Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuji MF rumors getting stronger. Photokina announcement mooted  (Read 7816 times)

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: Fuji MF rumors getting stronger. Photokina announcement mooted
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 07:40:55 am »

http://www.fujirumors.com/medium-format-fuji-50mp-sensor-available-2017-new-source/

ITS COMING.   Built around the 50MP Sony chip. It will be an interesting development. Really interested in the lenses.

Paul C

Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

torger

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 08:19:07 am »

Will it be mirrorless? If it's mirrorless and priced like a Pentax 645z it could be a great "poor man's digital back" for an Actus or Universalis, just like the A7r-II is today for the even poorer people ;)

The flange distance of the 645z is huuuuge, but if it's reasonably small in a mirrorless body it could be about equivalent in usability to a digital back on the Actus/Universalis as this sensor likes to have some distance to the lens anyway.

eronald

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 08:43:47 am »

I think mirrorless is a given. Also, I would expect $4K pricing since the Sony chip should be at $400 or so by 2017. Unless they use a fullframe chip. This whole thing only makes financial sense if the UI from an exisring model is reused, so look at the new Fujis to see whether you can live with the menus ...

Edmund

Will it be mirrorless? If it's mirrorless and priced like a Pentax 645z it could be a great "poor man's digital back" for an Actus or Universalis, just like the A7r-II is today for the even poorer people ;)

The flange distance of the 645z is huuuuge, but if it's reasonably small in a mirrorless body it could be about equivalent in usability to a digital back on the Actus/Universalis as this sensor likes to have some distance to the lens anyway.
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016, 08:52:15 am »

Hi Paul,

Could be really right stuff… Fuji knows a lot about doing things right…

Best regards
Erik

ITS COMING.   Built around the 50MP Sony chip. It will be an interesting development. Really interested in the lenses.

Paul C
Erik Kaffehr

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 09:16:15 am »

If Fuji makes a mirrorless CMOS MF camera, I might get rid of my 35mm kit completely.
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

eronald

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2016, 09:55:30 am »

I would be surprised if Hassy don't do a mirrorless cooperation. Having their camera/lens subcontractor as competitor is life-threatening. They might do an identical body with a different CFA and tethering software - Fuji owns a big marriage studio market in Japan.

I find Fuji lenses a bit of an acquired taste, loved the Zeiss look.

Edmund
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 09:59:03 am by eronald »

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2016, 09:59:48 am »

Hi,

That's a good point… We need to wait and see!

Best regards
Erik

I would be surprised if Hassy don't do a mirrorless cooperation. Having their camera/lens subcontractor as competitor is life-threatening. They might do an identical body with a different CFA and tethering software - Fuji owns a big marriage studio market in Japan.

Edmund
Erik Kaffehr

araucaria

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2016, 10:03:27 am »

If it's mirrorless, it's total win.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2016, 10:24:39 am »

Hi,

I can agree on all points…

Best regards
Erik

Mirrorless is the only thing that could get me back into MFD.

That said I worry about the size of the lenses. I would also question the advantages of such a camera over the current full frame competition.

Time will tell.
Erik Kaffehr

eronald

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2016, 04:54:36 pm »

Mirrorless is the only thing that could get me back into MFD.

That said I worry about the size of the lenses. I would also question the advantages of such a camera over the full frame competition.

Time will tell.

Mirrorless can be very compact and use compact lenses with small flange distance as there is no need for the mirror space. Look at the A7R2.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2016, 05:35:18 pm »

Mirrorless would mean no AF, right?

Cheers,
Bernard

Ken R

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2016, 08:54:08 pm »

Yes, its mirrorless.

Imagine an X-T1 but a bit larger.

New line of lenses as well like the X system lenses.

They figured they already have the compact system in the APS-C X system so might as well go big since full frame is too close in size. The 50mp Sony CMOS sensor makes it possible while keeping price very reasonable.

Fuji is great at designing and making lenses. Fast.

Will it be cheap? Dunno but the X system while affordable is priced a bit higher than others.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2016, 09:22:10 pm »

Cheers,
Bernard

You lost me?  Why would mirrorless not have AF? 

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

eronald

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2016, 10:28:52 pm »

Cheers,
Bernard

Depends on the sensor. I believe any large sensor Sony makes from now on will have on-chip Phase-contrast pixels. And then there is phase contrast and the focus-from-defocus technique Pana uses on the GH4, which is really fast.

Edmund

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2016, 04:09:28 am »

I'm lost - where has Fuji confirmed this development?

torger

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2016, 06:48:48 am »

Large aperture lenses get large and heavy by necessity, small aperture lenses can be small and light (like classic leica M rangefinder lenses for example) but is probably a problem if you want to have good auto-focus, and is probably also not wise from a popularity standpoint as "short depth of field" is a thing people would expect from a medium format camera.

Trading small aperture and large vignetting against a sharp distortion free, small and light optics is what I did in my tech cam but I think that type of tradeoff is dead in a modern camera due to the above reasons.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2016, 11:29:40 am »

I agree it's a seesaw and probably will be for a while.  Fuji has quite a few projects to get out this year, hopefully the X-T2 and a few more primes. 

More than likely if nothing is shown at photokina in Sept, it won't be happening for a while. 

Over the past 3 years, I have followed the fujirumors site pretty closely and the owner seems well informed and most times the repeated rumors happen eventually. 

Fuji's biggest hurdle to me is the optics, and if they go mirrorless, (which I assume they will), it will mean a lot of new glass.  This would also mean they they jump the full frame 35mm market totally.  Fuji commented over a year ago that they were not interested in full frame 35mm at the time.  So maybe they feel the mirrorless 50MP chip gives them a bigger market.  Hard to tell. 

As I have stated many times, on this site and others, for my way of thinking, Fuji's single largest issue is the lack of good raw support for their x-trans chips.  LR has issues as does C1 and from the raw files I have seen from the X-Pro2, the same issues still exist.  So I would rather see Fuji step up and work with closer with Adobe and or Phase One or both and give the current technology the boost it needs. 

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

JV

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2016, 05:52:21 pm »

Fuji's biggest hurdle to me is the optics, and if they go mirrorless, (which I assume they will), it will mean a lot of new glass. 

Launching a new body with a new lens mount and a very incomplete lens line-up (1-3 lenses) has almost become the new trend... and companies even seem to get away with it as well...

This would also mean they they jump the full frame 35mm market totally.  Fuji commented over a year ago that they were not interested in full frame 35mm at the time.  So maybe they feel the mirrorless 50MP chip gives them a bigger market.  Hard to tell. 

The 35mm market is too competitive, I don't believe Fuji would stand a chance...

As I have stated many times, on this site and others, for my way of thinking, Fuji's single largest issue is the lack of good raw support for their x-trans chips.  LR has issues as does C1 and from the raw files I have seen from the X-Pro2, the same issues still exist.

C1 does a fairly decent job nowadays IMHO, not as good as Iridient but still very good.  Not sure why LR can't get it right...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up