Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stormy Tree  (Read 1622 times)

maddogmurph

• Maddog's Photography
Stormy Tree
« on: March 20, 2016, 10:39:06 pm »

Just because I love you guys...

Pulling into Torroweap during an incoming lightning storm is pretty scary. Even with a solid 4x4 if it rains enough you can get stuck out here until the clay hardens. We barely made it out as this storm came in, but we were able to get some shots before becoming too uncomfortable with the wind and lightning. The North Rim of the Grand Canyon is incredible, it offers a huge amount of opportunity for fascinating light, weathered trees, grand vistas, and maybe even a rattle snake while you're shooting.

This was a shot I snapped off right upon arrival, took two brackets, one for the sky and one for the foreground, and blended them just a touch to bring out the details in the darker parts of the image. I didn't realize at the time how spectacular the light was coming out of this hole in the storm clouds, and I've debated whether I should crop into this many times. But I sort of like it how it was originally composed, and so I've left it as I shot it here.
Maddog Murph
www.depictionsofbeauty.com
Mostly here for constructive feedback.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: Stormy Tree
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 12:19:19 am »

Fine one. It has a sort of Hieronymus Bosch feel to it.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 08:14:27 am »

Something serious is about to happen...it may not be good.

Peter

francois

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 08:24:09 am »

I like the "end of the world" mood of this one.
Bravo!
Francois

Bob_B

• It's all about light
    • Robert Belas Photography
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 09:03:29 am »

Wonderful. I agree that this does look like doomsday. I particularly like the complementary hues, and your blending was spot-on perfect.
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2016, 10:18:59 am »

The sky is very good. for my taste, I find the shadows a bit lifeless/dull, and there is a hint of na halo around the rocks? But indeed, what a situation.

thierrylegros396

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2016, 02:01:54 pm »

Amazing sky  :o :)

Thierry

maddogmurph

• Maddog's Photography
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2016, 10:12:19 pm »

The sky is very good. for my taste, I find the shadows a bit lifeless/dull, and there is a hint of na halo around the rocks? But indeed, what a situation.

Yeah that halo's a bitch, although so slight it's not really noticeable even at high res.  And the lifeless was a choice in my processing, I actually wanted it lifeless just like you said to express the barren nature and to draw attention into the light, but part of me things maybe I could do more as the photograph generally wasn't very well received in some of my other circles. I also thought about maybe this crop. I don't know, regardless I'm not really feeling this one too strongly.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 05:14:32 am by maddogmurph »
Maddog Murph
www.depictionsofbeauty.com
Mostly here for constructive feedback.

Jens Peermann

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2016, 10:19:19 pm »

Great how the tree connects the rugged landscape with the wild clouds by reaching into the sky. The cropped version gives a nice detail but pales without the tree.

the_marshall_101

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2016, 04:49:34 pm »

I can imagine it was a dramatic scene in real life but for me it doesn't translate. Shooting into the light means it will never look very real when trying to heavily brighten the foreground later and therefore the result isn't very pleasing to my eye, sorry :(
Pages: [1]   Go Up