Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Can any camera do focus-stacking directly in the camera?  (Read 5923 times)

henrikfoto

Can any camera do focus-stacking directly in the camera?
« on: March 18, 2016, 06:51:30 pm »

I am using a Nikon D800e with a Camranger to do focus-stacking.
It works good, but can any camera now do focus-stacking directly in the camera?

I don't need the pictures to be processed in the camera. I use Helicon focus for that.

Torbjörn Tapani

Re: Can any camera do focus-stacking directly in the camera?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 08:14:08 pm »

Olympus OM-D E-M1 does focus stacking and focus bracketing with a newer firmware.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 08:48:45 pm »

Olympus OM-D E-M1 does focus stacking and focus bracketing with a newer firmware.

gh4 new firmware can rack the focus. Also gx8
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2016, 02:50:45 am »

The P1 XF with the latest firmware can automate the capture, but not generate the stack in camera. ;)

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 05:26:39 pm by BernardLanguillier »

henrikfoto

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2016, 06:03:19 am »

But Nikon, Canon and Sony can not do this?

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2016, 06:08:37 am »

But Nikon, Canon and Sony can not do this?

Hi Henrik,

I assume certain Canon models can if the MagicLantern firmware is used, but only with AF lenses not manual focus ones.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

henrikfoto

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2016, 06:19:04 am »

Hi Henrik,

I assume certain Canon models can if the MagicLantern firmware is used, but only with AF lenses not manual focus ones.

Cheers,
Bart

Thank you for answer!
I am not familiar with this firmware. If I buy the  Canon 5ds r and add this firmware it can do automated stacking?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 10:26:05 am by henrikfoto »

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2016, 10:31:08 am »

Thank you for answer!
I am not familiar with this firmware. If I buy the  Canon 5ds r and add this firmware it can do automated stacking?

I'm not sure if they have hacked the 5DS/5DS R yet, but you can find more info here.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2016, 10:52:55 am »

I am not sure it is possible to make stacking in camera. Magic Lantern is an alternative firmware for Canon. You boot it from a memory card. CamRanger can shoot stack shots automatically.

Sony doesn't have interface for stacking in camera. Nikon, I don’t know.

Best regards
Erik

Thank you for answer!
Erik Kaffehr

dwswager

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2016, 09:24:06 pm »

I am using a Nikon D800e with a Camranger to do focus-stacking.
It works good, but can any camera now do focus-stacking directly in the camera?

I don't need the pictures to be processed in the camera. I use Helicon focus for that.

Pathetic, but no, at least for the big 3 Canon, Nikon and Sony.   Apps to be are the killer feature that still sits out there for differentiation.  I realize battery/processing cycles are issues, but how nice it would be to have this type of functionality. 

For example, the user should be able to set a Circle of Confusion and the camera should report the Near/Far DOF  based on the focal length, focus distance and aperture that the camera already knows.  Doh!  I think some lower tier cameras do this, but Nikon and Canon can't seem to get their head out of their rears.

one iota

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2016, 10:03:17 pm »

Thank you for answer!

Magic Lantern: no.

DSLR Controller: yes (for my set up being a 5Ds and Nexus 7 tablet) http://dslrcontroller.com/

Mahn England

hjulenissen

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2016, 02:12:02 am »

Focus stacking works in my Canon 7d using magic lantern.

Kind of weird that they insist on offering WB stacking and jpeg histograms, no focus stacking and limited exposure stackinh in a highly competitive market

H

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2016, 09:35:35 am »

Kind of weird that they insist on offering WB stacking and jpeg histograms, no focus stacking and limited exposure stackinh in a highly competitive market

Canon and Nikon may think of themselves as global companies but they don't really understand how many people are using their cameras outside Japan.

Cheers,
Bernard

TonyVentourisPhotography

• Unlocking Olympus
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2016, 01:00:37 pm »

The E-M1 lets you not only capture a user specified series of images...but it can also stack them and output a composited image for you.  If you do the automated stack, it will only shoot 8 images and combine them.  The output image is only a JPG.  But you get the pieces as both jpg and RAW.

If you do not want it to stack for you, the output is simply each focus step as a raw file.  And you can control how wide the steps are and how many.  Actually works pretty darn well and fairly quickly.  Great way to preview a stack.
Tony
Unlockingolympus.com (ebooks & blog on getting the most from your OMD & Pen)
tonyventourisphotography.com (Commercial Photography)

henrikfoto

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2016, 01:42:37 pm »

The E-M1 lets you not only capture a user specified series of images...but it can also stack them and output a composited image for you.  If you do the automated stack, it will only shoot 8 images and combine them.  The output image is only a JPG.  But you get the pieces as both jpg and RAW.

If you do not want it to stack for you, the output is simply each focus step as a raw file.  And you can control how wide the steps are and how many.  Actually works pretty darn well and fairly quickly.  Great way to preview a stack.
[/

Can you tell us how the image quality of this camera is compared to the larger cameras like
Nikon and Canon?

MoreOrLess

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2016, 03:34:53 am »

I'v seen some talk of the new Nikon DL 24-85 having this feature so perhaps this might lead to an introduction on DSLRs?

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2016, 04:28:59 am »

Focus stacking worked fine on my 5D2 with Magic Lantern installed. But Magic Lantern did tend to sit down and have a cup of tea before considering the next shot, so photographing moving objects was out.
David

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2016, 05:46:36 am »

Camranger makes automatic focusstacking possible for Nikon and Canon, as does Helicon Soft.
I asked Nikon about it and one person said that due to the differences in lenses and focus-breathing being differently there was a reason not to implement it in the camera.
They have a point. A lot can go wrong if you do not know what you are doing. I would not like to have it implemented making an automated stack like an HDR option.

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

dwswager

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2016, 07:32:34 am »

Camranger makes automatic focusstacking possible for Nikon and Canon, as does Helicon Soft.
I asked Nikon about it and one person said that due to the differences in lenses and focus-breathing being differently there was a reason not to implement it in the camera.
They have a point. A lot can go wrong if you do not know what you are doing. I would not like to have it implemented making an automated stack like an HDR option.

I concur that I don't want an "automatic stack", but the ability to do things like automatically calculating and shooting the stack would be welcome.  I think we almost need to look at it as onboard apps like a cell phone.  The camera makers can provide the entire app or put the function calls necessary into the system to allow 3rd parties to get the data they need to do the operations.

One negative is the small screens on DSLRs really hinder this type of functionality.  There is a reason cell phones have gotten bigger.  With more functionality comes a need for more screen real estate to work it.

henrikfoto

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2016, 05:24:45 pm »

Isn't this strange when Phase ones new camera can do this allready?
I am not talking about stitching the pictures together. I just want an in camera
functionality that can do a number of shots with the same increasements.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up