Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Metallic Effect Inkjet Media  (Read 1007 times)

deanwork

Best Metallic Effect Inkjet Media
« on: March 10, 2016, 10:11:45 am »

Hello,

I see that Epson has a metallic rc media out now in both gloss and luster surfaces.

I have been using the Proofline Photochrome made by Mitsubishi for several years and I would like to find out if the Epson surface is any improvement. They are all rc and all scratch easily I'm sure and they all are about the same price, expensive as a premium fiber media. I do see that Epson offers a 36" roll though where I don't see one for Proofline.

Has anyone used the Epson metallic and how do you feel about it.

Also how "metallic" does the Hahnemuhle metallic canvas look. I've never see it, and it may be an option for my client's show.

Thanks in advance,

John

BradSmith

Re: Best Metallic Effect Inkjet Media
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 01:05:54 pm »

See this recent (early February) link about metallics. But I don't think there was any canvas discussion.
Brad

http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=107844.0

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 10:23:27 am »

I use the Epson metallics and like them. It reminds me a little of Cibachrome P3 paper which seemed to have a metallic glow to it, though it's not as "deep" as the high-gloss polyester of the P3 paper.

I use it to print contemporary and historic Orthodox icons, especially if the original is gold leaf. Nothing else comes close for printing this subject. Some B&W works well--if there's a lot of mid-tones the prints seem silvery. Overall, both the gloss and luster are nice papers. I almost wish there was a thicker and more glossy version as the P3 paper, but that's a minor issue.

I would tell you to get a package and see how it compares with what you are now using.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

BradSmith

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2016, 12:18:44 pm »

Regarding the Epson papers.....In the earlier thread I linked above, I had mentioned getting a sample pack of metallics from IT Supplies in the US last September.  The downloaded Epson profiles were not good at all.  Here is what I said..."The Epsons metallics had bad profiles – they were too dark and the Ep Metallic LUSTER had a terrible profile that printed with a vivid pinkish hue."  It was so bad, I thought I must have made an error and double profiled it or something.  So I printed it again on the second sheet of the paper with my Epson 3800, being doubly sure I hadn't made a mistake.  Exact same result.  Probably by now they have now fixed this unbelievably bad profile.
Brad
Pages: [1]   Go Up