Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: XF Feature Update 2 (including focus stacking), C1 9.1, New Blue Ring Lenses  (Read 6490 times)

Bo Dez

IMO, the lens line is still wanting. Old lenses with a new cosmetic design, whoop-de-doo.

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com

Just to note I used it quite a lot today with over 600 images.

The mirror stays up as it should be.  No slapping around. Delay works as well. You just need to have a delay in the camera before you start.

Can't comment on the AF as I prefer live view.

Also one user says the  near and far points are not accurately repositioned during the sequence.  Other issues, the stack must be started by pushing the rear button, (cannot be triggered with a delay), the mirror slaps up and down between every shot. 

Christopher Hauser
ch@chauser.eu
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

Christopher

Which lenses are wanting ? I agree that the price range for the Blue Ring isn't really needed. Nothing changed. Quality control is still as bad as always. Sample variation is way to high......

However, when you find a good copy I would guess all LS lenses work great on the IQ3 100

Christopher Hauser
ch@chauser.eu
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

razrblck

• Chill
    • Instagram

So blue ring isn't a guarantee of good samples?
Instagram (updated often)

Christopher

I don't know. I think when we are talking about the 35 all copies are really good. For the rest. Let's say I cannot comment in general.

I think sample variation is going down. But I'm not convinced yet that is is gone.

When again sample variation before was huge.

However, I have seen one 80Ls BR and my own 150Ls BR which are good but I have seen better copies. I will have to talk in more detail with my dealer to check whether the 150 is really all that can be.

Christopher Hauser
ch@chauser.eu
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com

I thought being able to keep the mirror locked up for a sequence of shots was going to be an advantage of the XF over the DF+.
With the focus stack tool, you can keep the mirror locked up, but it doesn’t do it automatically.  After setting focus points before triggering the sequence you can move back to the main capture screen and lock the mirror up, then move back to the FS screen and trigger the sequence.  Mirror stays up entire time.

I hope a future improvement on the tool would just keep the mirror up automatically, since there isn’t a reason not to while shooting the sequence. (and in the case of a LS lens, perhaps the focal plane shutter can just be opened and left open through the sequence).

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com

Just to note I used it quite a lot today with over 600 images.

The mirror stays up as it should be.  No slapping around. Delay works as well. You just need to have a delay in the camera before you start.

Can't comment on the AF as I prefer live view.

Christopher Hauser
ch@chauser.eu
Interesting.  tried this multiple times with mirror up and down each time,  but haven’t tried  since the stealth update released one day later.  Also time delay isn’t honored, slight delay, but again tried this on the first day, didn’t repeat it after the stealth update.  I’ll try it again to see if the behavior is different.

As far as Live View, if you have a CMOS back yes.  But thousands of shooters out there with phase backs on XF where live view ins’t an option, and in the field with landscape work, sometimes time pressures make using AF preferable over Live View.

I think as it stands it’s a great tool for studio shooters, especially those needing to do a ton of shots get get sharp images.  Maybe not as useful for other types, especially those on CCD backs.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up