Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Metabones Adapters and Adapters in General  (Read 5774 times)

nwilliams770

Metabones Adapters and Adapters in General
« on: March 16, 2016, 06:23:39 pm »

Hello All,

I'm hoping to get some insight from someone with first-hand experience using a lens adapter. Currently own a Contax G kit but after graduating, I need to start a digital system of my own. Used a Canon 5d mk ii while a student but I've read a lot of positive reviews about the Sony systems and the fact that I could use my adorned Contax lenses sounds like a double-win to me. Cost is a factor for me as well so purchasing a Sony body and lens converter sounded great as opposed to an entirely new system.

Has anyone used an adapter on a Sony and how was the experience? Any insight, advice, cheers or jeers would be greatly appreciated!  ;D

Tony Jay

Re: Metabones Adapters and Adapters in General
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 06:54:24 pm »

A lot of research is required to answer your question.

I use a Sony A7R and its mark II.
Most of the lenses that I use with these cameras are Canon and to that end I have a Metabones adaptor.
The optics of the lenses are good and the adaptor does not affect this in the slightest.
The main issue is that of focus - all these lenses have autofocus capability, and depending on the lens autofocus either works really, sort of, or not at all.
If one adds in teleconverters the situation becomes even more muddy.

In addition Metabones do frequently update the firmware for their adaptors, and, in fact, the capability of the adaptor that I use has improved markedly over the last six months.

With regard to the lenses that you have, Metabones obviously have an adaptor for that line.
If the lenses are manual focus only in native configuration then almost any adaptor will do fine.
If the lenses have autofocus capability then a lot of careful research, on a lens by lens basis, will be required to see whether that adaptor will do the job.

As an aside, Brian Smith maintains a really good website related to all things Sony (this includes a lot of info about different adaptors from many different manufacturers) and so you could do worse that start your research there.
Sony's own website as well as the Metabones site are obviously good bets too.

Tony Jay

NancyP

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 07:50:16 pm »

I use adapters for old film-era lenses on my 6D. The problem for the old manual focus, manual aperture lenses is no auto-stopdown, so you have to view at f/8 or whatever. My favorite one has "preset aperture", one click-set ring to set the limiter for the aperture, a free-spinning ring that actually moves the aperture. I had a bunch of old lenses just sitting around, and have had fun. Most 35mm and greater AI/AI-S Nikkors and M42 lenses work fine for the 5D series.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2016, 03:20:45 am »

Hi,

I am using the Sony A7rII with Canon lenses and the Metabones IV. Works great, but no speed wonder with Canon lenses.

Best regards
Erik

Hello All,

I'm hoping to get some insight from someone with first-hand experience using a lens adapter. Currently own a Contax G kit but after graduating, I need to start a digital system of my own. Used a Canon 5d mk ii while a student but I've read a lot of positive reviews about the Sony systems and the fact that I could use my adorned Contax lenses sounds like a double-win to me. Cost is a factor for me as well so purchasing a Sony body and lens converter sounded great as opposed to an entirely new system.

Has anyone used an adapter on a Sony and how was the experience? Any insight, advice, cheers or jeers would be greatly appreciated!  ;D
Erik Kaffehr

DaveCurtis

• http://www.magiclight.co.nz
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2016, 03:27:14 pm »

Im also using metabones with Canon lenses. AF is good/acceptable but not in the same league as my 5D3.

stevesanacore

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2016, 07:44:27 am »

Hello All,

Big differences between shooting a DSLR like a Canon 5D and the Sony mirrorless. I use both and they both have their virtues depending on what you will be shooting. Before worrying about adapters, you may want to rent a few and see how you like using them. Lens adapters are a pain but well worth it if you love how the Sony handles with your Contax lenses. If you have quite a few Contax lenses you really love and they perform well enough for the Sony's demanding sensor, then it may be a great solution for you.
We don't know what we don't know.

TonyVentourisPhotography

• Unlocking Olympus
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2016, 09:58:22 am »

I would definitely spend the money on renting a setup first.  I adapt lenses to both my canons and to my Olympus cameras.  With the metabones adapters, the quality is definitely there.  It's also nice having autofocus and control of aperture.  Autofocus speed is NOT there however.  Or at least not to the level of system lenses within the manufacturer.  Its not bad...but it is certainly way slower than native lenses.  Depending on what you shoot, this may not even been an issue.  You really need to try it and see if it works for you.
Tony
Unlockingolympus.com (ebooks & blog on getting the most from your OMD & Pen)
tonyventourisphotography.com (Commercial Photography)

Jens Peermann

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2016, 08:11:38 am »

I'm not sure if Metabones makes an adapter for Contax lenses. You may have to look at Fotodiox for one that works with the Contax lenses.

I have both, the Metabones IV and the Fotodiox for Canon Mount. I bought the Metabones first, but since I mostly use MF Zeiss lenses (and even use my AF Canon lenses in MF mode only), I eventually bought the Fotodiox for about a quarter of what the Metabones costs. The Fotodiox seems to be machined more precisely and the whole assembly feels more solid than it does with the Metabones. The latter now resides permanently on my 400/5.6 L, the only lens I use in AF mode on the A7II.

nwilliams770

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2016, 03:49:31 pm »

Hi all,

Thanks for all the very helpful replies, really appreciate it  ;D! Next step is heading to Samy's to rent some systems to try out, thanks again everyone

Jens Peermann

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2016, 11:46:18 pm »

After working with the Fotodiox adapter for Canon EF to Sony FE mount some more I cannot recommend it anymore. I found flares and blurs of light near the corners in images shot against the light, as well as images with a large dynamic range.
Alerted by this I was able to recreate these blurs and flares with a strong light source when using the Fotodiox adapter with various lenses. Repeating the same procedure with the Metabones adapter and the same lenses did not produce any irregularities.
I disassembled the Fotodiox and applied non-reflective black paint to all interior surfaces that could cause a reflection. That didn't solve the problem. A close comparison of both adaptors showed that the Metabones is differently shaped on the end that slightly intrudes into the camera when the adapter in mounted; it "reaches" into the camera a little more. This allows the conclusion that the problem is a design flaw on the Fotodiox and cannot be corrected by the user.
So I will use the Metabones as my main adapter again and demote the Fotodiox to a backup because of its limited usability.

EinstStein

Check the mismatch of voltage between the camera and the lens system.
Be aware that Contax G and Contax N are 6V system while Sony Alpha is 7.4v. There is potential problems due to this mismatch. I say potential because it can be solved through the lens/body adapter. I doubt any adapter has solved this problem yet, but do not have enough investiagtion.

The potential problem is that the lens included an electronic control components, (not just the motor),  which is powered by the body through the lens adapter. The Sony body has a 7.4 power output to the adapter, and all the outputs signals from the body is likely to be between 0~7.4v. But the lens electronic would not like that high voltage. It is expecting 6v only. Any higher voltage than 6v is unwelcome stress and aging effect. the over 20% over drive (7.4 vs. 6v) is seriously bad.

This problem is not unsolvable, for example, if the lens adapter contains a built-in voltage converter to step down the 7.4v to 6v for any output signals and the power supply, the problem is solved.
I'd bet any Sony Alpha to Contax G adapter is designed with this. Most likely the lens adapter is fully 7.4v.

How bad would it be? Well, I have damaged a Contax N 24-85mm zoom lens, it is completely dead after 6 months.

I believe one of the adapter company who makes widest used Contax G/Sony Alpha adapter is closely watching this forum. This company recently also anounced a Leica M to Alpha AF adapter. Watch any response from them to this thread. If they do not show up, the chances are their lens adapter has not address this issue yet. If so I'd bet none of the Contax G len adapter has address either.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 09:52:02 pm by EinstStein »

Paul Roark

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2016, 11:46:17 am »

I was a Canon user for years and have some very nice Canon glass.  I moved through Leica M and now am a Sony a7r2 user.  But, I have to say, I just have not been happy with any of the adapters aside from the Voigtlander VM-E that connects Leica M to the Sony.  The AF of the Metabones (latest) on the Sony makes for a very second rate AF system.  The Leica M telephotos or Tri-Elmar 16-18-21 (WATE) on the VM-E, which allows correct infinity focus stop adjustment, are the only combinations I use in addition to my lenses made for the Sony. 

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com

melnick

• Melnick Studios Inc.
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2016, 11:38:42 pm »

My experience with the a7S & a7R with the Contax G lenses (21, 28, 35, 45, 90) was very bitter-sweet. I have the Techart TA-GA3 adapter. In terms of image quality, both cameras gave exceptional results except the a7R had smearing/colour-fringing with the 21 & 28 lenses. The caveat is with the focus. Both cameras had trouble auto-focusing and focusing was impossible at all (even manually) in video mode. Remember that these adapted lenses don't automatically stop open for accurate focusing like native lenses.

I have since sold my a7R and I'm now selling my a7S. My newly purchased a7Rii (from B&H) is waiting for me in Arizona. I'll be there next week with the Contax G lenses & Techart TA-GA3 adapter to do some landscape trials (along with my Fuji GX617 & Hasselblad). I'm going to compare the a7Rii & Contax G results with the medium format 6x6 & 6x17 4000dpi scans from my drum scanner and I'll probably print some images on my 44"/60" large format printers to compare as well - at least some test strips. If I find any issues with the a7Rii I may send it in to Kolarivision for a mod depending on how I feel about the results.

I also have some 1960's - 1990's Leica, Canon FD & Nikon lenses that I plan on adapting to the a7Rii. The beauty is that these lenses, focal length for focal length, are much smaller than their DSLR cousins. I can travel with many more lenses/systems than I could otherwise. For instance I plan on packing my Hasselblad, Fuji GX617 & digital camera in one carry on. Good luck squeezing a DSLR in there with it's bulky lenses. In this regard the a7 series with Contax G lenses (or leica etc...) gives you great bang for the buck!

Please note that I am mainly a corporate (events, product, promo) / family event photographer/videographer and I would never use the a7R/S 1st Gen cameras for any of my pro assignments except for a few low-light gigs (a7S) and of course I used the a7S for my pro video shoots (interviews mainly) but even then I used Canon/Sigma-for-canon glass or manual glass like Hasselblad primes, not the finicky Contax G glass. We will see how I feel about the a7Rii - I have a good feeling about it  ;)

We're caught-up now in a very thrilling chapter of camera development whether it's megapixels, iso or convenience. It's almost as though the makers of cameras are finally letting go and throwing their best technology at us but the most important thing, and I know this from experience, is not to get caught up in the "equipment frenzy" :o Just go out and get some great shots & have fun with what you have! And make sure you're shooting more than researching gear  :-[

RobertJ

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2016, 08:37:49 pm »

Has anyone had any failures with a Metabones adapter and Canon lenses on a Sony body?

When I say failure, I don't mean slow AF, or autofocus in general.  I just mean, electronic communication being lost, camera body locking up, etc?

I'm looking at an A7R2, but with all Canon EF mount lenses (Zeiss Otus, Milvus, and Canon 35mm 1.4LII, manual focusing only).  I don't need AF, I just need the stuff to work.  I prefer electronic aperture over a Nikon F mount version with the aperture rings. 

All Canon-mount lenses with a Sony and Metabones... Is this a dumb idea?

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2016, 01:19:23 am »

Hi,

I have Canon lenses with Metabones IVT. The first adapter I had failed after a few weeks, made frequently no contact with the camera. The replacement worked fine for nine months, but now I see some issues again. But, it helps to just reseat the lens.

I always carry an extra adapter, a cheaper one called Wiltrox.

Best regards
Erik

Has anyone had any failures with a Metabones adapter and Canon lenses on a Sony body?

When I say failure, I don't mean slow AF, or autofocus in general.  I just mean, electronic communication being lost, camera body locking up, etc?

I'm looking at an A7R2, but with all Canon EF mount lenses (Zeiss Otus, Milvus, and Canon 35mm 1.4LII, manual focusing only).  I don't need AF, I just need the stuff to work.  I prefer electronic aperture over a Nikon F mount version with the aperture rings. 

All Canon-mount lenses with a Sony and Metabones... Is this a dumb idea?
Erik Kaffehr

RobertJ

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2016, 05:08:07 pm »

Thanks Erik.

I'm using the new Canon 35mm 1.4L II on the A7R2 and I'm thrilled with the results.  I have had no issues with the Metabones electronic adapter.  Of course, I have never even attempted AF.  Manually focusing is so enjoyable with this camera, and the lens is amazing.  I bought the Sony to manually focus, not to try AF with lenses that aren't designed for the camera.

Even though I've had great results, I have decided that the rest of my lenses (Otus and Milvus), will be Nikon F mount with the aperture rings (instead of EF mount), and I will be using the non-electronic Nikon F Metabones adapter. 

Although I've had no problems with the electronic adapter and the Canon 35LII, I don't want to take any chances on other lenses, and have to rely on the electronics of an adapter just to use all my lenses.  Plus Nikon F will work on Nikon cameras, and on Canon with adapter. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up