Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hang Gliding over Blacks Beach, ca 1983  (Read 1147 times)

Bob_B

• It's all about light
    • Robert Belas Photography
Hang Gliding over Blacks Beach, ca 1983
« on: March 15, 2016, 01:36:30 pm »

Just north of La Jolla Shores beach and Scripps (Oceanographic Institute) pier lies Blacks Beach, and towering above Blacks are a series of steep seaward-facing cliffs that are part of Torrey Pines mesa. In the early and mid-1980s, this mesa was the site of a glider port where daring individuals leaped off the cliff and (hopefully) soared over the beach and the Pacific Ocean buoyed by the westerly breeze and updraft.

I spent many hours in this area photographing and enjoying the view. Recently, I started a project to digitize some of the hundreds of Ektachrome and Kodachrome 35 mm slide I accumulated from those days. Here's one entitled "Hangin' Over Blacks".

Thanks for viewing and feel free to C&C.

Bob
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

James Clark

Re: Hang Gliding over Blacks Beach, ca 1983
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 04:16:41 pm »

Just north of La Jolla Shores beach and Scripps (Oceanographic Institute) pier lies Blacks Beach, and towering above Blacks are a series of steep seaward-facing cliffs that are part of Torrey Pines mesa. In the early and mid-1980s, this mesa was the site of a glider port where daring individuals leaped off the cliff and (hopefully) soared over the beach and the Pacific Ocean buoyed by the westerly breeze and updraft.

I spent many hours in this area photographing and enjoying the view. Recently, I started a project to digitize some of the hundreds of Ektachrome and Kodachrome 35 mm slide I accumulated from those days. Here's one entitled "Hangin' Over Blacks".

Thanks for viewing and feel free to C&C.

Bob

Really, though, the views from above Blacks get more interesting as you point the lens *down*  ;)

sierraman

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 05:49:45 pm »

Really, though, the views from above Blacks get more interesting as you point the lens *down*  ;)

When I was a kid my friends  and I would walk to Blacks from La Jolla. Some of the things we would see were..........well...... worth the walk.  :)

Bob_B

• It's all about light
    • Robert Belas Photography
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 06:14:37 pm »

I still find it very interesting how the sunbathers at Black's separated themselves. Family groups and bathing suits at the far south end, the au naturel crowd at the far north, with those with some degree of modesty somewhere in between.

Here are a couple more from the early 1980s. First is facing north from Scripps Pier Beach, and the second looking down and to the southwest from the bluffs above Blacks.
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up