Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: "the best photographers are adept at getting luck on their side"  (Read 27374 times)

Isaac

Re: "the best photographers are adept at getting luck on their side"
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2016, 08:42:50 pm »

!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 10:29:20 pm by Isaac »

Jose Viegas

The title of this thread is "the best photographers are adept at getting luck on their side".

If you're just interested in posting your photos for others to look at then your audience can be found in the Landscape & Nature Photography forum.

If you're interested in hearing what others think of your photos then post in the User Critiques forum.

Thank you Isaac for editing your post and adding those two last sentences. I'm new here but I can already see you are very helpful and kind.

Jose Viegas

« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2016, 03:59:32 am »

Exactly! Just like Isaac's musings about photography don't make him a photographer, although the rumor has it that he might, on occasion, even press the shutter... well, sometimes, at least ;)

P.S. Welcome to the forum, Jose! Very nice photographs in this and the other thread for someone who is too modest to call himself a photographer

Thank you Slobodan, it's not easy to be a newbie on a forum like LuLa where everyone knows each other for a long time, I'll try my best to integrate.

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2016, 04:04:59 am »

Jose, I think your photos help illustrate that perfectly good photos emerge from purely serendipitous, unplanned encounters with landscapes. So ignore Isaac.

stamper

« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2016, 04:51:43 am »

Are you planning to answer - In what way has looking at Matt Stuart's photographs improved your photography? What do you do differently now that you've looked at his photos?- or are you just going to carry on taking pot shots?

The evidence for my improvement is shown by the images I have posted here. A lot of them have been praised, some not and others ignored. I won't be wasting my time looking for images you have posted. The only one seen of yours is ironically .... a post.

AreBee

« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2016, 07:05:21 am »

Jose,

...it's not easy to be a newbie on a forum like LuLa...

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy...

Credit: Obi-Wan Kenobi

Rob C

« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2016, 10:25:51 am »

Trouble is, the title of this thread attempts to provoke a response that inevitably splits into at least two camps.

For a start, I wouldn't pay much attention to anybody who is a photography teacher, regardless of how brilliant they may have been thought to have been in their youth. If you're that bloody good, then you work at the job until you retire or are retired. Period. Teaching is for when you can get nothing better to do.

The above is simply what I believe; I'm sure the vast majority of people will disagree, and that's perfectly okay with me.

Belief, self-belief, can easily be said to be what governs the  'planning' or otherwise, of a shoot, depending, of course, on the shoot. I have recently watched again a David Bailey video where he is asked exactly that question: how much pre-planning do you do for a portrait? His response was to the effect that if he pre-planned anything in that way, he'd just tell somebody else to shoot it for him. It's off the cuff: a reaction to the person in front of him at the time. And it was always exactly the same thing in my own case: reaction to a smile, to a frown, or even to a moment of embarrassment. You don't plan this shit: it happens, and if not, then you are in the wrong job.

What we need here, in this discussion, is input from Cooter, who seems to have given up on this crowd of technicians without soul or imagination. Come back - you are still the best live actor on the set!

Just doing what stamper does is a perfectly normal and honest approach to being a photographer of the moment, passing, decisive or otherwise. Why create mental chains for yourself, unless, of course, there is a specific thing you want/have to seek out, when it becomes an entirely different conversation.

Heysoos, use your mind, your eyes, react to what you see, and if you can see nothing, buy a red top, a can of beer and book your a bench in the park.

Rob

Isaac

« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2016, 12:35:27 pm »

!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 10:29:00 pm by Isaac »

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2016, 01:10:58 pm »

Good for what? Recording we were there?

if that's all you manage, maybe. Some us like to think we sometimes do better than that.

Isaac

« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2016, 01:30:27 pm »

!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 10:28:49 pm by Isaac »

Isaac

« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2016, 01:53:28 pm »

Trouble is, the title of this thread attempts to provoke a response that inevitably splits into at least two camps.

No, the title of this thread invites the question -- How can I do that?

For a start, I wouldn't pay much attention to anybody who is a photography teacher, regardless of how brilliant they may have been thought to have been in their youth. If you're that bloody good, then you work at the job until you retire or are retired. Period. Teaching is for when you can get nothing better to do.

If you're that bloody good they keep showing your old work and when you retire from teaching they publish your new photographs.

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2016, 03:24:11 pm »

Unfortunately yes. It needn't. A discussion topic in a discussion forum should invite discussion. A priori I see no need for the discussion to split into two camps, which implies that there is some territory over which to squabble.  But partly because of forum history, and partly because that's what males tend to do, discussion topics often just become pissing contests.
--
Robert

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2016, 03:46:37 pm »

if that's all you manage, maybe. Some us like to think we sometimes do better than that.

Better for what?

I can only assume you are pretending to be so obtuse and deliberately being provocative. Better for creating a beautiful piece of imagery that people enjoy looking at, of course. Or are you doubting the artistic validity of any landscape photography?

Jeremy

Rob C

« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2016, 04:30:04 pm »

No, the title of this thread invites the question -- How can I do that?

If you're that bloody good they keep showing your old work and when you retire from teaching they publish your new photographs.

Dear Son of Hal,

Unfortunately, your systems have not noticed two things:

1. your first quotation illustrates my first point about youthful valour in the face of opportunity;

2. the second thing is that you have selected a most unfortunate example that, by contrast, makes the Avedon Olympic American West exercise seem terribly exciting indeed.

Chess, Go and space vehicles are not art... QED.

;-)

Rob C

Isaac

« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2016, 04:38:36 pm »

!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 10:28:07 pm by Isaac »

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2016, 04:50:42 am »

A beautiful piece of imagery that people enjoy looking at is not the only possible purpose of landscape photography.

I don't recall suggesting that it was. It is, however, a purpose.

Which people?
  • Just the photographer?
  • Family and friends?
  • Habitués of some particular on-line forum?
  • The public attracted to a local exhibition of photographs?
  • The jury of a national photography contest?
  • People all over the world, as potential buyers of a self-published book?
  • etc etc

Any of the above. All of the above. Perhaps, even, people who have characteristics of more than one of the above.

Why does it matter?

Jeremy

Isaac

« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2016, 01:06:15 pm »

!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 10:27:52 pm by Isaac »

AreBee

« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2016, 09:56:29 am »

Rob,

Why create mental chains for yourself, unless, of course, there is a specific thing you want/have to seek out, when it becomes an entirely different conversation.

The topic of conversation of this thread.

Rob C

« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2016, 02:37:37 pm »

Rob,

The topic of conversation of this thread.

That surprises me; I've just reread the entire thread, and it appears to be about whether or not Son of Hal can dig himself a deeper hole than the last one.

Perhaps you read it on Mac, whereas I have to make do with Windows.

Rob

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up