Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Printer recommendations  (Read 3276 times)

Andrew W

• http://
Printer recommendations
« on: May 14, 2006, 02:54:42 pm »

I want to acquire a printer that can do 13 x 19 really good quality prints. Most of which will be for me and my family, and some for selling.

Up until now, I have been using an HP 7960. 8 x 10s are easy and idiot proof on this simple ink jet.

I am totally unexperienced when it comes to larger format printers, high quality inks, profiles, etc. I can learn fast what I need to know, but a few things concern me.

1. The cost of inks as I am not a high volume user.
2. Nozzles getting stopped up if I dont print for a couple of weeks.

Just going to the lab is always one option, only going to the lab is a drag as it is about 30 minutes from my house...I find myself not doing enlargements because the lab is far away.

With all that said, what printer might you recommend?
also, is there a good internet site to get someone from a 8x10 ink jet up to speed for larger format printers.
Thanks,

Andrew
[span style='color:green'][span style='f

TurnerJon

Printer recommendations
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2006, 07:28:30 pm »

I really like my Canon i9900. The print head is easily removable for cleaning if it sits too long.  The new pigment ink models may be even better choices, but I won't be upgrading until the i9900 dies. Prices on the i9900 should be coming down with the release of the pigment models.

DarkPenguin

Printer recommendations
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2006, 09:18:12 pm »

I'd wait and see how the HP B8190 looks.

Andrew W

• http://
Printer recommendations
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 01:42:03 am »

I'd wait and see how the HP B8190 looks.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=65467\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That is what I was thinking. Will this type of printer tend to have issues with clogging?

Thanks,

Andrew
[span style='color:green'][span style='f

DarkPenguin

Printer recommendations
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2006, 11:42:05 am »

Word is that it is supposed to be better at clearing clogs and at dealing with them in the middle of a print.  It also has pretty big ink cartridges for a printer at its price point.

It all sounds very interesting (particularly the bigger ink tanks) but until it is reviewed it is hard to tell if it actually works.

I'm also very curious about its closed loop calibration system.
Pages: [1]   Go Up