Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My Windows 10 Upgrade is here!  (Read 4412 times)

Evanford

My Windows 10 Upgrade is here!
« on: March 05, 2016, 12:59:03 pm »

Folks,

Quick question for Lightroom and NEC Spectraview users.  For the past year I have been getting messages from Microsoft about upgrading by PC from Windows 7 to Windows 10.  I am sure Lightroom CC /photoshop have no issues with it, but what about Spectraview and Multiprofiler for my NEC PA 241W monitor?  I guess I should ask NEC that question (and I will) but I thought I would run it by here to see if anyone is running under that combination.

I upgraded my wife's pc to Windows 10 last year and have some familiarity with it, but she is not running any color management software.  According to Microsoft my current machine is fully compatible with Windows 10.

Thanks,

Evan 

TomFrerichs

Re: My Windows 10 Upgrade is here!
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 02:35:22 pm »

I'm using an old P221W with the NEC supplied (X-Rite) sensor and Spectraview Version 1.1.30 on Windows 10 just fine.  When I did my 7->10 upgrade, it was an earlier build of Spectraview, and it also worked without issue.

Tom Frerichs

paulbk

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 05:56:58 pm »

Anyone,
Does upgrade to Win-10 provide any advantage for photography post processing, Lightroom, Photoshop?
I'm now using Win-7. Works fine, no problems. Other than some net surfing, my computer is used for post and storage. Storage: I'm using 6 TB RAID via USB. Works fine.
paul b.k.
New England, USA

TomFrerichs

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2016, 08:16:22 pm »

Perhaps the most important point is the continued availability of security updates.  Eventually MS will stop supporting Windows 7.

The Windows 10 UI is a bit different from Windows 7, although I think it's much better than Windows 8--far less "tablet oriented".  The upgrade was fairly painless. Everything worked, except for the driver for a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio interface, and in that case Focusrite came out with a (initially) beta driver and then a release driver.

Everything, Adobe CS6 and (at that time) LR 5 worked fine. Additionally NIK, On1, and DxO worked. SilverFast 8 ran without issue. My Epson 3880 printer driver worked fine, too. Even my very old graphics tablet, an off-brand and not a Wacom, installed without issue.

You asked specifically about photo editing, but SoundForge and a raft of audio software (Studio One v3, Native Instrument's Kontakt, IK Multimedia's Miroslav) worked just fine.  In fact, all the software I had installed earlier just continued to work.

About the only change I ran into was the default browser is Microsoft Edge, and it does not support Java applets.  However, IE is still installed, and it does continue to support applets. Of course Chrome quit supporting that API some time ago, so I wasn't surprised.

It doesn't see to run any better, but it also doesn't run any worse.  At least the dreaded "blue screen of death" -- see Focusrite driver above -- is prettier.

Tom Frerichs
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 11:08:46 pm by TomFrerichs »

TomFrerichs

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2016, 08:25:37 pm »

Oh...and it took some time to find Solitaire.  Now THAT was a drawback of Windows 10.  I was about ready to write a "what happened to the good old days?" lament.

Tom Frerichs

kencameron

• Recent Photographs
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2016, 10:19:52 pm »

Anyone,
Does upgrade to Win-10 provide any advantage for photography post processing, Lightroom, Photoshop?
I'm now using Win-7. Works fine, no problems. Other than some net surfing, my computer is used for post and storage. Storage: I'm using 6 TB RAID via USB. Works fine.
I stuck with Win-7 for a while, but don't regret eventually going to Win-10. The upgrade went smoothly, everything just works, and my system does seem to be a little bit faster with LR and PS, although I have done no testing so that is probably confirmation bias.
Ken Cameron

Osprey

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2016, 10:27:19 pm »

Folks,

Quick question for Lightroom and NEC Spectraview users.  For the past year I have been getting messages from Microsoft about upgrading by PC from Windows 7 to Windows 10.  I am sure Lightroom CC /photoshop have no issues with it, but what about Spectraview and Multiprofiler for my NEC PA 241W monitor?  I guess I should ask NEC that question (and I will) but I thought I would run it by here to see if anyone is running under that combination.

I upgraded my wife's pc to Windows 10 last year and have some familiarity with it, but she is not running any color management software.  According to Microsoft my current machine is fully compatible with Windows 10.

Thanks,

Evan

I was amazed my Gretag Eye One Display 2 works with the Eye One Match software from 6+ years ago.  I think I had to do some kind of loading the driver myself thing, but otherwise it's been working fine. 

stamper

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2016, 03:48:44 am »

Folks,

Thanks,

Evan 

A friend of mine told me last week that some types of SD cards are not recognized by windows 10 when you insert them into a card reader.

Simon Garrett

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2016, 05:55:39 am »

Anyone,

By and large, no perceptible difference in speed.  Some graphics functions are quicker - especially on newer (Haswell and later processors).  I've read some benchmark tests that report small improvements overall. 

You can get back to the W7 start menu with Classic Shell (free).  Of the various replacement start menus I like Classic Shell the best as it keeps the W10 start menu as well.  There are some minor but useful improvements to the desktop (Windows Explorer has some new features, the mouse wheel scrolls any window, not just the active...)

There are some gotchas that can be got round, usually by Googling for solutions:
  • It won't, by default, load unsigned drivers (some old applications may include unsigned drivers).  However there's an easy work-around so that next boot it will load them with a warning (Google for it).
  • A very vew old applications that worked on W7 refuse to load saying that it won't work on this operating system.  Try right-clicking the installer and choosing "Troubleshoot compatibility" - that usually works. 
  • By default, you can't get into Safe Mode by thumping F8 during boot.  Google for how to boot into Safe Mode (including changing an option so it reverts to the old style).
  • The new Photo App is awful and not colour managed.  The old Windows Photo Viewer is there; Google for how to activate it.
  • The old games (Solitaire, Freecell...) aren't included, but plenty of people have packaged the W7 versions for download - Google for them.
  • No DVD player by default - plenty of free ones; I use VLC Media Player.

The main gotcha that can't be avoided: it downloads and installs updates whenver it pleases, clogging up my slow broadband - always when I'm trying to do something useful on the Internet.  You can schedule when it reboots after an update but not when it downloads them.  Clearly Microsoft engineers can't conceive of anyone not having high-bandwidth Internet. 

I wouldn't give Windows 10 a glowing recommendation, but it's OK.  After upgrading you get 30 days during which you can revert to W7.  I decided that on balance it was slightly better than W7, and stuck with it. 

paulbk

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2016, 06:57:10 am »

Thanks to all for the feedback. I have an older HP workstation, dual processor. Not really fast, but not slow either. It hasn't been turned off in 5 years. I stay with Win-7. Upgrade to Win-10 when I get a new machine.

fyi.. It appears that Photoshop_cc takes advantage of my dual processors. But not Lightroom.
paul b.k.
New England, USA

Simon Garrett

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2016, 07:14:41 am »

I stay with Win-7. Upgrade to Win-10 when I get a new machine.

That would be my suggestion.  If it ain't broke don't fix it.

I'm using W10 on most machines in the house because:
  • An older machine was already running W10 for evaluation
  • My wife's new laptop came with W10 (no option)
  • I've recently changed the motherboard on my PC, and with 32G RAM either I had to pay for W7 Pro (W7 Home supports only 16G max) or use W10 free.

But as you've decided, I didn't upgrade to W10 (except for one machine to evaluate) until I more-or-less had to do so.

Rand47

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2016, 08:10:14 pm »

I upgraded to W10 from W7 Pro.   Updated to latest Spectraview version (free download, just need your original SN) for my NEC PA271 and no issues at all re calibration.   LR & PS CC run as before w/o issue. 

Having said that, I see zero reason to have upgraded to W10.  It isn't faster or better on my machine (i7, twin SSD, 32 gigs RAM), it is just different.  Change for change's sake from a user point of view, though supposedly it is better "under the hood" code-wise.  There was a "configuration curve" on a few other things in order to get W10 working the way I want (preferred browser, hot links in Outlook, "de clutter" the user interface, etc.).  I won't revert to W7, but it wasn't really worth the hassle of "upgrading."

Rand
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 08:13:47 pm by Rand47 »
Rand Scott Adams

MBehrens

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2016, 08:43:44 pm »

Evan,

I have the PA241 with Windows 10 and SpectraViewII. I didn't do an upgrade of Win 7, a clean Win 10 install. The install of SpectraView went fine, however it tells me that there is a new version - 1.1.30 - available every time I run it, when that is the version I have installed.

I have DP and DVI ports on my video card and the SpectraView would not work with the DP port. Tried connecting the USB as well and setting that up, but until I connected with the DVI port SpectraView would not see the monitor. Also, the BIOS and Windows would only see the DVI port as monitor one, which I think was part of the SpectraView issue. My second monitor is an old ViewSonic that is not calibrated, so having it as Mon2 is preferable.
Spectraview works great and there are no issue with the icc profile or SpectraView loader on startup.

Printer drivers was a little different story. Some vendors (Canon) are not building new drivers for Win 10. At least not for my old Pro 9500. Using the Win 8 drivers seem to work just fine.

Rusty

• http://www.woodsgift.ca/
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2016, 11:53:29 pm »

Upgraded to Win 10 a few months ago, all good, better than expected. 5 year old laptop i5 processor 8gb of ram. similarly not problems with NEC monitor and its spectra view calibrator. LR runs fine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up