Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lee wide angle lens hood on Rodi 40mm with movement  (Read 1658 times)

wding109

Lee wide angle lens hood on Rodi 40mm with movement
« on: March 10, 2016, 02:38:57 am »

I am trying to find a solution to the flare issue on the Rodi 40mm, and the Lee hood seems a promising solution. But I am not sure if this setup allows any movement on the technical camera (in my case, arca swiss factum)... Can anyone help me?

Thanks a lot!

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: Lee wide angle lens hood on Rodi 40mm with movement
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 09:10:28 am »

You will have no problems, if you use the Lee Wide angle hood.  The 40mm is either 67 or 72mm I can't remember, but Lee makes a wide angle ring that will fit. 

The hood will help, but the 40mm is not a great lens to shoot into the sun or around the sun (really none of the Rrodenstocks are).  But the hood will allow you to use it without catching the edge of the sun and or getting the ghosting flare.

I use the Lee wide angle hood with 1 filter slot, and have added the Lee 105mm adapter ring to the front of the hood so I can use a 105mm CL-PL.  Movements  are not an issue up to 20mm of shift (you will hit the IC indicator @ 16mm of shift on the 40mm with most current Phase backs) and rise and fall are not effected either. 

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

wding109

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 12:03:34 pm »

Thanks Paul! This helps a lot!

tjv

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 01:39:34 pm »

For the 40mm you can also use the Lee universal lens hood, which might be a better option if you don't shoot ultra wides but mainly in the middle range.

rhsu

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2016, 12:00:19 am »

I also use LEE wide angle hood with both HR40 (T/S Cambo) and HR28 (Std).  Movements no trouble with 40mm because the hood attaches to the front lens vs hood attaches to the camera unit itself.

wding109

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 12:26:47 pm »

I also use LEE wide angle hood with both HR40 (T/S Cambo) and HR28 (Std).  Movements no trouble with 40mm because the hood attaches to the front lens vs hood attaches to the camera unit itself.

Does it really help reduce the flare on 40mm?
Thanks!

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2016, 12:58:11 pm »

Yes,

The Lee Hood helps a lot with ghosting flare, (not as common on the 40mm but will occur) and angle sun flare/bright light etc.  I use the hood 100 percent of the time on the 40mm, but I am also most times using a CL-PL or ND or both.  But even in shots that don't need it, I still keep the hood on the 40mm.  The Lee system has only one main drawback, the release of the hood is way too easy to just push off.  And if you load it up with filters, it's front loaded.  You can easily just brush against the hood and push the whole thing off.  I have done plenty of times.  I now have a rubber band system, that allows me more security, as it fits over the release knob and won't allow it to back off with pressure to the hood.

I had hoped that over the years, Lee would adapt the same twist down screw lock they use on the SW-150 for the 100mm filter holder (which also is used by the wide angle hood).

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

wding109

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2016, 01:57:21 pm »

Thanks a lot! Paul!
Pages: [1]   Go Up