Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: captureone 8.3 apply crop not working  (Read 4474 times)

Erick Boileau

• http://
captureone 8.3 apply crop not working
« on: March 17, 2016, 01:13:33 pm »

Hi

I am trying to crop an image (dng) in captureone 8.3  on OSX , I select the double arrow and click apply but nothing change
how can I really crop a photo like in Lightroom?

Thanks
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 01:16:39 pm by Erick Boileau »

Paul Steunebrink

• Image Alchemist
Re: captureone 8.3 apply crop not working
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 03:58:12 pm »

Note sure what you mean with the double arrow. Any (all) double arrow symbol I know do not relate to cropping.

Please select the crop tool from the cursor tool section in the middle of the toolbar. Or select it from your keyboard (press 'c') or from the Crop tool.

Erick Boileau

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 03:12:05 am »

1) click on double arrow

2) Apply

3) nothing happen

cropping should be a very very basic feature

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 04:27:48 am »

1) click on double arrow

2) Apply

3) nothing happen

cropping should be a very very basic feature

You don't have to apply a crop Eric.  Simply crop!

The crop is shown if the crop cursor tool is selected.
David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 04:36:16 am »

Hi

I am trying to crop an image (dng) in captureone 8.3  on OSX , I select the double arrow and click apply but nothing change
how can I really crop a photo like in Lightroom?

Thanks

Hi Erick,

Not exactly sure what you want to do, but the double arrow is used to copy (in this case) the crop panel settings to another image/variant that you have already selected at the same time. So you select multiple images, click on the primary variant with the crop, then click the double arrow and you get the possibility to apply that same crop to the other selected variants or images.

You can alternatively also copy all Adjustment settings of the primary variant to the Adjustments clipboard, and there select which ones you want to paste to other images, but that requires a different procedure.

EDIT: And as David said, you do not have to 'apply' a crop to a single image, just crop and that's it, done. Move to another tool than the crop tool to see the image without cropping controls.

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 04:44:05 am by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Erick Boileau

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2016, 12:23:45 am »

only one image is selected and I cannot crop it, it doesn't work
the image stays with the frame around but is never cropped
there is nowhere a Simply crop!

even enter doesn't work

capture one is one of the worst user-friendly photo software, the render is very good but the interface is terrible

anyway thanks for your help
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 12:50:36 am by Erick Boileau »

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2016, 05:31:10 am »

even enter doesn't work
It DOES work, RTFM.

When the crop tool is selected you can see the full image area and that which will be cropped, as per your screen shots. Move to a different tool and the crop is applied.
Simple really, if a little different to some other image editors.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2016, 06:04:19 am »

Hi Erick,

As long as the crop tool is selected at the top of the screen (see attachment), or the same symbol in the Crop tool panel, you will (need to) see the crop marks, but the image is already cropped. This is so you can reposition the crop markers as soon as the Crop tool is (re)selected (keyboard shortcut C). As soon as you select another tool than the crop tool, e.g. the pan or hand tool (keyboard shortcut H) then only the cropped region will be shown, or when you export the image, then only the cropped region will be exported, unless you (temporarily) disable it there with a checkbox.

even enter doesn't work

I don't see why you'd want to press enter, since there is no need to confirm a selection. Just select a crop region and you're done. In Capture One it is considered a waste of time having to reconfirm what you have already selected. In other applications it may be necessary, but not in Capture One.

capture one is one of the worst user-friendly photo software, the render is very good but the interface is terrible

Have you read any of the help files, or are you trying to replicate the sometimes needlessly complicated way it is done in other applications? Just spend a minute or two in reading the instructions, and you'll see it's simpler (but also more powerful) than you may think. When you rotate the image (just hover the mouse outside a cropped corner), the crop will automatically readjust, a real timesaver. And you can also crop larger than the image, it takes nothing more than allowing it with a checkbox.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Erick Boileau

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2016, 07:52:49 am »

Go it ! but it is 100% not intuitive at all

In Capture One it is considered a waste of time having to reconfirm
it's a waste of time to try to invent something else when on all other  softwares it doesn't work like that

Have you read any of the help files, or are you trying to replicate the sometimes needlessly complicated way it is done in other applications?
In other applications Photoshop Lightroom and even the wonderful new Affinity photo there is no needs for help file for a simple crop,  they are very simple because they are all working in the same way, when I first tried Affinity photo I could find all at once

the interface of CaptureOne is definitively  terrible

thanks for your help !
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 08:02:23 am by Erick Boileau »

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2016, 06:08:54 am »

Go it ! but it is 100% not intuitive at all
it's a waste of time to try to invent something else when on all other  softwares it doesn't work like that

In other applications Photoshop Lightroom and even the wonderful new Affinity photo there is no needs for help file for a simple crop,  they are very simple because they are all working in the same way, when I first tried Affinity photo I could find all at once

the interface of CaptureOne is definitively  terrible

thanks for your help !

We simply removed a step...  i.e No need to confirm a crop.  You draw it.. its there.  That seems pretty simply to me?

Having to confirm thousands of crops can be precious minutes / hours in high volume shoots which Capture One is often used for.

David

David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager
Pages: [1]   Go Up