Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vancouver Island BC  (Read 3842 times)

Caslon

Vancouver Island BC
« on: March 07, 2016, 11:54:08 pm »

Looking for some ideas on places to photograph on Vancouver Island, our HQ will be Ucluelet.
Last week in March, we'll be bringing the Helly Hansen gear!

Best

Gary

chez

Re: Vancouver Island BC
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 08:51:13 am »

Are you planning on doing any kayaking or other types of tours? Do you shoot landscape or wildlife? Give me some more info and I can give you some ideas.

Caslon

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 10:17:14 pm »

Thanks Chez,

I shoot landscapes, mostly panoramas and my son is big on wildlife.
Not adverse to getting in a kayak for sure, wales should be migrating about then I hope.

Thanks

Gary

Rory

• Recent images
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 07:49:41 pm »

Here is a map with some locations I frequent. 
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/roryhi

pcgpcg

• paulglasser
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2016, 09:21:07 pm »

As I recall Ucluelet (only been there once years ago) has a scenic harbor so might be nice for photographing boats in the fog, etc. I've made several trips to Tofino (an hour north), however, and it is spectacular.
...my son is big on wildlife.
Years ago there was a wolf pack that hung out on the beach just south of Tofino. They became so habituated to humans (people threw them food, etc.) that they started to become a danger so the authorities removed them. Now I've heard that in just the last couple years a few have moved back in. You might ask around to see about photo opportunities. No grizzlies to worry about, but there are quite a few black bear on Vancouver Island as well

Not adverse to getting in a kayak for sure, wales should be migrating about then I hope.
In the summer you can rent kayaks and paddle around (with a tour or by yourself) the islands around Tofino, which are very scenic - highly recommended for photographing. However, March is a stormy month and I doubt that this will be possible then.
In addition to migrating gray whales, there may be resident orcas in the area as well.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 09:35:43 pm by pcgpcg »

BradSmith

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2016, 01:40:30 pm »

Here is a map with some locations I frequent.

Rory,
I'm curious about how you produced your map.  I see it is in Google Maps, but how did you add the dots and the names and comments that go with them?
thanks,
Brad

Rory

• Recent images
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2016, 01:49:20 pm »

I'm curious about how you produced your map.  I see it is in Google Maps, but how did you add the dots and the names and comments that go with them?

I did this a few years ago, using goggle "my maps".  At that time it had a feature where you could add your own markers.  I'm not sure if you can still do that, as they came out with an "improved" version.  The google map editing features are not that intuitive.  Anyway, after you add a marker, you can edit it to add notes, links and images.  Then cross your fingers and hope google continues to support your efforts.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/roryhi

BradSmith

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2016, 05:14:15 pm »

Rory,
thanks.  I'll give it a try.

Caslon

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2016, 10:38:51 pm »

Thanks for all the great suggestions.

Best

G

RPark

• Raymond Parker Photography
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2016, 02:28:47 pm »

Late to this discussion, but San Josef Bay, on the northwest coast, is a must. Easy, 2km hike on a trail so good you could wheel a barrow full of gear down to the beach.  :) The sea stacks have been photographed a million times, but ... there's the challenge: to interpret the scene in a new way.

Caslon

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2016, 12:40:55 am »

What are the roads out there like? How long from Port Hardy?
Thanks for the tip.

G

RPark

• Raymond Parker Photography
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2016, 01:09:05 am »

Presuming you're asking me how far/long from Hwy 19 to trailhead to San Josef. 70km/about 2hrs. Road gets a bit bumpy (drive accordingly) but I drove it last in my VW Golf wagon.

What are the roads out there like? How long from Port Hardy?
Thanks for the tip.

G

muralin

• Murali's Website
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2016, 11:17:56 pm »

Yes, we can :-). I just created a 3-min tutorial using Microsoft's Screen Recorder on a Windows machine. Adding markers seem to work only on the Chrome browser. Didnt work for me on Internet Explorer. May be google is disabling certain features when the browser is not Chrome. You can download the 3 MB video (wmv) file at https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6804276/Screen.wmv.

I'll post this as a separate topic as well for broader reach.

I did this a few years ago, using goggle "my maps".  At that time it had a feature where you could add your own markers.  I'm not sure if you can still do that, as they came out with an "improved" version.  The google map editing features are not that intuitive.  Anyway, after you add a marker, you can edit it to add notes, links and images.  Then cross your fingers and hope google continues to support your efforts.
Murali
https://www.muralipix.com (Photography trips blog with pictures & location info)
Pages: [1]   Go Up