sensor structure?

Ed B:
I've never seen a newbie question quite like this!   :D

Schewe:

--- Quote from: MarkJohnson on March 22, 2016, 01:57:55 pm ---A naive, ignorant question: does the Bayer array over-represent green? The two green to one red and one blue sensors seems perhaps a crude ratio, unlikely to reflect precisely the differential retinal RGB sensitivities, albeit green sensitivity being greatest.

--- End quote ---

Since the sensitivities of the eye is weighted towards green (which represent as you say the greatest spectral sensitivity) The Bayer array does NOT "over-represent" green...it represents an appropriate amount of spectral response. There's a reason why there are 2 greens, one red and one blue–it works out well for sensors and demosiacing.

razrblck:
If you have too much green cast you can use the tint slider in both LR and C1 to compensate for that before having to rely on HSL adjustments. You might also need to make profiles for your camera (like with DCamProf) to get more natural colors out of the box.

I think it was demonstrated somewhere else in this forum that final image colors depend more on camera profiles and demosaicing than CFAs or sensor tech, so if you are worried you are not getting the most out of your camera you can stop and enjoy the pictures you get.

MarkJohnson:
I should have added, I use a ColorChecker Passport camera profile.

The tint slider will affect the whole image. What would be nice in C1 color editor, would be if, when selecting a colour and then selecting display of just that colour in the whole image, we could make that, in PS terms, a selection, then make that selection into a new adjustment layer, then fiddle with tint etc just in that layer.

Jeff, it might be interesting to see results from sensors with, say, 1.5, 1.75, 2.0, 2.25, 2.5 times as many green receptors as red & blue.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version