Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Using LR without internet  (Read 10583 times)

David S

Using LR without internet
« on: March 09, 2016, 07:54:22 am »

Is there some way to use LR for extended periods without being connected to the internet?

Dave

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: Using LR without internet
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 08:02:31 am »

Is there some way to use LR for extended periods without being connected to the internet?

Dave

Great question. I have wondered how this would work also. As once away from an Internet connection CC products can no longer check for authentication.   I have assumed that Adobe will allow continued use of a license in the field or in remote locations but have never tried it.

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 08:19:19 am »

It's supposed to be OK for 4 months - or rather one month plus 99 days from the moment you authorised it online. See this page, and remember the AdobeCare Twitter account which is a good way to contact someone who can authorise the software for longer periods. But as Paul says, you never know for sure until you try it.

chez

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 08:23:00 am »

I believe the software checks for valid subscription once every month. If it can't verify a valid subscription ( can't connect to the Internet ) you are warned and given a 7 day grace period if your subscription is paid monthly and a grace period of 99 days if you pay annually.

So in theory you could be away from the Internet for about 4 months if you pay annually for the subscription.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2016, 10:14:45 am »

Ok,

Here is where my issue happens.  I have 6 machines running with CC right now 3 laptops, and 3 PC.  I can only have 2 machines active at a time, which I understand. 

If you take out a laptop, that was not on CC (signed in) and get into the field, where CC can't make it's phone home, but you left 2 other machines signed on, what happens? 

In the field CC can't reach out to even check to see how many machines are currently logged on, so will it allow that 3rd machine to work? or should I remember to log on to the PC (for field use) before I leave?

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2016, 10:20:00 am »

If you take out a laptop, that was not on CC (signed in) and get into the field, where CC can't make it's phone home, but you left 2 other machines signed on, what happens? 
Those other machines can run, the one in the field might not. Maps and Develop module disabled; other modules should still run.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 11:13:07 am »

So I guess the solution is to sign off from all machines before a long trip where you will need CC products for an extended period of time, and sign on with the laptop you know you will have with you?

Thanks
Paul C
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

Rick Popham

• http://
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2016, 02:03:34 pm »

So I guess the solution is to sign off from all machines before a long trip where you will need CC products for an extended period of time, and sign on with the laptop you know you will have with you?

Thanks
Paul C

This won't work with any of the other subscription-ware, but you could set up a different Adobe account, buy LR 6 perpetual, install it on the laptop, activate it and no longer worry about it. You won't have access to "Dehaze", if that matters to you, because that was added as a subscription feature.

Rendezvous

• Daniel Talbot Photo Blog
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2016, 09:37:55 pm »

Is it possible to get a brief connection using your phone as a hotspot? I realise this might not be the case for many people.

The library module and import still works I believe, just not the develop module.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2016, 03:50:59 am »

Is it possible to get a brief connection using your phone as a hotspot? I realise this might not be the case for many people.

The library module and import still works I believe, just not the develop module.

As Andrew said, everything works except you can't go into Develop (Quick Develop is OK) or use Map.

I'm no fan of these authorisations, but this 4 month window seems pretty reasonable for the overwhelming majority of people. If you are an exception, just think of contacting Adobe Care on Twitter as another preparation for wherever you're going, like getting inoculations or taking diarrhoea tablets.

David S

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2016, 04:07:55 pm »

To add more info to my question.

This is not the CC version of Lightroom but the standalone version. It tries to check every time I launch the program even if only minutes apart. I want to use it on a laptop that never connects to the Internet. I bought this program and have registered it but it seems I need to keep confirming that things are OK. Doesn't seem OK to me.

As a test, I blocked Adobe contacts and the program "INSISTED" I register it after a month.

Dave

Denis de Gannes

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2016, 04:26:10 pm »

This is not the CC version of Lightroom but the standalone version. It tries to check every time I launch the program even if only minutes apart. I want to use it on a laptop that never connects to the Internet. I bought this program and have registered it but it seems I need to keep confirming that things are OK. Doesn't seem OK to me.

As a test, I blocked Adobe contacts and the program "INSISTED" I register it after a month.

Dave

The stand alone version also requires that you have an internet connection and an Adobe Account to Activate and Register the application. If you do not "Sign out" to close Lightroom then your product will remain activated.
To wit "Sign in" is to activate "Sign Out" will deactivate and you will have to have connection via internet and your Adobe Account to activate it again. You are allowed to have two activated installations.
If you wish to close Lightroom after use use the Lightroom Menu bar to "quit" See the screen captures.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 04:34:11 pm by Denis de Gannes »
Equip: iMac (Ret. 5K,27"Mid 2015),macOS 10.15.6

Rick Popham

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2016, 06:31:15 pm »

Dave

As Denis said, you do have to activate and register when you first install the program. (Back in the pre-CC days, LR never needed to be activated.) After that LR will try to access the internet to check for updates and generally clog things up while it's doing that.  You can turn that off in preferences.  After all that, the stand alone version shouldn't need an internet connection. 

David S

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2016, 06:34:25 pm »

I must be missing something as I see no sign-in or sign-out anywhere in Lightroom. I have "check for upgrades" not chosen and I use the Quit menu item to close LR and still I get the demand to allow me to let LR link to Adobe and macromedia etc whenever I launch.

Dave

rdonson

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2016, 08:14:58 pm »

Use the Creative Cloud app
Regards,
Ron

Rick

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2016, 05:14:26 am »

I must be missing something as I see no sign-in or sign-out anywhere in Lightroom. I have "check for upgrades" not chosen and I use the Quit menu item to close LR and still I get the demand to allow me to let LR link to Adobe and macromedia etc whenever I launch.

Dave

David, do you also have a subscription to CC on the same Adobe account?  LR 6 won't coexist with a subscription, rather it will install as LR CC if there is a subscription on the account when it's activated.

( Rick Popham -- for some reason I lost my identity when I posted this )
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 05:21:35 am by Rick »

David S

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2016, 09:30:10 am »

No subscription now or in the past.

Dave

Rick Popham

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2016, 12:53:14 pm »

I'm stumped.  Sorry.  Have you tried to get help on the Adobe Forum?

rdonson

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2016, 12:59:41 pm »

No subscription now or in the past.

Dave

It sounds like the registration with Adobe had issues.  Have you signed into Adobe.com to view/verify the products you own?
Regards,
Ron

David S

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2016, 01:08:52 pm »

Have but will do again.

Dave
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up