Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad CFV - Picture Problems  (Read 2790 times)

tweephol

Hasselblad CFV - Picture Problems
« on: March 16, 2016, 05:02:14 am »

Dear Members,

I'm wondering if any of you has had this issue with their CFV Digital Back (please see attached photos).

Camera Setting on CFV: 500
Shutter Speed: 1/30 or faster; so I have not changed the default 1/8 on the CFV
*I do not have this issue if I'm using the CW Winder, but only have this problem when I'm manually winding*

I get this problem when I shoot about 10 photos, and then I have a series of these unusable photos.

Appreciate any advice.

torger

Re: Hasselblad CFV - Picture Problems
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 07:25:58 am »

Looks like a classic sync error, that is sensor readout is mismatched with the shutter. I don't know what the reason is though, hopefully some V system user can explain.

wding109

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 01:58:19 pm »

I only had this problem when I had the CFV 50 mounted on 905SWC. You need to release the shutter as fast as you can, and more importantly, you need to use the sync cable. Without the sync cable, it is quite easy to produce such images.

Joe Towner

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 03:47:44 pm »

+1 on the timing/sync - how is the back connected to the camera?  Have you 'shined' the little arm that extends back from the body and triggers the back?  Are you using a sync cable?  If you are, have you swapped it? If not, try with one, it should prevent this from happening.

If you want to laugh, the Phase V mount backs have the same temperament.  It's what you get with old bodies doing the digital stuff, but is easy to resolve.
t: @PNWMF

jng

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2016, 11:41:30 pm »

+1 on the timing/sync - how is the back connected to the camera?  Have you 'shined' the little arm that extends back from the body and triggers the back?  Are you using a sync cable?  If you are, have you swapped it? If not, try with one, it should prevent this from happening.

If you want to laugh, the Phase V mount backs have the same temperament.  It's what you get with old bodies doing the digital stuff, but is easy to resolve.

Right. I've read here and elsewhere that using a sync cable is the key to getting the Hassy backs to behave reliably.

As for sync issues with V-mount Phase backs, the mechanical arm thingie mostly but not always pre-arms the back (and there is no such arm on the SWC). I attribute this to the speed with which the shutter button is depressed and therefore the lag between arming the back and exposing the image. The workaround is to set the Phase back to zero latency.

tweephol

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2016, 03:42:05 am »

Thank you for your replies. From my understanding, as long as my shutter speed is not over 1/8 seconds - I'm not required to use a sync cable. And I've been getting this problem on shutter speed 1/30 and faster.

Funnily enough, this does not happen when I'm using the CW Winder.

I've been trying the sync cable, and with the sync cable it seems to be more reliable. Just wanted to check with other fellow users, since the cable shouldn't be required for fast shutter speeds.

Chris Livsey

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2016, 11:06:29 am »

I shoot a Phase Back on a V system, obviously I must use the sync cable, the observation that the CW winder does not show the fault points to some issue with the manual wind. I know it's the same gear but the CW has a rapid and firm action, are you winding perhaps deliberately and firm enough to fully complete the cycle?
If you watch the silver blade in action when you fire the shutter it emerges, that communicates with the back, it the returns flush to the back, on rewind it finishes the winding cycle slightly proud of the back. You should check the operation manually winding and with the CW, easily seen with a lens attached and the back off, to see if both methods match.
It is possible on manual wind to advance so that the shutter button will depress and the pin emerge without the lens shutter firing, it requires another 20 degrees of turn to complete the cycle. I think you should try another body if possible or send that one in for service the advance is a complicated system of gears and levers and may be out of adjustment but the CW forces it sufficiently to prevent the issue, at the moment.
The fault is definitely IMHO a timing one.

jamiemphoto

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2016, 01:16:54 am »

I've been getting inconsistent results with flash using my CFV-50C with a 500 C/M, even with the sync cables. My only thoughts were that perhaps my PC connectors were bad, especially after I fired my Einstein about 20 times into a flash meter to see if it wavered any (nope). And then I noticed the inconsistency even without using flash. And finally, my body jammed and I'm pretty sure it's dead. I've got a replacement on the way (faster than a repair, and I'll be able to have a backup), so I'm hoping that perhaps my bad body was ultimately at fault. Flash performance did improve greatly when I gave in and used all of the cables for every lens, and I'll continue to do so as I upgrade my kit.
Pages: [1]   Go Up