Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any rumors of a new Nikon to match Canons 50 mp?  (Read 7419 times)

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Re: Any rumors of a new Nikon to match Canons 50 mp?
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2016, 03:18:53 pm »

Hi,

What he says is that modern lenses with many air to glass surfaces reduce microcontrast. I think it is absolutely true, depending on what you mean by:

• Microcontrast
  • Reduce
  • True
  • False

A lot of terms have been invented to describe magic properties of lenses, leaving interpretations pretty free. Unfortunately, I have not seen that many samples from Otus lenses, though. Jim Kasson has made some serious research into short telephoto lenses, with a lot of interesting findings: http://blog.kasson.com/?p=13065

My take is really that a lot of effort goes into designing a lens having excellent performance at large apertures and I would say that effort gives diminishing returns once you stop down to medium apertures. Originally I considered the Otus 85/1.4 (to much money and to heavy), looked at the Zeiss 135/2 APO (wrong focal length), Zeiss Batis 85/1.9 (no delivery schedule/no test data) so I finally ended with the Sony 90/2.8G Macro (overhyped).

In the end, we have the stuff we have, and we need to learn to make best use of it. Decent quality stuff, properly used, will deliver excellent quality. By the way, "properly used" may be the most important factor in that equation.

Best regards
Erik

Got to love that video, all the preview is done on an iPad.  Great tool to really check out overall quality in a lens.  Sorry, not for me.

Paul C
Erik Kaffehr

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2016, 04:24:46 pm »

Bart,

Please tell me you did not take my previous post seriously.

Of course not Rob, but in case someone might not understand what Yannick Khong was describing on his blogpost, and how to deal with that, I thought it might be useful to offer a solution. The video was about a lot of hot air from someone publicly making a bit of a fool of himself.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

RobertJ

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2016, 10:03:06 pm »

Nikon has absolutely the best shadows and file "push-ability" of any camera in the world, and also better than Sony.  Nikon seems to use Sony's sensors better than Sony themselves.

However, I can't get away from Canon's ability to make amazing lenses.  The new 35 1.4 seems to be just about as good as the 28 OTUS.  What will the new 50 1.4 or 1.2 L lenses be like?  What about a new 85 1.2L?  Also, I far prefer Canon's colors over Nikon, although, with Capture One, every camera has very good color.  That lab test is hilarious, because Canon obviously has a color advantage.

Also, you either see this or you don't:  Sony and Nikon look very digital to me.  Canon looks like cinema, or fantasy, which I prefer.  Kind of like a really sharp video camera (Nikon/Sony) versus a beautiful cinema camera (Canon). 

I expect the 1DX2 and new full-frame Canon cameras to have slightly better DR than the new 80D, but still far behind the current and future Nikons.  Everyone has pros and cons.

AlterEgo

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2016, 02:32:48 am »

I expect the 1DX2 and new full-frame Canon cameras to have slightly better DR than the new 80D, but still far behind the current and future Nikons. 

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1421137

granted you might want a 2nd source to confirm, but still...

RobertJ

« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2016, 07:55:26 am »

Yeah, I've been looking at the 80D files from imaging-resource in Capture One (CR2 converted to DNGs, Phase didn't update C1 yet), pushing the files how I usually would push with my workflow, and it's a good improvement.  However, all of this 80D testing made me discover how insane the Nikon D7200 is.  What kind of special sauce did they put in that thing?

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2016, 08:05:08 am »

However, all of this 80D testing made me discover how insane the Nikon D7200 is.  What kind of special sauce did they put in that thing?

And that's a one year old camera seen by many as a minor upgrade... ;)

The reality being that it beats all P1 backs in DR except the last 2 CMOS ones.

Cheers,
Bernard

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2016, 10:56:30 am »

Hi,

The info could be interpreted that Canon finally put column-wise ADCs on the sensor, like Sony does. Would be major news.

Best regards
Erik

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1421137

granted you might want a 2nd source to confirm, but still...
Erik Kaffehr

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2016, 11:38:39 am »

I can't speak to the D7200 itself, but if that is same chip that Fuji used in the X-Pro2 (with their x-trans array), then Kudos to Sony, as it's a excellent chip in the X-Pro2.  Vastly superior in noise and DR to even the X-T1 at least to my eyes, which was a total and pleasant surprise.

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up