Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A different kind of canvas - Kernewek/Arista Americana fabrics  (Read 4191 times)

shadowblade

An interesting spinoff from another thread.

Have you done much with the Kernewek/Arista Americana fabrics? I've had the chance to see a few prints made on them, but haven't been able to print on them myself. They're not like a normal canvas - up close, you see an even mesh of fibres, not a coating of gunk that can crack and peel off. Instead, the receptive layer is soaked directly into the canvas fibres and can't delaminate, and your tests seem to indicate they have excellent lightfastness - even better than Lyve. Would like to use it, but, at the moment, I don't have a functioning printer...

This question probably deserves another thread ;)

cheers,
Mark
http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com

MHMG

Re: A different kind of canvas - Kernewek/Arista Americana fabrics
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 04:43:05 pm »

AFAIK, the Kernewek line of "infused" fabrics is only available in the U.S through an exclusive distributor, Freestyle Photographic

I don't know how it is distributed in Europe, but for those interested I'd try contacting Kernow Coatings directly Kernowcoatings.com

Freestyle renamed the Kernewek line of Fine Fabrics as the "Arista Americana Collection", but these infused fabrics were tested at Aardenburg Imaging & Archives under their original product names. I have attached a screenshot of the the renaming key included in each of the Aardenburg test reports. Those lightfastness test reports can be easily found by filtering the "paper/media" column for "Kernow" in the AaI&A light fade database.

These media are aqueous inkjet printable fabrics that use a special process to infuse the ink receptor chemistry into the fabric rather than simply overcoat it on top like most canvas and other inkjet printable fabrics are made. The inventor of the process, John Edmunds, and I became good friends over the years. John was a really good guy and very passionate about his scientific research and inventions, so we formed an immediate bond of friendship. Sadly, John passed away a few years ago from an aggressive cancer that did not respond to modern day treatments, but from the very start of his inkjet printable fabric project he was a strong advocate for Aardenburg Imaging's image permanence research and innovative test methods. He advocated strongly with his company's technology licensee, Kernow Coatings, to provide independent light fade test data on these fabrics. Kernow Coatings, much to its credit, obliged.  It was a unique fee-for-service testing contract that has never been repeated by any other vendors.  Aardenburg requires full public disclosure of all test results, good or bad, for any commercially available products we test. Most companies will absolutely not abide by those terms, electing to contract to independent labs where any disappointing test results that don't meet marketing expectations will be held strictly confidential.  Essentially and understandably, companies want to accentuate the positive and eliminate the negative. Under the right circumstances, Aardenburg Imaging will perform proprietary and confidential testing for prototype materials but again, not for commercially available products, and if the prototype materials do eventually end up on the market, Aardenburg considers those products totally fair game to retest as a public service. So, bad results on commercially available products can never be swept under the rug for very long if Aardenburg is doing the testing.  Hence, most manufacturers will not choose Aardenburg to perform this type of testing, because they can't control the outcome. The testing of the Kernewek fabric line presented a unique situation due to John Edmunds faith in his technology and his faith in Aardenburg Imaging.  I doubt the stars will ever align quite like that again.

I developed a personal liking for the St Ive's full cotton canvas fabric (now branded Arista "Monument Valley" by Freestyle Photographic), but each one of these fabrics in the Kernewek line have distinctive weights, textures, and other properties, so I would encourage anyone interested to acquire some samples. The handling properties of these fabrics is top notch. Although I don't promote my custom printmaking services on my website, I have done so for select clients in the past, not so much lately.  When I was testing these fabrics, I had an important client who also took a special liking to the St Ives fabric when he saw some images I had printed on it.  I did not perform any finishing treatments for this artist. He handled all his own needs for additional coatings, stretching, and mounting, and he always told me how easy it was to work with.  The infused fabrics can be aggressively stretched, hand or spray coated, and the are quite free of many of the cracking problems artists face with various inkjet canvas products now on the market. The light fade resistance is as good as it gets with the ink sets I tested, and I would not expect that to change with any of the newer ink sets when comparing to other inkjet printable canvas or fabric options. The only downside to these infused fabrics is that the Dmax and color gamut, although very good and competitive with many other fabric media, is not the very highest that can be obtained on other roughly comparable media (although none of those media have the natural weave appearance of these infused fabrics). That said, you do have to choose and prepare image files for these infused fabrics carefully to get great image quality, but with the right image the results are very special and quite unique.  Also, I have not revisited the Dmax issues on these fabrics with any of the newest ink set from Canon and Epson that are showing increased Dmax capabilities. There could be some real improvements with the newest ink sets. I just don't know because I haven't retested with the latest ink sets.

To this day, I feel strongly that had a major player like Epson, Canson, or Hahnemulhe picked up this line of fabrics from Kernow Coatings for branding under private label, many folks would be well aware of them by now.  Regrettably, distribution of these infused media has been very very limited, and the printmaking community by and large simply does not know they even exist.

cheers,
Mark
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 05:52:49 pm by MHMG »

shadowblade

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 04:15:04 am »

Very interesting to know.

I became very interested in the product when I first heard about the 'infusion' process, of soaking the receptive 'coating' (which is no longer really a coating) into the fibres of the canvas rather than applying it as a coating on top of a thick layer of gunk. It seemed to have the potential to solve the cracking/peeling/delamination problem that afflicts canvas paintings as they age, and which has the potential to affect inkjet canvasses too (although likely to a lesser degree, given the greater flexibility and lower thickness of the coating). In effect, it's more like a tapestry or screen-printed fabric (albeit with much less fugitive inks) than a canvas painting, with pigment colouring the fibres themselves rather than a layer of overlying primer. It only got better when I saw the test results, showing that, as well as being physically durable, it's also the most lightfast of any canvas tested.

I can certainly see the 400gsm (i.e. as heavy as mid-weight denim) St Ives/Monument Valley, printed with HP Vivera inks and coated (or soaked) in Timeless, lasting centuries. The Newlyn/Yosemite, with its half-Panama weave, also seems nice, but the 260gsm canvas probably isn't as strong as the 400gsm.

How did you find the Dmax and colour saturation? Certainly the L*min is in the same ballpark as many other matte canvasses, and, like all canvasses (none of which have a particularly impressive Dmax uncoated) coating with Timeless or another varnish should drastically improve the Dmax and gamut - the glossier, the darker and more saturated.

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 11:28:05 am »

I can certainly see the 400gsm (i.e. as heavy as mid-weight denim) St Ives/Monument Valley, printed with HP Vivera inks and coated (or soaked) in Timeless, lasting centuries. The Newlyn/Yosemite, with its half-Panama weave, also seems nice, but the 260gsm canvas probably isn't as strong as the 400gsm.

Shadowblade,

Do you have any samples of work printed on Kernewek that you could take some close-up images of? 

It would be very interesting to see the difference between that and typical canvas.

By the way, I like your idea of "soaking" the canvas in timeless.  Wonder how that would work?

Mark

Edit for soaking question
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 11:31:58 am by Mark Lindquist »
Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

shadowblade

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 11:31:57 am »

Shadowblade,

Do you have any samples of work printed on Kernewek that you could take some close-up images of? 

It would be very interesting to see the difference between that and typical canvas.

Mark

I don't have any myself - the ones I saw were someone else's prints. Never got a chance to print with it before my printer died.

Fortunately, the test reports on Aardenburg contain close-up shots of each of the canvasses, so you can see their texture. It's quite different from a typical canvas - a typical inkjet canvas (or painter's canvas) looks like fabric covered with a thick layer of white muck, whereas these ones just look like cloth. They seem to hold detail very well, too.

Mark Lindquist

• LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2016, 11:32:58 am »

Yeah, gesso can be pretty mucky at times.
Mark Lindquist
Lindquist Studios.com

Mark Lindquist

• LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2016, 11:37:32 am »

I went to the freestyle photo graphics website and absolutely ALL of the Arista Americana products are on clearance sale.

Wonder what that means?

UPDATE:

I just called Freestyle, and bad news is that the product has been discontinued.  They said they are finished with it.

Too bad.  Sounded like a great thing.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 11:43:07 am by Mark Lindquist »
Mark Lindquist
Lindquist Studios.com

Paul Roark

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2016, 11:53:23 am »

The "infused" technology was an interesting idea, but on the paper I tested the dmax was less than Arches Hot Press watercolor paper.  I did not think there was a market for it.

I'm using the Epson Matte Canvas Natural now for very large prints and definitely like the dmax I'm getting with my B&W printing. 

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com

shadowblade

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2016, 04:49:40 pm »

Very disappointing to hear that it's been discontinued. Seems that, these days, everything is about flash and immediate impact, with no thought for longevity (as long as it lasts the duration of the advertising campaign). This was quite different stuff from the infused papers (e.g. Hawk Mountain's version).

It wasn't just being used for photos - it seemed to be quite popular for textile arts, too, to combine printing with textile work.

I guess it's back to Lyve, then, since it's probably the best stuff out there. Saturated with Timeless, it becomes a single, thick conglomerate of gunk-covered canvas with no real discernible ink receptive layer anyway, which should last a long time.

MHMG

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2016, 06:03:01 pm »

The "infused" technology was an interesting idea, but on the paper I tested the dmax was less than Arches Hot Press watercolor paper.  I did not think there was a market for it.

I'm using the Epson Matte Canvas Natural now for very large prints and definitely like the dmax I'm getting with my B&W printing. 

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com

I agree that the infused paper did not distinguish itself all that much from other fine art inkjet papers, even if Dmax had been right up there with the best of the competitive fine art papers. There are indeed some technical aspects of paper manufacturing that account for this fact.  However, the infused fabrics are/were quite different in this respect. I can put Epson Matte Canvas along side numerous other matte inkjet canvas products from all the major players, and most people would be hard pressed to spot any significant differences. Many look like vinyl placemats if I was to be somewhat cynical about it... nothing I'd care much to use for my personal work.  However, put a swatch of Kernewek St Ives in the same group and even a rank novice who's never done any inkjet printing will be able to pick it out of the pack as having aesthetically very different properties.

I personally like to discover and to use media with a distinctive appearance, something with at the very least a subtle but real difference in appearance from the mainstream.  They are hard to find because there are so many "me-too" products on the market these days, owing in part to a lot of private labeling of exactly the same source material. It's refreshing when a manufacturer steps up and offers something very distinctive, but it's not all that common nowadays. The inkjet media market, IMHO, is saturated with generically similar products.  For example, consider Epson's new Legacy line of media.  How many forum threads are we seeing already where many advanced printmakers are trying to decide if these new products differ in any appreciable way from already existing Canson media?  Clearly, if there are indeed any real differences, it's not jumping out at anyone so far, which means the success of Epson's new line of media is going to largely be driven by price point and the convenience factor that high quality canned profiles and logical media settings will exist in Epson's printer drivers for those media, nothing more nothing less.

I have an inquiry in right now with contacts at Kernow Coatings. I hope they will tell me whether this novel line of infused media has been discontinued in manufacturing for good, or whether it might be resurrected if the right distributor/reseller steps up to market it. I will let you know when and if I hear any news.

best,
Mark
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 06:22:14 pm by MHMG »

Paul Roark

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2016, 10:49:02 pm »

... inkjet canvas products ... Many look like vinyl placemats ...

I concur.  If the infused fabric product you're describing is going to be around for a while, I'll definitely get a sample and test it. 

BTW Mark, did you ever test or get any information relating to the Epson Matte Canvas Natural?  (The "Natural" is not at all like the Matte Canvas without that designation.)  The issue I'm most curious about is the stability of the very "bright" (negative Lab B) coating.  I have not yet gotten around to doing my own fade tests of it.

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com

shadowblade

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2016, 12:09:54 am »

Would have to agree on the 'genericness' of many different inkjet products. Visually, there isn't much to distinguish one pearl paper from another, or one baryta from another, or one smooth matte paper or canvas form another. If you pick one of each and profile for that, you've got most of your bases covered. There's probably much more variety in textured matte papers, but those don't tend to lend themselves to all photos. The main distinguishing features are the ones not apparent on visual inspection of unprinted paper - gamut and Dmax, susceptibility to cracking in canvas, fragility of the inkjet coating and image permanence. So you just pick the one with the best performance in the characteristics you value most.

I've been wondering what sort of result you'd get if you took a heavy cotton fabric and simply soaked it in Breathing Colour's inkjet coating (without applying it as a coating and without any primer). Presumably, you'd end up with a canvas that could soak up a very heavy ink load. You can do that at the moment with the various 'print on anything' inkjet coatings available, but they all seem to be pretty low-end coatings designed for novelty, without great longevity or gamut; I suspect using a high-end inkjet receptive substance would give you much better performance.

shadowblade

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2016, 08:15:10 am »

This stuff looks to be an alternative if the Kernewek fabrics are no longer available. I'd be interested in its longevity, though.

http://explosionofcolors.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=3_2
Pages: [1]   Go Up