Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Info needed for Oregon, Washington coastal shooting, Luminous Landscape Grant  (Read 5540 times)

bellimages

• http://www.bellimages.com

Having recently been awarded the M. Reichmann Luminous Landscape grant, I intend to spend a few weeks shooting coastal work. This work, combined with work that I have produced along Coastal Lake Superior, in Canada, will be combined to produce a portfolio type book.

As you can see by the attached image (from Lake Superior, 2015), I prefer overcast skies. I'm in tune with weather patterns for Lake Superior (and it's only a day's drive from my home). Unfortunately I know nothing of costal OR and WA weather patterns. Generally speaking, what months might provide a nice "soft box" type cloud cover? I'm assuming that fall would be a great time to shoot, with moderate weather temps.

Also does anyone have any tips for protecting one's tripod, camera/lens/filters from salt mist? I remember shooting a few years ago at Point Reyes Seashore in California. My tripod was wet by the time I returned to my vehicle.

Jan Bell, Bell Images
www.bellimages.com
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 09:12:31 pm by bellimages »
Jan Bell, Owner/Photographer, Bell Image

pcgpcg

• paulglasser

First, congratulations on your grant. You do beautiful work!

I live inland and not on the coast, but based on my occasional visits over the past 30+ years, overcast skies are generally the rule except for summer time. The last two years have been somewhat odd though, with clear skies and temps reaching the low 70s a couple days this past February.

Fall often brings the worst wind storms. November can see wind gusts over 100 mph. So if you are planning on traveling here for a short stay in the fall I would plan on being done by mid-October. If you have weeks to hang out, then you are more likely to find the conditions you want. By January things seem to calm done and settle into a pattern of storm fronts (rain and wind) moving in every other day or so with little or no clear skies in between, but not the terrific winds that sometimes show up in Nov. and Dec. By summer clear skies (with the exception of fog banks) are generally the rule.

You will see signs on the beaches warning of sneaker waves. Don't ignore the warnings. If you get absorbed in your work and can't have one eye on the ocean then have someone spot for you. Be aware of your surroundings and take care when in a vulnerable area - i.e. a beach backed by a cliff with a pile of multi-ton logs stacked at the base or a shallow rocky spit that can be dry for hours and then suddenly be under ten feet of 50 degree water. 

Oregon has more miles of dramatic coastline (scenic rocky outcroppings) than Washington. Given enough time, I would hit the Olympic Peninsula and then plan on taking in the entire Oregon coast.

bellimages

Paul, First off thanks for your kind words. We all work hard, and hopefully enjoy the work we do. I especially like your "Cloud Forest" photo, as well as the subtle tones in "Low Tide at Dusk, Swept Clean" and the subtle tones of the whitebark pine series.

In the caption for the "Low Tide" photo, you talk about how sneaker waves can come upon you without notice. I've never experienced them along the California coastline (north and south of San Francisco). Who knows, I could have been in danger when I was shooting at Bowling Ball Beach in northern California. Please educate me more on this.

January through April are down times for me. And from what you say, it sounds like that might be a good time to visit (no tourists either). Hopefully temperatures are not too cold. Although I've worked in 20-30 degree temps (all day long) in Canada, but that's NOT fun! Do the winter months bring snow? I'm guessing that it would be rare along the coast.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 11:59:12 pm by bellimages »

Jens Peermann

Oregon has more miles of dramatic coastline (scenic rocky outcroppings) than Washington. Given enough time, I would hit the Olympic Peninsula and then plan on taking in the entire Oregon coast.

I agree. Compared to the Oregon Coast, the coast of Washington State is outright disappointing, except for the areas west of Olympic National park, many of which are actually part of that park. There I would recommend a visit to Cape Flattery which has a huge coastal swamp in a rain forest, a scenery that may suit your style.

The Oregon Coast will make you feel like a kid in a candy store, all the way from Astoria down to Brookings Harbor.

pcgpcg

• paulglasser

Thank you Jan.
you talk about how sneaker waves can come upon you without notice... Please educate me more on this.
I have never experienced one first hand, but years ago I had a friend who had just moved here from the east coast during the winter. He and his wife couldn't wait to get to the Oregon coast for a weekend of exploring. While walking on a beach backed by a cliff they were overwhelmed by a sneaker wave. As he related it, they were underwater for a considerable amount of time and when he got to the surface all he saw was logs bobbing around. They both escaped without serious injury, but it was a traumatic event that left them shaken and forever wary of Oregon beaches. I take them very seriously and am more cautious than most people.
January through April... might be a good time to visit (no tourists either). Hopefully temperatures are not too cold...Do the winter months bring snow? I'm guessing that it would be rare along the coast.
Yes, snow is rare and the temps are generally mild in the winter - 50s and 60s. What makes it unpleasant is ever-present wind that chills you to the bone. Also, you will find a few tourists as winter storm watching is a draw. Certainly fewer people than summer though, and if you are dressed for wind chill and getting your feet wet you will be fine.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 10:56:28 am by pcgpcg »

duane_bolland

• flexiblelightphotography.com

I agree with Paul.  Winter is downright nasty on the coast.  Astoria averages 67 inches of rain per year, 27 of that is in the winter.  Summer only gets 5 inches on average.  Spring and fall will provide the best chance of cloudy-but-not-soaking conditions.  Weather normally arrives from the southwest.  Weather radar is really good for anticipating weather conditions a couple hours out. 

And if you come this way, you should check out the Columbia River Gorge.  The diversity of terrain and weather is amazing. 

For me, ocean spray isn't a big deal.  The tide is either out or I'm above it (on a cliff).  Hit me up off line and I can help you more.  I live in Portland and I know some special places. 

Eric Brody

• http://www.ericbrodyphoto.com

Congratulations on your award, what a wonderful opportunity!

I am fortunate to have lived in Oregon for much of my adult life and since I've been photographing since I was nine, that's a powerfully long time. The Oregon Coast is truly a treasure, all 300+ miles, which, Thanks to Tom McCall, our visionary governor from 1967 to 1975, it's ALL PUBLIC LAND. Each part has it's strengths, there are few weaknesses. I've travelled all of it, mostly the north and central areas since I live in the Portland area but you can literally pick a spot and be able to make great images. My favorite is the central and south, from Yachats south to Bandon. A single message cannot convey the wealth of beauty. As someone also suggested, the Columbia Gorge, an hour east of Portland, is spectacular beyond belief, though it does require some hiking uphill to get to the good stuff.

Winter tends to be stormy but it's not often cold, certainly by Lake Superior standards. Autumn is lovely, often overcast just because of the common marine layer of cloud but I've had clouds and rain in August as well. Spring can have everything from sun to hail, quite unpredictable but that's the beauty. Bring rain gear and rain protection for your equipment whenever you come. If you have specific questions about specific areas, please feel free to message me. I'd be happy to help.

bellimages

.... and if you are dressed for wind chill and getting your feet wet you will be fine.

I have good waterproof hiking boots. But they don't keep my feet dry when a wave comes up and over them. I've had that happen on more than one occasion at Lake Superior. Being that I'm from the midwest, I have no idea what people wear to stay dry along the coast in the Pacific Northwest. Would waders be a good idea? They would keep me dry all the way up to my chest. But I'm guessing that they would not be very comfortable to wear all day (cumbersome, sweat, etc.).
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 09:33:15 am by bellimages »

pcgpcg

• paulglasser

I have no idea what people wear to stay dry along the coast in the Pacific Northwest. Would waders be a good idea? They would keep me dry all the way up to my chest. But I'm guessing that they would not be very comfortable to wear all day (cumbersome, sweat, etc.).
Jan, do not wear waders. If you get a wave over you and they fill with water, you are now unable to swim.
In the summer when I feel fairly confident I won't get swamped by a sneaker wave, I sometimes wear these.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/XTRATUF-INSULATED-RUBBER-BOOTS/1869429.uts?productVariantId=3931089&srccode=cii_17588969&cpncode=42-156895596-2&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=03945029&rid=20

I see people wearing boots like this in the winter, but I don't feel safe in them. Any time other than summer, I wear sneakers and wool socks with nylon pants (which dry fast). It's a trade-off of warmth for safety and not a perfect solution. I will probably get wet feet, but if I get swamped I'm not hindered by boots or waders, and the wool socks will keep you fairly warm. Take a couple extra pair (both socks and sneakers) so you can swap them out for dry ones.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 11:55:25 am by pcgpcg »

Eric Brody

• http://www.ericbrodyphoto.com

I'm at the Oregon coast with some regularity and usually wear just mid height hiking boots. Sadly, I once earned a "Neptune Award" from my photography friends when I was intently working and a small sneaker wave inundated my bag and destroyed a Nikon 45mm PC-E lens. My feet were fine. Fortunately I had insurance on the lens. Some folks wear gum boots to allow wading in tide pools. I agree that waders could be dangerous but if you get into water deep enough to flow into waders, your day and/or gear is likely ruined anyway.

The real key is to keep an eye on the ocean and keep your gear clear of the water and wet sand by whatever means necessary. This is easier since I use a small digital camera with a small carbon fiber tripod and no longer use 4x5 or medium format gear with all the extra stuff to manage. I usually keep the camera bag on my back and put it down, on dry sand only, or on a small tarp, to get out a lens, filter, or new battery.

WaynePeterson

Fly-fishing wading boots with lugged soles, neoprene wading socks. The boots will accept screw in studs for great traction.

Work very well for everywhere I've used them on the Oregon Coast -- rocks, tide pools. 

All available from Orvis, sometimes from Sierra Trading Post, Amazon,
“Unconcerned but not indifferent.”
― Man Ray

bellimages

Fly-fishing wading boots with lugged soles, neoprene wading socks. The boots will accept screw in studs for great traction.

Work very well for everywhere I've used them on the Oregon Coast -- rocks, tide pools. 

All available from Orvis, sometimes from Sierra Trading Post, Amazon,

With these boots, you simply wade into the water (if you want). Water fills the shoe, but drains away when you leave the water. Correct?

bellimages

I have this worked out. Thanks to all of you who offered up suggestions.

grilla

• http://thecolorblindphotographer.net

Jan I have a suggestion for you. Post it here when and where you will be in Oregon. Some of us "locals" might be able to offer some tips, plus it would be nice to meet you.

bellimages

Jan I have a suggestion for you. Post it here when and where you will be in Oregon. Some of us "locals" might be able to offer some tips, plus it would be nice to meet you.

I'd definitely be up for coffee or an awesome Oregon beer .... or possibly some shooting. Do you have a website where I can see some of your work?

NancyP

Now I have another location on my bucket list....
Pages: [1]   Go Up