Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Windows based workstation.  (Read 10959 times)

JaapD

Re: New Windows based workstation.
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2016, 08:04:17 am »

Very good setup! I was wondering one thing. Why do you go for a PNY Quadro K1200 Graphic Card - 4 GB GDDR5 - PCI Express 2.0 x16? This card is a bit outdated now. Your new MB is capable of PCIe 3.0 while your card has only PCIe 2.0.

I presume you go for OpenCL optimization, therefore selecting a Quadro card. If I were you then I’d go for an Nvidia 980Ti card which is known for its OpenCL and also CUDA capabilities.

Arlen

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2016, 01:29:57 pm »

I built a system very similar to yours a few months ago. Used the first 5 items on your list, as well as the Coolermaster CPU cooler. 32GB of GSkill DDR4 Ram, EVGA Nvidia 650 graphics card. I also added a 500GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD drive for my image-storing working drive. Reused some of my existing HDD and optical drives for longer term storage etc., rather than buying new ones such as those on your list. The cost for the new parts was about $1600 U.S., and I put them together myself. I'm very happy with this system. A quite noticeable improvement in speed; LR and PS move along lickety-split now.

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2016, 03:52:48 pm »

Hi Arlen,

Thanks for sending your thoughts through.  I'm going to do much the same as you I think.

How did you select your graphics card?  I'm just trying to decide if I do need to go the quadro card, and actually what my best bang for buck performance wise will be.

Anyone elses thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Andrew

I built a system very similar to yours a few months ago. Used the first 5 items on your list, as well as the Coolermaster CPU cooler. 32GB of GSkill DDR4 Ram, EVGA Nvidia 650 graphics card. I also added a 500GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD drive for my image-storing working drive. Reused some of my existing HDD and optical drives for longer term storage etc., rather than buying new ones such as those on your list. The cost for the new parts was about $1600 U.S., and I put them together myself. I'm very happy with this system. A quite noticeable improvement in speed; LR and PS move along lickety-split now.
Architectural Photographer
http://www.andrewlatreille.com

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2016, 08:23:37 am »

I built my current work station last summer and put in an NVIDIA GTX 960 GPU and it works just fine with LR.  I rarely use PS these days so systems configured to optimize it are less important.  I tend to go to the Puget Systems website and see what hardware they are using in the systems they build for customers.

Arlen

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2016, 11:46:41 am »

Andrew, I picked the Nvidia GTX 960 after reviewing recommendations at several websites, and noticing that Puget Systems uses that model in their standard system designed for Photoshop use (https://www.pugetsystems.com/recommended/Recommended-Systems-for-Adobe-Photoshop-139/Buy_150). My LR and Photoshop usage is pretty standard stuff, so I saw no reason to think it would be insufficient for my needs. And it has been perfectly satisfactory so far, in both applications.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2016, 12:12:06 pm »

Andrew, I picked the Nvidia GTX 960 after reviewing recommendations at several websites, and noticing that Puget Systems uses that model in their standard system designed for Photoshop use (https://www.pugetsystems.com/recommended/Recommended-Systems-for-Adobe-Photoshop-139/Buy_150). My LR and Photoshop usage is pretty standard stuff, so I saw no reason to think it would be insufficient for my needs. And it has been perfectly satisfactory so far, in both applications.

Hi,

It's not on the list for Capture One, although that list is several months old. The GTX 970 and 980 are on the list, although for 10-bit/channel a Quadro is required.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up