Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson r1900 vs dye for glossy  (Read 530 times)

spinellino

Epson r1900 vs dye for glossy
« on: March 03, 2016, 08:45:41 am »

I currently own a Epson r1900. In the last few years I printed exclusively on satin/lustre papers (Canson Baryta and Canson Platine) . I don't care about matte papers.

Recently I tried a few fujiflex and metallic paper prints and I really love them for some type of photos.

I then tried some ultra glossy paper with my r1900: the results are quite nice, but I can't quite get the pop I can get with lightjet prints.

So I started to ask myself: is a dye printer (Epson 1430/1500 or canon pro 100) a better option for my needs?

So I would like to ask you:

-how big is the difference between dye and pigment + GLOP on ultra glossy paper?

-what about on Baryta paper?

-how close to the lightjet prints can I get with a dye printer?

Thank you

Paul Roark

Re: Epson r1900 vs dye for glossy
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 11:02:42 am »

The Epson Claria dyes are amazingly good looking on high gloss papers.  I've been buying them in bulk in the Noritsu (made by Epson) carts and using them in not only a 1400 but also an Epson 4000.  See http://www.paulroark.com/BW-Info/4000-Noritsu-2K.pdf .  My main target was black and white printing on metallic paper.  The difference between the dyes and pigments on that substrate makes all the difference.  The dyes soak into the coating, whereas the pigments just sit on top of it.  The dyes do not have the artifacts of the pigments on high gloss papers.  (They also do not clog.)  In comparison, on the metallic paper, the pigments seem to veil some of the effects we get from that medium.  Of course, on the flip side, the dyes are not in the same league as the best pigments in terms of lightfastness.  I would say they are good for medium term display.  Wilhelm has some optimistic numbers.  After three years of display you'll be able to detect warming if you pull them out of the frame and compare the edges that were covered by the frame.

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up