Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems with RRS tripod (TVC 33) loose leg  (Read 2312 times)

GeraldB

• Gerald Bloch Photography
Problems with RRS tripod (TVC 33) loose leg
« on: March 06, 2016, 11:06:12 am »

I bought a RRS TVC 33 Tripod some years ago. From the beginning I found that one leg would become loose and flop around. It needsto be tightened with allen keys. It will only stay tight for a while and then loosen up again. It can become loose during a single day of shooting when starting from fully tight. Is anyone else experiencing this problem before I go back to RRS.
thanks
Gerald

Colorado David

Re: Problems with RRS tripod (TVC 33) loose leg
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 01:43:15 pm »

Not a RRS Tripod user, Gitzo here, but have you tried Loctite on the screw?

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2016, 01:44:50 pm »

Same thing here. I tighten it regularly. Personally, I don't consider it a flaw. That is, unless RRS has a recall  ;D

Additional thought: I suppose you could take it completely apart and try to determine why it gets loose - but it would seem to me that the other legs should loosen over time also and I haven't had that happen.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 02:03:35 pm by JohnBrew »

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 02:10:16 pm »

Hi,

I have been trough that. The problem is probably that RRS has applied Locktite improperly. That has happened to me. I contacted RRS and have been told which Locktite to use and that solved my problem.

Here is my communication:

Sent: Tuesday, October 02, 2012 3:49 AM
To: Info
Subject: Problem with Versa Pro 3 series tripod

Hi,

I recently acquired a TVC-33S Versa Series 3 Tripod while on travel to US. I was very satisfied with the tripod, but found two issues.
1) The leg joins loosen after a couple days of use. In one week of shooting I tightened the two screws connecting each leg to the tripod neck. Can I fix this by applyin some locktite on the male thread. Which Locktite to use if that would be OK?
2) According to description the APEX lock screw would be fixed with medium strength Locktite. I changed the top plate to a TA-3-LB and felt no resistance when loosening the APEX screws. I expected some resistance. Is that OK?
Due to circumstance I would not like to send in my tripod for service, but prefer to fix it myself. Can you advise?

Best regards
Erik

-------------

Erik,

Loctite is definitely recommended on the leg joint screws. It was installed during assembly here, but as you can see vibration and repeated use can slowly break that free. I’d recommend taking out one screw – whichever comes out easier, the other should stay in place – and applying 1-2 drops of Loctite 242 (blue, medium strength) inside the female threaded barrel.

The Suregrip™ Apex locking screws should not require Loctite, but you could do the same with those if you like. I would keep the application to 1 drop for those, since the threads are finer.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Jim Weise
_________
Really Right Stuff, LLC
1146 Farmhouse Ln.
San Luis Obispo, CA 93401 USA
Toll free from the US and Canada  - 888.777.5557
ReallyRightStuff.com
_________
Subscribe to our E-Newsletter for all the latest info, new product releases, and tips on photography techniques, ideas, and destinations!
http://reallyrightstuff.com/WebsiteInfo.aspx?fc=103
_________

------------------

So what happened in my case was that RRS did indeed apply Locktite, to the bottom of the screw. No Locktite in the threads at all. Adding some Loctite solved all problems.

Best regards
Erik

I bought a RRS TVC 33 Tripod some years ago. From the beginning I found that one leg would become loose and flop around. It needsto be tightened with allen keys. It will only stay tight for a while and then loosen up again. It can become loose during a single day of shooting when starting from fully tight. Is anyone else experiencing this problem before I go back to RRS.
thanks
Gerald
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 02:02:05 am by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

GeraldB

• Gerald Bloch Photography
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2016, 08:33:02 pm »

Thanks Erik. I'll give that a whorl.
Pages: [1]   Go Up