Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad H6D  (Read 34812 times)

landscapephoto

Re: Hasselblad H6D
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2016, 12:54:01 pm »

Well, let's hope something new comes out and prices get lower, because by reading only this forum one could be led to assume that medium format has become an exclusive preserve of art institutions and very successful individuals who use Phase One. It is not clear whether this is an effect of pricing, or of 35mmm finally becoming "good enough".  However, what makes the situation even harder to read is that there are zillions of old Hasselblad/Imacon, Phase and Sinar tethered backs for sale on ebay around $1K, and an old Mac tower computer configuration to drive these comfortably would be $500 or less. So if medium format tethering is so wonderful, why don't studio shooters buy old trucks (old MF) rather than new cars (new 35mm)?

Probably because the studios needing them already have them. You would not believe the number of studios shooters who still use old backs.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 01:02:22 pm by landscapephoto »

landscapephoto

« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2016, 01:01:52 pm »

In EU anything below 1000€ is either a very old Leaf that requires some weird cables, or old Phase One backs that can only be shot tethered. While someone in the studio might be fine with that, they will also end up with something that costs quite a bit as a complete system (back + body + lenses + Mac) and that still has a 24x36mm sensor (or a weird 36x36mm).

Imacon backs start from 1400€ for the back alone in H mount (which means spending 2000€ to 4000€ more for body+lens in good conditions), or a complete V system with a 150mm Sonnar. All Imacon solutions are based on the Imagebank (or can be tethered directly to a Mac), which grounds them in the studio. At least those have sensors bigger than 35mm cameras.

Anything more modern than that, and you're looking at spending something between 4500€ and 8000€ (without going to the various IQ/Credo and H5D stuff), at which point you are much better off paying a bit more and getting something new OR investing all that money in a complete 35mm system with two bodies.

Prices on the used market haven't changed much from last year and they look less and less interesting as very old stuff is being sold at quite high prices. Leica S is even worse than that, as it loses value slowly and the difference between used and new prices isn't that much to even bother. Pentax used is pretty much just the 645D, if you can even find one. But good luck with the lenses.

You are probably not using the right second hand sellers. Prices are significantly lower than 4500€ for H3D-31 or even H3DII-31 (for example) and the first versions of the Leica S (CCD) have gone down quite a bit in price.

Probably the best of them all has to be finding a good H3D kit. You will be stuck with an old back, but it will have at least a better screen than the H2D or H101 solutions.

Actually, the H3D has a small screen with weird colours (it is a 2.2" OLED screen, but they were quite poor at the time). The H3DII has a larger LCD screen, which most people prefer.

razrblck

• Chill
    • Instagram
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2016, 01:36:21 pm »

You are probably not using the right second hand sellers. Prices are significantly lower than 4500€ for H3D-31 or even H3DII-31 (for example) and the first versions of the Leica S (CCD) have gone down quite a bit in price.

Actually, the H3D has a small screen with weird colours (it is a 2.2" OLED screen, but they were quite poor at the time). The H3DII has a larger LCD screen, which most people prefer.

I should've made it clear I was talking about the II version, sorry.

As for the price, I'm considering a usable kit (which means accessories, body, batteries, back and lens). If you want a lens other than the 80mm, you have to rise the price a bit.
Instagram (updated often)

landscapephoto

« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2016, 02:50:53 pm »

As for the price, I'm considering a usable kit (which means accessories, body, batteries, back and lens). If you want a lens other than the 80mm, you have to rise the price a bit.

For 8000€, I can sell you a nice H3DII-50 with 2 batteries, charger and a 80mm lens, including delivery to Italy and VAT.

Miyata610

« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2016, 03:25:42 pm »

In EU anything below 1000€ is either a very old Leaf that requires some weird cables, or old Phase One backs that can only be shot tethered. While someone in the studio might be fine with that, they will also end up with something that costs quite a bit as a complete system (back + body + lenses + Mac) and that still has a 24x36mm sensor (or a weird 36x36mm).

Imacon backs start from 1400€ for the back alone in H mount (which means spending 2000€ to 4000€ more for body+lens in good conditions), or a complete V system with a 150mm Sonnar. All Imacon solutions are based on the Imagebank (or can be tethered directly to a Mac), which grounds them in the studio. At least those have sensors bigger than 35mm cameras.

Anything more modern than that, and you're looking at spending something between 4500€ and 8000€ (without going to the various IQ/Credo and H5D stuff), at which point you are much better off paying a bit more and getting something new OR investing all that money in a complete 35mm system with two bodies.

Prices on the used market haven't changed much from last year and they look less and less interesting as very old stuff is being sold at quite high prices. Leica S is even worse than that, as it loses value slowly and the difference between used and new prices isn't that much to even bother. Pentax used is pretty much just the 645D, if you can even find one. But good luck with the lenses.

Then there is the odd Mamiya branded DM or ZD back, which may come in wildly differing prices because some people don't seem to have a clue what the value should be. Oh, and the rarest of them all, a Kodak back! I've only ever seen one and it was gone in a few minutes, but it's not like you have that much choice.

Probably the best of them all has to be finding a good H3D kit. You will be stuck with an old back, but it will have at least a better screen than the H2D or H101 solutions.

Yep. That's how I got here. A nice H25 for the equivalent of $US900 with a big 37x49 sensor, a few hundred dollars for a 503Cx and few more for each of my four Zeiss lenses (50/80/120/150).

My 2013 MacBook Air was another $300 and it powers the H25 without a problem as long as I use the USB cable trick. Oh and C1 version 9 is wonderful, and totally free of charge.

The whole lot fits in a relatively small shoulder bag and is a pleasure to use in the field. I carry an external battery just in case, but rarely need it.

Capture Pilot on an iPhone is my chimping device.

Medium format cheap happiness. :)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 03:30:00 pm by Miyata610 »

Chris Livsey

« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2016, 04:09:00 pm »

It's all about support as well, my H1 still receives firmware updates from Hasselblad, enabling the new battery etc, and if it really breaks they are super cheap and plentiful or even upgrade to a H2 !!
My Phase One back, as noted above, seems to receive automatic upgrades with each Capture One Release, which cost me nothing.
Cost wise: more than a D500 but less than a D5  ;)

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2016, 08:55:22 pm »

For 8000€, I can sell you a nice H3DII-50 with 2 batteries, charger and a 80mm lens, including delivery to Italy and VAT.

And I have a bridge in London to sell you :)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Bridge_(Lake_Havasu_City)#/media/File%3ALondon_Bridge%2C_Lake_Havasu_City%2C_Arizona_(3227888290).jpg

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

matted

« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2016, 09:48:57 pm »

... Oh and C1 version 9 is wonderful, and totally free of charge.

...My Phase One back, as noted above, seems to receive automatic upgrades with each Capture One Release, which cost me nothing.....

Am I missing out on free Capture One Pro somehow?? Here I am paying for it ($300 for initial license plus $100 for every upgrade). What did I miss?

DanielStone

« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2016, 10:37:44 pm »

Am I missing out on free Capture One Pro somehow?? Here I am paying for it ($300 for initial license plus $100 for every upgrade). What did I miss?

They're referring to Capture One DB, which is only capable of tethering with digital backs, no DSLR's.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2016, 12:07:02 am »

Hi,

Capture One Pro, MFD edition is free for Phase One backs.

Best regards
Erik

Erik Kaffehr

Miyata610

« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2016, 12:42:26 am »

They're referring to Capture One DB, which is only capable of tethering with digital backs, no DSLR's.

It supports all Phase One files, not just tethered capture.  It also has ALL the features of the paid version, but only for Phase One images.

landscapephoto

« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2016, 01:16:53 am »

And I have a bridge in London to sell you :)

Razbick is saying 8000€ is the going price for this kind of camera. If he is ready to pay that sum, I am simply offering to sell mine: an H3DII-50 with 2 batteries, charger and a 80mm lens.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2016, 04:13:12 pm »

Razbick is saying 8000€ is the going price for this kind of camera. If he is ready to pay that sum, I am simply offering to sell mine: an H3DII-50 with 2 batteries, charger and a 80mm lens.

Yes, London Bridge also found a buyer. Doesn't mean it was useful :)

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

matted

« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2016, 04:56:17 pm »

Hi,

Capture One Pro, MFD edition is free for Phase One backs.

Best regards
Erik

It supports all Phase One files, not just tethered capture.  It also has ALL the features of the paid version, but only for Phase One images.

Gotcha. For the purposes of this, do Leaf images count as Phase One images?

Thanks!

Miyata610

« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2016, 05:17:56 pm »

Gotcha. For the purposes of this, do Leaf images count as Phase One images?

Thanks!

yes

When you select DB during the licence setup it states....

"The full package of Capture One Pro, free to use for Phase One or MamiyaLeaf users only."

matted

« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2016, 05:25:32 pm »

yes

When you select DB during the licence setup it states....

"The full package of Capture One Pro, free to use for Phase One or MamiyaLeaf users only."

Good to know. Thanks!

Sorry for derailing the Hasselblad discussion...

FelixWu

« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2016, 04:33:40 pm »

Looking forward to flash sync at 1/2000s ; )

maxs

« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2016, 08:41:35 pm »

Now that would be nice but somehow I feel that may not be on the list of upgrades for the H6D :-(

Joe Towner

« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2016, 09:32:45 pm »

I would actually encourage Hasselblad to build a Broncolor RFS 2.1 trigger into the H6 body.  It would allow for cleaner use when using a waist level viewfinder.  I'd add they need to make a speedlight hotshoe adapter for their system, price it on sale for $100 each, and ideally make it so you can manually control both/either Nikon/Canon lights.
t: @PNWMF

razrblck

• Chill
    • Instagram
« Reply #59 on: March 14, 2016, 03:23:54 am »

Faster sync would require new leaf shutter design (thus new lenses).

I don't know if it's mechanically possible to make one that is accurate and reliable as the current one but at 1/2000, or even big enough to allow the apertures of the current fast lenses. Even if you use new and expensive materials to toughen up the shutter leaves, you'll still need bigger coils for the added speed which will make the lenses slightly bigger (or the shutter smaller, reducing the maximum aperture possible). Lots of compromises have to be made, but maybe they are already working on the next gen lenses that will make this possible.
Instagram (updated often)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up