Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Forum Spam  (Read 5196 times)

mbridgers

Forum Spam
« on: May 11, 2006, 12:26:44 pm »

Looks like the forum is getting spammed more and more.  Right now there are 2 in the "About this Site" forum.  

Is there a security flaw that's allowing this to happen?  Or is it just inevitable when a site gets popular?

francois

Forum Spam
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 12:30:40 pm »

...Is there a security flaw that's allowing this to happen?  Or is it just inevitable when a site gets popular?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=65108\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
It's easy to register, then write a couple of spam posts.... then register under a new name and ...
That's the modern life, unfortunately!  
« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 12:31:03 pm by francois »
Francois

Gabe

Forum Spam
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006, 01:33:05 pm »

It's easy to register, then write a couple of spam posts.... then register under a new name and ...
That's the modern life, unfortunately! 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=65109\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Man.. I wish I had that kind of free time!

..oh wait.. no I don't -- that would make my life hollow, empty, and pathetic! (said the man writing this very post) YAY for having no time for anything! Now someone pay me $80 through Pay Pal

michael

Forum Spam
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2006, 04:15:37 pm »

I've been deleting their acccounts and banning the IP addresses.

If it becomes a bigger problem I'm going to have to institute a system of requiring new users to register and for me to validate their accounts. A hassle for me and for everyone else.

Michael

sgwrx

Forum Spam
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2006, 05:52:08 pm »

when i signed up, i can't remember if there was one of those authenticate by typing in "the letters you see in the box" options?

i wonder if that would help?  though, i don't know if it's costly or what?

EDIT:  i just tried creating a new account, it had the image authentication. wow, i'm surprised that doesn't help.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 06:10:28 pm by sgwrx »

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Forum Spam
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2006, 06:34:07 pm »

EDIT:  i just tried creating a new account, it had the image authentication. wow, i'm surprised that doesn't help.

That only works for spamming 'robots' - computers that are setup to send out spam messages and create accounts automatically.  Doesn't work if an actual person signs in.  I've been a moderator on a couple of lists where new members were 'moderated', meaning that one of the moderators had to read and approve their messages before they were posted to the list.  It works, but can be a bit draconian depending on the moderators, and can be very time intensive...

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Forum Spam
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2006, 06:47:10 pm »

That only works for spamming 'robots' - computers that are setup to send out spam messages and create accounts automatically.  Doesn't work if an actual person signs in.  I've been a moderator on a couple of lists where new members were 'moderated', meaning that one of the moderators had to read and approve their messages before they were posted to the list.  It works, but can be a bit draconian depending on the moderators, and can be very time intensive...
Mike.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=65139\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Same experience here, and these spam posters do seem to be remotely human, so you'll need coverage from enough moderators in a set of time zones. Come to think of it, a couple of former Rob Galbraith moderators can be relied upon to enthusiastically delete such posts....

sgwrx

Forum Spam
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2006, 07:20:58 pm »

that's a bummer. and LOL on the RG thing!
Pages: [1]   Go Up