Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sailing Sunset 1982  (Read 1074 times)

Bob_B

• It's all about light
    • Robert Belas Photography
Sailing Sunset 1982
« on: March 13, 2016, 03:47:31 pm »

Here's a stitched copy from an Ektachrome I shot and developed back in the 1980s, probably 1982. Taken off the coast of San Diego, CA. after a long sail in mid-winter (if my memory is accurate). I stitched together four separate shots taken with a Canon 7D and 100mm EF macro lens. I'm looking at this image through my rose-colored nostalgia glasses, and need some objective thoughts on my photo. Thanks for looking, and I appreciate your comments.

Bob
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

Jens Peermann

Re: Sailing Sunset 1982
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 09:26:41 am »

I like the story. "Coming home at the end of the day, being greeted by the shore birds." That may not be what you had in mind when you took that shot, but that's what it is to me and it's wonderful.

Bob_B

• It's all about light
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 09:39:32 am »

Thanks Jens. Yes, that is what I had in mind. Question for you: does the grain help or hurt (or is it neutral)? I ask because my 35mm ektachromes were pushed to an ASA/ISO of 800, hence more grain. I've been experimenting with negative clarity to reduce the grain, which helps, but wonder if I should just leave it as is?

Best,

Bob
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

Jens Peermann

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 10:16:46 am »

The grain does not hurt at all, IMO. I see this as a fine art photograph, which means the message and feeling it conveys are more important than technical perfection. Photography for advertising, particularly product photography, need that perfection and it is great to have the tools for it. But we should not be intimidated by them and feel obliged to use them to the max when creating images for the soul.

I always try to be aware of what photography was intended to be, a technology to replace painting. That, of course, will never happen. But just as painting has evolved from being as accurate as possible to more liberal styles, including abstract, so will photography evolve to include styles that are more conceptual instead of technical perfect recordings.

Arlen

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 10:54:59 am »

The more times that I've looked at it, the more I like it, Bob. And I agree with Jens that the grain appears appropriate here.

Bob_B

• It's all about light
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 01:39:12 pm »

Thanks Arlen.

@Jens. It does me good to hear about "images for the soul". I appreciate that. Thanks.

Bob
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up