Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Monopod for Medium Format  (Read 2137 times)

Christoph B.

Monopod for Medium Format
« on: March 11, 2016, 10:22:50 am »

Hi there!

I was wondering if anyone has a good suggestion for a monopod for medium format cameras (6x4.5 - 6x7).
Sometimes you just don't want to carry a tripod but still need a bit of additional support and I imagine it's also quite handy in the studio when you have to be flexible :)

So far I've found mostly Manfrotto (aka Bogen) monopods, namely the MMXPROA4 Over Aluminium with 4 segments. Has anyone ever tried it with MF?
Which head would you suggest? I'm thinking of a very simply 2-way head but haven't been able to find a suitable one that would also support the weight of a MF camera..

NancyP

Re: Monopod for Medium Format
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2016, 11:18:55 am »

The tiny tilt head Manfrotto makes may be a bit too small, although they are fine for ordinary consumer SLRs with smaller lenses. There are a number of very sturdy slightly larger tilt heads likely intended for sports and wildlife photographers with lenses in the 7 to 10 pound range. The platforms are also larger than the tiny Manfrotto head. List of vendors, in no particular order:
Custom Brackets (I have this one, very well made)
Kirk
Hejnar Photo
RRS
Acratech
Sunwayfoto
Maybe Feisol? I have two of their tripods, well made.

As for the leg itself, any stout (large diameter tubes) monopod ought to do. I happen to have a large Induro, which also serves me as a walking stick on hikes. But Manfrotto, any number of Chinese and Taiwanese vendors, Gitzo, RRS, Kirk, FLM, etc etc - anyone who makes tripods also makes a monopod. Carbon fiber if you need damping of vibrations, aluminum if you don't expect to need the damping.

razrblck

• Chill
    • Instagram
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 03:02:57 pm »

I have a Debo JF-5 (just throw away the self standing base, it's garbage). It is quite hefty and can stand a Bronica ETRS with 150mm like it's nothing. It can actually hold my weight (about 65kg).

I don't use a head with it, but if I were to chose I'd go with a Manfrotto XPRO ball head with Arca like QR plate.
Instagram (updated often)

Christoph B.

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2016, 03:57:44 pm »

I have a Debo JF-5 (just throw away the self standing base, it's garbage). It is quite hefty and can stand a Bronica ETRS with 150mm like it's nothing. It can actually hold my weight (about 65kg).

I don't use a head with it, but if I were to chose I'd go with a Manfrotto XPRO ball head with Arca like QR plate.

Yeah thing is that I want to switch between horizontal and vertical very quickly, so a head is definitely needed. I thought about buying a ReallyRightStuff L-plate (they make one specifically for the Mamiya/PhaseOne 645) and use it with an ArcaSwiss mount directly on the tripod - but I'm not 100% sure it'll be perfectly stable...

I'll take a loot an the Xpro Ball head - thank you!

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2016, 06:47:05 am »

Yeah thing is that I want to switch between horizontal and vertical very quickly, so a head is definitely needed. I thought about buying a ReallyRightStuff L-plate (they make one specifically for the Mamiya/PhaseOne 645) and use it with an ArcaSwiss mount directly on the tripod - but I'm not 100% sure it'll be perfectly stable...

I like the Really Right Stuff solution, which I use on a Gitzo carbon fiber (=light weight and vibration damping) monopod. The newer RRS tilt head for monopods is even better than the previous one that I use, and it's rock solid and lightweight. RRS also offers monopods, which are probably also very good.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

tochnia

• t-e-o.net
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 11:36:22 am »

My choice is Gitzo GM5561T which is rated up to 25kg /and height up to 155cm/ and have weigh of just 750g.
For me it handles easily DSLR with Grip and 400mm f2.8 so you won't have problem with any problem with Medium Format kits.
Pages: [1]   Go Up