Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Working on a concept  (Read 643 times)

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
Working on a concept
« on: March 17, 2016, 09:45:48 pm »

From Rhyolite ruins just outside Death Valley. I am thinking about a diptych with 1 and 2 because I thought they comprised the interesting bits. Would like to hear your opinions. B&W is also an option. Number 3 is what the old building looks like from 122 mm; the others were zooms at 300 mm.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: Working on a concept
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 07:26:12 am »

Good stuff, David. I love this kind of thing. I'd call it wabi sabi, but I think it's gone a bit beyond the point of being made beautiful by age and use.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

degrub

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 10:59:40 pm »

The first two would make good bookends .

Frank

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2016, 08:59:52 am »

David,
I believe the cropped versions (the first two) are stronger than the third, which tells us too much. But, I feel the first two would be improved with more foreground - about the same amount as in the third. They fell too cut off without that foreground.

Another compositional option would be one with more sky as negative space, so that the building, now open to the sky, has breathing room above.

If you have any if these compositions as additional frames, consider exploring them as well.

I do like how the ruined top edges of the walls reflect the top "edges" of the background mountains, but in an opposite direction. There just might be a tightly-cropped image highlighting that concept, as well.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up