Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Methods for Lens Flare  (Read 1378 times)

maddogmurph

• Maddog's Photography
Methods for Lens Flare
« on: March 02, 2016, 02:41:39 pm »

I'm not sure what this artifact is actually, color noise, glare, regardless it's ruining a few of my images and I didn't take one with my thumb in front of the glare so I have no choice but to ask if any of you have dealt with an issue like this, and what methods you might have used to recover the area with the glare/color noise?

*Edited to reflect that this is a lens flare problem for future searches by members (thanks to Pegelli for that)

« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 03:29:50 pm by maddogmurph »
Maddog Murph
www.depictionsofbeauty.com
Mostly here for constructive feedback.

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
Re: Methods for Color Noise
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 03:42:29 pm »

I think it's lens flare, caused by the backlight in combination with the lens (or lens-sensor interaction). It's not color noise (that's random speckled color pixels in low light/high iso images)

The way to deal with it is selectively select the area (with some feather) in photoshop and on a separate layer selectively adjust, color, contrast, clarity, brightness etc. until it looks the same as the piece of rock to the left and below. I've had mixed success with trying this, it takes quite some time with lots of trial and error, so only worthwhile for a few pictures that are really worth the significant time investment.
pieter, aka pegelli

maddogmurph

• Maddog's Photography
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 04:38:57 pm »

I'm leaning towards this composition is good enough without stitching the top photo in and working for like 2 hours on trying to get that lens flare out.
Maddog Murph
www.depictionsofbeauty.com
Mostly here for constructive feedback.

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 04:55:08 pm »

I'm leaning towards this composition is good enough without stitching the top photo in and working for like 2 hours on trying to get that lens flare out.
I know it's a cardinal sin here, but cropping the bottom off from just below the sharp/wet boulder on the left improves the image for my taste.
I just happened to first look at it that way due to the max height of my screen, and only later saw the additional boulders/flow below.
Hope you don't mind, in case you do I apologize  ;)
pieter, aka pegelli

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 07:56:22 pm »

I'm not sure what this artifact is actually, color noise, glare, regardless it's ruining a few of my images and I didn't take one with my thumb in front of the glare so I have no choice but to ask if any of you have dealt with an issue like this, and what methods you might have used to recover the area with the glare/color noise?

The large area of blue haziness is reminiscent of a lens with a slight smudge on it. Were you eating oeanut butter that morning maddog?
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Jens Peermann

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 08:00:17 am »

The rocks on the left side appear soft while the rocks on the right side appear in focus, even though both are at the same distance. This could point to a lens problem.

davidh202

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2016, 11:08:59 pm »

I played with it ,and its easier to adjust with the adjustment brush  in ACR (Lightroom) and reduced it considerably by selectively feathering and adding yellow and magenta with the sliders to the white balance of that area to counter the blue, and lowering the exposure and contrast slightly, but adding some clarity at the same time. I blended it in three stages with the surrounding rock face.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 11:22:52 pm by davidh202 »

pluton

Re: Methods for Lens Flare
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2016, 02:44:53 pm »

I agree with Lux:  it looks like smearoids on one of the glass surfaces.  Fingerprints, dried up water deposits, etc.
Could be front or rear on the lens, hopefully not inside the lens.
Pages: [1]   Go Up