Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dell UP3216Q Monitor and Xrite i1 Display Pro which is better software?  (Read 2492 times)

stockjock

I just purchased a new computer and decided to upgrade to the Dell UP3216Q Widescreen LED Backlit UltraSharp LCD Monitor. One of the features that motivated me to buy that monitor was the Dell UltraSharp Color Calibration Solution software which is supposed to work in conjunction with the Xrite i1 Display Pro to provide an optimal calibration of the display.  But now I am wondering if I should just use the Xrite i1 Display Pro and its software to do the calibration.  All of my past experience is with the Spyder 4.

Does anybody have any experience with this?  Is there a better forum on here to post this question?  Or a better site to ask it?

Pictus

• Retouching

The Dell UltraSharp Color Calibration Solution it is the only program able to
calibrate the monitor hardware LUT(12/14 bits?) http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/t/19539702
any other solution and the calibration will be at the GPU LUT 8-bits.

But maybe there is a bug with the UP3216Q http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/t/19666103

One Frame at a Time

I was wondering the same thing about my Benq 2700.  The included software is supposed to write a 14 bit profile into the monitor itself.  But it also allows an option to write the profile system wide - into the Windows color management folder as an icm monitor profile I'm guessing

Which on it's own is kind of confusing - can win 7 deal with a 14 bit profile?  Plus you get the option of making the profile v2 or v4.....A v4 profile from the Xrite sw didn't play nice in win 7.  The manual isn't clear about anything regarding the system wide setting, or why it's an option.  I kind of thought the Color Pallet sw would have reset the system graphics card lut and then calibrated the panel's internal lut.  That doesn't seem the case?  Can anyone shed some light on how these panels with internal luts work?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 03:48:42 am by One Frame at a Time »

howardm

If it's like most of the others, the Benq software will write to the monitor *AND* create what is essentially a 'dummy' profile so that the computer's color management system has *something* to work with (even if that profile is totally linear)

Doug Gray

If it's like most of the others, the Benq software will write to the monitor *AND* create what is essentially a 'dummy' profile so that the computer's color management system has *something* to work with (even if that profile is totally linear)
This is what EIZO's ColorNavigator does as well. Creates a simple matrix based profile for each target and sets the LUTs in the monitor to deal with non-linearities. One exception is that it rounds off the front of the gamma curves to set the black point based on the user black point settings.
Pages: [1]   Go Up