Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stitching with CFV-50C and Flexbody?  (Read 1291 times)

kaweis

Stitching with CFV-50C and Flexbody?
« on: March 21, 2016, 05:19:54 am »

With the current price reductions, I am seriously considering to upgrade to MF and to purchase a Hasselblad CFV-50C back. I have tested the back with some older V lenses and I am very happy with the quality. The only downside is the lack of wide-angle options on the legacy Hasselblad system with the smaller CFV-50C sensor. I mainly shoot landscape and would also need something in the 20-22mm range (35mm equivalent). One option would be to do panoramic stitching (e.g combining 2 portrait shots with the 40mm Zeiss would get me there). Alternatively, I could try to get a Flexbody and could stitch with sensor shift. I have never used this but it appears that you can shift +/-14mm up and down, which would nicely cover the full image circle of the 40mm V lens (in portrait position). Does anyone here have experience with such a set-up? Would I have to be worried about color-shifts or vignetting etc? How accurate is this system with regard to sensor alignment/focal plane? I am not too concerned about tilting right now, and I am only searching for wide angle options for the CFV-50C.
Another alternative would be to go to an Alpa or similar but the additional cost would be quite substantial.

Hank Keeton

• SeeingTao
Re: Stitching with CFV-50C and Flexbody?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 12:42:11 pm »

Yes, with the 33x44 sensor you'd be able to rise a bit with the 40mm....but only rise...no shift. Hence, landscape mode for the MFDB...not portrait.

Stitching without a sliding back is always problematic for focus, so I'd check focus for each shot. Using camera-shift and/or -rise to stitch, requires patience and planning.

"Wide" is such a matter of personal taste...some like it "hot"...some like it "not." Those preferring wider might seek other alternatives.

Enjoy!

Cheers,

Hank
....always seeking.....

SeeingTao.com

TonyVentourisPhotography

• Unlocking Olympus
Re: Stitching with CFV-50C and Flexbody?
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 01:11:50 pm »

The wide angle issue has what has kept me on a P45 still.  I'de love a cmos sensor with the better ISO.  I would have to go with a Rodenstock 23mm to recreate the same angle most likely.  Expensive option.  Does the Cambo Actus actar 24mm might be an option if you don't need to shift much at that length.
Tony
Unlockingolympus.com (ebooks & blog on getting the most from your OMD & Pen)
tonyventourisphotography.com (Commercial Photography)
Pages: [1]   Go Up