Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: got ram?  (Read 2686 times)

rabates

got ram?
« on: May 11, 2006, 07:58:04 pm »

Monarch Computer is having sale on the ddr2 ram that my pc has in it. I have 2meg now. I downloaded a ram meter. I opened CS, Nikon View, Nikon Editor, Google earth, turned on the TV tuner card, Firefox, Thunderbird, had Spybot  run a check. I then opened and duplicated a raw file , did some levels and filters. I was not able get the ram meter above 65%. The cpu did go to 85 %. (3 meg). I had thought my crashes with CS were due to lack of ram, but that doesn't seem to be true. Maybe it is just the typical Windows hangs. Or was my torture test not that tortuous.

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
got ram?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 08:26:03 pm »

Your test was not nearly enough.  I can run processes on a photo to get it ready for printing that will take my 2G, then start gulping large GB chunks of swap for lunch.  You may not need the RAM personally, if that's the only kind of stuff you do...but some of us can never have enough!  If you're having crash issues, it's not because of a lack of RAM anyway.

Serge Cashman

got ram?
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006, 08:39:15 pm »

Crashes are unlikely to happen because of the lack of RAM. They can be caused by RAM quality however (a serious concern when buying budget RAM). And for an infinity of other reasons....

tived

• http://
got ram?
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2006, 09:54:32 am »

You can never have too much RAM ;-)

if your computer is crashing, check the dump file and see what it is that is causing the crash. or what was the last thing running!  

It must likely isn't windows as in MS-windows fault! but something that isn't installed correctly and is causing a conflict.  

most errors on computers happens between the chair and the keyboard! be it Mac or PC or *nix  

good luck

Henrik

PS: I would still buy the extra ram though  
Pages: [1]   Go Up