Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alpine Frost  (Read 1419 times)

maddogmurph

• Maddog's Photography
Alpine Frost
« on: March 07, 2016, 03:58:53 am »

This is the view from Muktinath across a large expanse looking at Dhaulagiri in the Himalayan mountains of Nepal. To get here is a feat in itself as it's situated high in the mountains. When I arrived there was a fuel shortage and most of the towns in rural Nepal were feeling the effects of vehicles having no fuel. Supplies were short, and the people were also feeling effects of decreased tourists as a result of the recent earthquake.

It's almost irrelevant what you wear in high altitude the cold is bone chilling. I can't explain how small I feel here, these mountains make elephants into ants. It's hard to understand the scale, but essentially it would take literally days of walking straight up to summit the mountain you're looking at. There is nothing like these mountains in the world.
Maddog Murph
www.depictionsofbeauty.com
Mostly here for constructive feedback.

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
Re: Alpine Frost
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 04:08:19 am »

Great light and subject. Inspiring.

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 07:46:40 pm »

Would love to see more of what's below what you've shown...or, at least, share with us your decision to crop/compose it out.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

maddogmurph

• Maddog's Photography
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 10:51:49 pm »

Would love to see more of what's below what you've shown...or, at least, share with us your decision to crop/compose it out.

I have wide angle shots, and have zoomed in pano shots for higher resolution. I was thinking to do a pano stitch originally. Something like this. I actually like a latter version better than the one I've already posted, it's just a minor grad filter which increases the magenta color and brings the brightness down slightly in the sky. I'm undecided on the upper right magenta cast as a result...

Maddog Murph
www.depictionsofbeauty.com
Mostly here for constructive feedback.

francois

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 10:52:51 am »

I like the pano version very much. The first and last shots only show me mountains that can be everywhere in the world. In the panoramic version there's the village and other details that tell me a more interesting and complete story.
Francois

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 12:51:52 pm »

I like the pano version very much. The first and last shots only show me mountains that can be everywhere in the world. In the panoramic version there's the village and other details that tell me a more interesting and complete story.

Agreed! Context makes it. The mountains in the first are awe inspiring but I want the context too.
-MattB

Jens Peermann

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2016, 08:21:17 pm »

Wonderful light!

KBStudio

• Kim Brun Studio
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2016, 10:52:21 am »

I too like the wider view.
Pages: [1]   Go Up